Position Title: Associate Principal Scientist, Product Safety & Toxicology
Location: Clark, New Jersey (Hybrid)
Department: Product Safety
For more than hundred years, L’Oréal believes that beauty needs Science. In a world now transformed by digital technology and the emergence of new scientific domains, we are confident in our ability to turn these opportunities into major innovations, closely linked to the new consumer expectations all over the world. Science & Technology are allowing us to invent safe, trustable, sustainable & responsible beauty products and experiences that will change people’s lives.
L’Oréal Research & Innovation (R&I) has continuously invested upstream in its research with a high level of ambition. Our 4 100 L'Oréal R&I people are talented and highly skilled, located in major markets, working in a cooperative way, open to the world.
The Product Safety group is responsible for the safety evaluation, testing and documentation of raw materials and finished products developed, or acquired by L’Oréal USA, in compliance with global regulations and guidelines.
The Associate Principal Scientist in Product Safety & Toxicology is responsible for having an in-depth working knowledge of toxicology and safety risk assessment principles and includes providing technical leadership to a team of highly technical individuals responsible for the review and compliance of the safety of raw materials and finished products as well as the support of claims related to product safety.
As an Associate Principal Scientist in Product Safety & Toxicology, your main responsibilities are:
- Conduct robust safety assessments that meet global regulations on raw materials and finished formulations for a category of products (e.g. Skin, Hair, Make-up or Fragrance) including OTC products
- Evaluation of ingredients, raw materials and formulations for internal and external labs based on risk assessments conducted and communicate safety approvals through product specific meetings
- Assist with compiling and reviewing of Cosmetic Safety Reports for compliance with EU and other global regulations
- Interact with various groups within Safety, Regulatory and Claims (SRC), to ensure sufficient supporting data (in vitro and/or clinical safety studies) is developed and executed to substantiate safety of raw materials and finished formulations
- Conduct literature searches as needed to generate robust safety assessments
- Proactively participate in discussions on internal safety positions
- Represent Product Safety at product development meetings to provide safety support of new and existing product development
- Expected to be an effective communicator across the organization to provide clear recommendations on various safety issues to both scientific and non-scientific audiences
- Provide technical leadership and development within the Product Safety function of SRC Americas with regard to cosmetics, OTC monograph products, drugs, medical devices and chemicals throughout the product lifecycle.
- Develop a strong interface with all global stakeholders, particularly R&I and Business divisions.
- Provide technical leadership and direction to cross-functional international teams across multiple product categories.
- Provide the expertise required to defend Group's safety policy and projects before the relevant authorities and stakeholders.
- To work with senior management on safety-related issues in terms of company responses and positions on our products and safety protocols.
- To assist in working towards the harmonization of safety testing protocols and determinations of the necessary evaluations needed for raw materials and finished products.
- Follow toxicology-related issues to identify those that may have local and global regulatory impacts (CIR, RIFM, ANVISA, Health Canada, and other testing requirements of regulatory agencies).
- Represent L’Oréal in trade associations and other external liaison scientific task forces and monitor key safety-related issues related to company interest and make recommendations to management regarding possible courses of action.
- Lead cross-disciplinary projects initiated within the Worldwide Safety Evaluation network.
- May represent the Product Safety team as technical contact on projects requiring coordination between multiple work units.
To Succeed In This Position, you have:
- PhD in Toxicology or related discipline (required)
- 5-7 years of progressive technical and leadership experience in industry, focusing on product safety (required)
- Proven track record in providing technical leadership in field of expertise
- Relevant product safety expertise in the cosmetic, OTC, consumer health care, medical device and/or pharmaceutical industries, with global vision of the profession
- Highly conversant and knowledgeable in principles of toxicological risk assessments
- DABT or ERT is a plus
- Participation in various technical & liaison organizations within the industry (SOT, PCPC)
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills
- Expertise in general toxicology concepts, especially skin/eye irritation, skin sensitization, genotoxicity and phototoxicity preferred
- Expertise with New Approach Methodologies (NAMs) is highly desirable
- Expertise in in-vitro/clinical safety study data
- Extensive knowledge and proficiency in risk assessment principles/practices and ingredient reviews are required
- Ability to analyze and summarize complex safety-related issues and initiatives for key business target audiences.
- Proven leadership skills with a strong results orientation, positive "hands on" attitude and a sense of urgency to get things done with demonstrated grace and even temperament under pressure.
- Full proficiency in English, additional Spanish or French language skills a plus
- Must be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time, permanent, ongoing basis, without the need for sponsorship now or in the future
What's In It For You:
- Corporate Short Term Incentives (Corporate Profit Sharing Bonus, Individual Performance Bonus)
- Competitive Benefit Package (Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K, Pension Plan)
- Hybrid Work Policy (Up to 2 Days Work from Home)
- Flexible Time Off (Paid Company Holidays, Paid Vacation, Vacation Buy Program, Volunteer Time, Summer Fridays & More!)
- Access to Company Perks (VIP Access to L’Oréal’s Internal Shop for Discounted Products)
- Learning & Development Opportunities (Unlimited Access to E-learnings, Lunch & Learn Sessions, Mentorship Programs, & More!)
- Employee Resource Groups (Think Tanks and Innovation Squads)
- Access to Mental Health & Wellness Programs
If you identify yourself in this position, please apply by uploading your resume in a PDF.
The L'Oréal Group is convinced that difference is a deep source of wealth, that allows everyone to grow, to challenge themselves and to go further. We strongly encourage everyone to always dare and never censor themselves. Skills can always be learnt. We will be delighted to exchange with you!
To discover our scientific and technical functions at L'Oréal Research & Innovation, please check our career website : https://careers.loreal.com/en_US/content/ResearchInnovations?3_4_3=128
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application for a recognized disability under applicable law, please email [email protected] Please note this email will only respond to specific requests for assistance completing the application as a request for accommodation for a disability. All others will not be considered.