Job Title: Director of Business Development – West, Essie Professional
Reports To: Vice President, Sales – Essie Professional
Division: Professional Products Division (PPD)
Location: Western U.S.
Role and Responsibilities
The Director of Business Development - West is responsible for developing, managing and implementing successful strategic business plans for the sales of Essie Professional products in Nail Distribution, Brokers (Freeman Group, CFN) and National Accounts (Beauty Brands, Nordstrom.com) throughout the US, including all account administration. This position is also responsible for establishing strong business relationships with Corporate Management to include Marketing, Finance and Sales Administration. The Director of Business Development will be an integral member of the team and will interact with management in all aspects of strategic business planning to meet agreed-to sales goals and objectives.
The position will be directly/indirectly responsible for all sales operations within the West territory (encompassing the states of WA, CA, OR, AZ, NM, CO, UT, NV, ID, MT, SD, ND, NE, KS, AR, TX, IL, IA, MN). This includes achieving monthly sales targets, program implementation for the assurance of product sell-through, trade budget management, customer inventory planning and customer relationship building.
The candidate will directly manage two brokers, the Freeman group, CFN and small National Accounts (Beauty Brands, Nordstrom.com).
Success will be driven by sharp customer strategy and planning (monthly sales goals, promotional programs/budget, brand merchandising), solid customer relationships (built by frequent in person sales calls), business analysis and fulfillment of customer needs and management of product supply, pricing and product sell-through (ultimately into the local salons/nail bars).
- Develop monthly customer sales targets and annual promotional plans for existing accounts.
- Open new states for the Essie brand, via conquest of new distributors.
- Establish regular call schedule for customer base.
- Manage the efforts of 2 CFN broker reps in California to success.
- Build new broker agency relationship and sales effectiveness to cover OR, AZ, NM, CO, UT, NV, ID, MT, SD, ND, NE, KS, AR and to meet sales and distribution goals.
- Enhance brand merchandising and environment within the distributor and salon/bar: Ensure Essie displays and shelving goals achieved; ensure Essie POS materials are executed.
- Set/manage everyday brand pricing and promotional pricing programs.
- Conduct analysis of sales to measure year-over-year customer inventory levels and brand performance metrics (i.e. promotional effectiveness).
- Manage reporting to track performance by customer against goals.
- Meet/exceed new product launch targets.
- Responsible for ensuring all spending for West is within budget and in accordance with spending policies: T&E, trade fuel spending, special project labor, special promotional programs, and markdown programs.
- Establish and meet division sales goals for regional geography and Broker while keeping a strong handle on cost controls, to insure company profitability for respective customers.
- Create and implement promotional activity and incentive programs for Brokers.
- Prepare business reviews and presentations for monthly business calls along with new item sell stories for major customers.
- Through field work, report competitive activity to management.
- 40%-60% Travel depending on home-base/geography
The Essie Director – Business Development, West leads all customer relationships (whether direct or with broker reps) for the West sales territory. This business-minded individual takes personal responsibility for achieving monthly sales results without compromising quality standards. Their direct manager is the VP of Sales, whom they will build a strong and productive relationship with. Secondary relationship is with GM of the business. This person has strong interpersonal skills and must work autonomously and in an entrepreneurial manner with proven track record of success in the CPG and/or nail industry.
Qualifications, Education, Experience:
- Bachelors degree required. MBA is a plus.
- College graduate with 7-10 years of sales and business management experience in CPG.
- Experience successfully managing Brokers and Distributors
- Proven track record of business growth – demonstrated sales delivery over extended periods
- P&L/ROI experience for all sales and promotional activities in area of responsibility.
- Outstanding presentation skills and ability to influence (internal and external customers)
- Demonstrated writing skills (able to craft customer strategy and customer plans/calendars)
- Strong negotiation skills – to “win” the business and deliver on goals.
- Knowledge of the Beauty industry, either Professional or Retail (experience in the nail category a plus.)
- Demonstrated analytical skills – managing monthly objectives/budgets; forecasting; sales reporting;
- competitive analysis; sell story creation.
- Proven leadership skills – own your business; make it happen; idea leadership.
- Ability to set, manage and complete performance goals for all accounts.
- Ability to create and implement promotion activity for sell-through including: items for various flyers, e-blasts, catalogs and other communication vehicles.
- Displays; off shelf; in store POS; cross promotions; price discounts.
- Work closely with the VP of Sales, Director of Business Development - East, Asst. VP of Education, VP of Finance to manage promotional spend effectively and efficiently.
Additional Key Skills:
- Passion for the beauty industry and nail category.
- Knowledge of and experience in selling to beauty/nail distributors.
- Ability to personal sell (1:1 in salon environment); quickly assess situations; articulate customer needs; attention to services and generating ideas for incremental salon business with nail opportunity.
- Passion for learning and growing.
- Strategic thinker; smart and logical decision maker; Positive attitude.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.