ROLE: Director, Consumer & Market Insights (US)
LOCATION: CLARK, NJ
Ask us about our Hybrid Work Model
The Consumer & Market Insight (CMI) & Foresight team within the Direction Innovation (DI) team of L’Oreal USA’s Research and Innovation department provides consumer and market intelligence, insights, trend tracking and forecasting to facilitate the identification of “disruptive innovation” across the entire L’Oreal portfolio.
The team uses a wide variety of insights/research and trend analytics tools and innovative mixed-media methodologies: quantitative, qualitative, online, offline, primary and secondary data sources. From social listening, to ethnographies, to semiotics, to surveys, to concept testing, to focus groups to online communities. The team also experiments with cutting edge technologies (data science, AI, new platforms) to generate insights.
The department works with US Marketing DI, global Marketing DI, global CMI, labs, brands and category managers as well as marketers, scientists, inventors, consumers, beauty influencers, professionals (stylists, makeup artists, beauty bloggers), etc. The department is focused on supporting the Marketing DI, to help transform insights into disruptive innovation opportunities.
We are seeking a new team member who thrives on “insights-to-innovation” (disruptive, game-changing innovation) to be an integral part of the Direction Innovation team.
L'Oréal has a workplace flexibility and programs to help manage our work and personal responsibilities which include up to 2 days of working remote a week for most functions (not including lab, retail store, field sales, plan or distribution center based roles)
- Providing the best expertise on Make Up US consumers and market dynamics, US category health analysis and future facing decoding of trends with potential to impact the category .
- Responsible for designing and executing consumer and market research in connection with the MAKEUP CATEGORY to: identify emerging consumer behaviors, wants and needs; new consumer segments (now, next and future); market trends (micro, macro and mega), and analyzing competitive activity.
- Providing strategic counsel, such as developing data-driven points-of-view on topics, steering strategic roadmaps and creating compelling arguments for new products and business opportunities.
- Transforming insights and trends into new products (feeding into new product development processes).
- Designing and moderating Innovation workshops (with external and internal participants), and leading Design Thinking innovation processes; designing new research and Innovation workshop methodologies.
- Helping to write new product concepts, and managing testing of new product concepts (qualitatively and quantitatively).
- Supporting key strategic opportunities and business priorities with market and consumer insights, and helping to size business opportunities.
- Managing and sharing an archive of insights, including communicating insights and research findings (in reports, presentations, online platforms, etc.) with global partners.
- Collaborating with: Direction Innovation (DI), Applied research, Pre-Development labs, Evaluation, Packaging Innovation, Open Innovation Lab, Tech Incubator, Consumer Market Intelligence, etc.
- Developing new methodologies and platforms to generate insights, inform foresight and strengthen the innovation process.
JOB EXPERIENCE AND REQUIREMENTS:
- BS Degree in Marketing, Business Admin, Commerce or Market Research required; MBA optional
- 7 years research experience (agency or client side) – Classic CPG/beauty experience in the Makeup, Skincare or Haircare categories is preferred.
- Must have authorization to work in the United States on a permanent, ongoing basis, without the need for sponsorship now or in the future
- Familiarity and comfort with traditional market and consumer research sources (Nielsen, NPD, GNPD, Ipsos, Euromonitor, Mintel, etc.)
- Experience with Social Listening tools
- Strong connection to US Culture (cultural awareness) – pop culture, social media, influencers, trends
- Technical mastery across research methodologies (qualitative and quantitative, online and off line, primary and secondary data mining), with a preference for Semiotics and Behavioral Sciences
- Solid analytical skills and strategic thinking with the ability to solve problems and develop creative solutions in complex environment
- Experience designing and leading innovation and/or creative brainstorming workshops
- Experience with innovation processes (such as Design Thinking)
- Ability to take multiple data-inputs and synthesize into easy to understand and actionable insights that inform new product development
- Exceptional consumer sensitivity, empathy and intuition, combined with understanding of market dynamics and trends (technological, socio-economic, environmental, etc.)
- Strong appetite for data and digital innovation
- Strong team player, collaborative and strong leadership skills to lead multi-disciplinary teams.
- Curious, creative and conceptual: strong in ideation processes
- Excellent written, presentation and oral communication skills (from public speaking to producing a beautiful and clear deck)
- Entrepreneurial start up mindset, self-motivated, confident and out-going.
- Organized and good with time management, with a strong ability to multi-task and adapt.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application for a recognized disability under applicable law, please email [email protected]. Please note this email will only respond to specific requests for assistance completing the application as a request for accommodation for a disability. All others will not be considered.