For more than one hundred years, L’Oréal believes that Beauty needs Science. In a world now transformed by digital technology and the emergence of new scientific Domains, we are confident in our ability to turn these opportunities into major innovations, closely linked to the new consumer expectations all over the world. Science & Technology are allowing us to invent safe, dependable, sustainable & responsible beauty products and experiences that will change people’s lives. L’Oréal Research and Innovation has continuously invested upstream in its research with a high level of ambition. Our 3800+ L'Oréal R&I people are talented and highly skilled, located in major markets, working in a cooperative way, opened to the world.
Inside L’Oréal’s Research & Innovation Division, Development is responsible for working closely with our over 35 brands to adapt and innovate formulations into new and exciting products based on consumer and marketing insights. In Open Development, our scientists work closely with external manufacturers to develop and refine formulas to meet the needs and expectations of our consumers. Development of great products requires building strong, international collaborations across different functions to ensure that products are seen from inception to officialization for our local and global launch deadlines.
We are currently seeking a talented and innovative Director for Makeup Development to join our Development department, located at our Clark, New Jersey facility for Research and Innovation. In this role, you will provide managerial, technical, and operational administration for the Makeup Products Category including providing leadership, direction, and development for our team.You Will . . .
- Leads the departmental efforts to identify, recommend, adapt and utilize new product technology.
- Approves and issues as final all formulas, either of US or worldwide origin, to manufacturing with all accompanying ingredient and product quality specifications and clearances as required for general safety, microbiology, claim support, processing, and product/package interaction.
- Tracks the progress of all ongoing projects, verifies schedules, launch dates, and other requirements, and acts as needed to maintain direction and timing, consistent with plans.
- Proactively build and execute a plan to upgrade current products to new technologies with the objective to maintain competitiveness and sustainability at any time.
- Develops and maintains a compatible and open working relationship with all other departments including Marketing, scale-up, Manufacturing, Product Safety, international peers, etc.
- Plans and executes all departmental system requirements whose objective is to save time through minimization of error, elimination of redundant or repetitive tasks and the assurance of clarity of purpose of all departmental actions.
- Leads all elements of departmental activity focused to identify, screen, and quickly produce prototype products utilizing new technology including visits to the French R&D laboratories, attendance at meetings and seminars, review of patents and contracts with universities and testing organizations.
- Lead, develop and grow a team of scientists, develop a career plan and recommends training and developmental activities for all department staff, identifies new educational opportunities and assures that all recommended activities occurs and are followed up to measure impact.
- Serves as the technical resource in Makeup products for Maybelline New York, Kiehl's and Dermablend brands.
- Develops, issues, and updates annually generic/formulation guidelines in Make up category.
You Have . . .
- Bachelor's level degree in science or engineering is required.
- Masters / PhD in a natural science (Biology, Chemistry, etc) or engineering (Chemical, Biomedical, Material Science) is preferred.
- 8-10+ years’ experience in formulation within Cosmetic Category with a minimum of 5 years in Makeup R&D Product Development within Consumer Products industries is required.
- Experience with consumer Makeup products, preferred.
- Strong technical background in formulation.
- Viewed as a leading innovator and leader in the industry.
- Must have good management skills, leading and developing a team of scientific professionals.
- Must be able to articulate and implement a vision and motivate team members to achieve department goals & objectives.
- Familiarity with testing methodology and procedures.
- Fluency is French is a plus.
- Authorization to work in the US on a permanent, ongoing basis without the need for sponsorship now or in the future is required
You Are . . .
- Must be able to think and plan strategically, with the ability to be creative and think “outside the box”.
- Has a solid knowledge of the competition and well as consumer perceptions and desires to create innovative products.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to work cross-functionally as well as internationally.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application for a recognized disability under applicable law, please email [email protected]
. Please note this email will only respond to specific requests for assistance completing the application as a request for accommodation for a disability. All others will not be considered.