Do you like working with highly technical, scientific information and sharing it to contribute to the development and innovation of new products related to consumers' hair care & styling routines across the globe?
Then L'Oréal Research & Innovation (R&I) might be exactly the place you have always been looking for!
For more than one hundred years, L’Oréal believes that Beauty needs Science. In a world now transformed by digital technology and the emergence of new scientific Domains, we are confident in our ability to turn these opportunities into major innovations, closely linked to the new consumer expectations all over the world. Science & Technology are allowing us to invent safe, dependable, sustainable & responsible beauty products and experiences that will change people’s lives. L’Oréal Research and Innovation has continuously invested upstream in its research with a high level of ambition. Our 3800+ L'Oréal R&I people are talented and highly skilled, located in major markets, working in a cooperative way, opened to the world.
Inside L’Oréal’s Research & Innovation Division, Development is responsible for working closely with our over 35 brands to adapt and innovate formulations into new and exciting products based on consumer and marketing insights. In Open Development, our scientists work closely with external manufacturers to develop and refine formulas to meet the needs and expectations of our consumers. Development of great products requires building strong, international collaborations across different functions to ensure that products are seen from inception to officialization for our local and global launch deadlines.
We are currently seeking a talented and innovative Director in Hair Care & Styling Scientific Valorization, to join our Development department located at our Clark, New Jersey facility for Research and Innovation. This position is responsible to lead the Hair Care & Styling Product Development Valorization Team with a critical focus on best-in-class communication of scientific knowledge and product performance internally, within professional channels, and direct to consumers along with coordination of innovative testing to support all communication.
- Lead the departmental efforts to identify, recommend, adapt and support new claims and demos for product valorization.
- Ensure smooth management and delivery of all global hair care & styling projects for claims validation and communication purposes. This includes creating testing plans, negotiating claims with Marketing and Claims as well as tracking and managing timely delivery of testing and artwork approvals.
- Partner with Marketing, Claims, and R&I Brand Managers to define and deliver a 2-3 year valorization roadmap to drive competitiveness and sustainability of the technology paniers for key pillars on the major Hair Care & styling brands.
- Provide technical support to Marketing – technical explanation of new and existing technology for all launches to help Marketing develop concepts.
- Build partnership with Marketing, Product Performance Evaluation, Claims, as well as with other liaison teams globally for seamless collaboration.
- Brainstorm innovative testing and data-based approaches for support of active ingredients and product performance and partner with Claims and Product Performance Evaluation to validate new approaches.
- Facilitate accurate tracking of projects including testing and budget, leading prioritization and resource management in partnership with the relevant cross functional R&I teams.
- Maintain awareness of new technical or marketing opportunities from scientific and technical literature and publications as well as through social media channels.
- Serve as a creative catalyst for potential new technology and/or new ingredient communication & demos.
- Lead, develop and grow a team of scientific professionals, putting in place career plans as well as training and developmental activities for all staff.
- Identify new educational and capability building opportunities for the Valorization Team and assure that all recommended activities occur and are followed up to measure impact.
- Champion key strategic focus areas including green science valorization and inclusivity in testing, working with cross-functional and R&I partners to develop and execute strategies to incorporate into our projects and processes.
- Ensure development and communication of technical dossiers and test results with technical support/interpretation.
- Provide support to our Public Relations teams.
- A Bachelor's level degree in science or engineering is required. Master's or PhD preferred.
- 10+ years of cosmetic/personal care or related industry experience is required. Experience in Hair Care and/or Hair Styling is a plus.
- Strong management skills, leading and developing a team of scientific professionals.
- Familiarity with testing methodology and procedures and how these can be creatively utilized to develop tangible claims support for identified business opportunities and consumer needs.
- An established self-awareness, in terms of understanding your own culture, identity, biases, prejudices, power privilege, and stereotypes.
- Authorization to work in the US on a permanent, ongoing basis, without the need for sponsorship now or in the future.
- Able to think and plan strategically, with the ability to be creative and think “outside the box”.
- Able to articulate and implement a vision and motivate team members to achieve department goals & objectives.
- Someone who can prioritize multiple projects while working with various groups within a matrix organization.
- Able to work in international, multi-disciplinary environments with extensive worldwide networks and global teams.
- A clear and strategic communicator to expert and non-expert audiences alike (oral, written, presentations).
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application for a recognized disability under applicable law, please email [email protected]
. Please note this email will only respond to specific requests for assistance completing the application as a request for accommodation for a disability. All others will not be considered.