The Director, Global Retail Design is the ‘gatekeeper’ to ensure all Kiehl’s brand standards are expressed consistently in all retail formats in global markets - Freestanding stores, Dept Store Shop-in-shops/Self-Assisted concepts and Travel Retail locations.
This person is an expert design innovator & conceptual thinker who will partner closely with the VP, Retail Design to oversee the design and development of all aspects of retail design: Store/shop layouts, Fixture design/Merchandising displays/Lighting/Furniture/Materials incl. Pop-up shops/Events.
- Evolve concepts through design development as required for management approvals.
- CAD experience is essential – creating and modifying drawings on a daily basis.
- 3D software experience is key- e.g Sketchup with VRAY is our standard platform.
- Expert proficiency reviewing architectural, construction and fixture/millwork shop drawings.
- Vendor management with day-to-day coordination, gathering costs for approvals may be required.
- Knowledge of material costs, construction trades, process that affect and impact design.
- Sourcing material samples, vendors, and reps to assist in design progression and evolving concepts.
- Knowledge of back of house, operational systems that affect sales floor and main shop design.
- Work closely with the Visual Merchandising and Marketing teams to effectively implement new selling strategies.
- Keep aware of the competitive retail environment – with a focus on the beauty marketplace and competitive brands.
- Knowledge of sustainable design methodologies and materials is a plus.
- Awareness and knowledge of digital technologies and integration into the brick-and-mortar/physical retail space.
- Bachelor degree required, focus in interior design or architecture.
- Minimum 7 years of design experience- ideally retail or hospitality.
- In house Beauty/Luxury Retail Design a plus.
- Stellar design aptitude and conceptual thinking required.
- Experience with managing processes to develop clear and concise design solutions aligned with business strategies.
- Strong project management aptitude required- to manage multiple projects.
- Excellent interpersonal/communication skills to work with multiple business partners and cross-functional teams.
- Strong working knowledge of basic fixture and cabinet construction detailing and methods.
- Good awareness of design/industry trends/new concepts/materials/innovations and the aptitude to translate these ideas.
- Demonstrated creative abilities, sketching, conceptual rendering, and space planning.
- Good understanding of general building codes, ADA codes and interior standards.
- Comprehensive working knowledge of AutoCAD & SketchUp.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Teams, Word, Outlook, Excel.)
- Expert Communication/Presentation skills.
- Currently a Hybrid Work Environment - 3 days in the office required per week, 2 days WFH.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application for a recognized disability under applicable law, please email [email protected]
. Please note this email will only respond to specific requests for assistance completing the application as a request for accommodation for a disability. All others will not be considered.