LEGAL COUNSEL – L’OREAL UK & IRELAND
L'Oréal UK Head Office – Hammersmith, London
Date posted 16.03.18
Closing date for applications : 12.04.18
The world leader in beauty, L’Oréal is present in 130 countries on five continents. Our 32 international brands have allowed us to devote ourselves solely to one business: beauty, with a mission to provide the best in cosmetics innovation to all women and men around the world. We want to bring beauty to all people. Our ambition by 2020 is to win over another one billion consumers around the world by creating the cosmetic products that meet the infinite diversity of their beauty needs and desires through continued digital innovation. L’Oréal encourages diversity and sustainable, ethical sourcing for all our products and we have reduced our emissions by approx. 50% since 2005. Our brands are leaders in beauty, and we are looking for you to lead the change you want to see in L’Oréal.
This is a great opportunity for a confident, highly motivated and commercially focused solicitor with significant and relevant PQE (with experience gained in private practice ideally in a commercial department and in-house in an FMCG business) to develop their knowledge and experience in a broad and varied in-house role presenting a wide range of challenges. As a seasoned legal generalist, you will have expert knowledge across the areas of Consumer Law, Contract Law, Competition Law, Intellectual Property and general corporate/commercial matters. In a legal function which is seen as a real partner to the business, this is a great chance to gain exposure to practical challenges requiring both legal knowledge and commercial acumen, providing legal support across two divisions of our business.
The Legal Counsel will work very closely with all aspects of the business, including the purchasing, commercial, scientific and technical-regulatory, marketing, finance, sales, market research, consumer advisory, IT and communications and PR teams across the business. You will be responsible for providing timely, accurate and legally compliant advice to our operations across all UK and Ireland sites in line with business objectives. Externally you will have close relationships with the business’s European and other global legal functions, other UK and Ireland sites plus specialist law firms. The permanent role promises a varied, fast-paced commercial law experience with the opportunity to develop a wide range of legal experience and develop rapidly.
·Be a subject matter expert in all things legal related to digital, social media, e-commerce, CRM including contracts with influencers
·Negotiating, reviewing and drafting all types of contracts, variations, terminations and legal documents
·Advising the Purchasing team on various types of supplier agreements
·Advising the operational and functional departments in all areas of law (commercial, competition, charity, corporate, IT, communications, IP, data protection, employment and property)
·Responding to internal stakeholder requests on a range of issues and managing an ever flowing workload
·Lead and drive the Legal Team’s innovation agenda, including but not limited to building legal apps with a third party service provider, implementing contract automation solutions and creating and reinventing and managing our knowledge management resources, both internal and business facing
·Increasing operational and functional departments’ awareness of Group best practices
·Reviewing and approving marketing communications (including advertising) for compliance with applicable advertising standards and regulations, including the CAP and BCAP Codes, relevant ASA adjudications, CMA guidance, as well as consumer protection legislation
·Supervising regulatory matters relating to products together with the assistance of the Consumer Advisory Scientific and Technical-Regulatory Affairs Department
·Advising on competition law and the protection of our selective distribution networks and supporting the General Counsel in ensuring compliance.
·Monitoring intellectual property issues, counterfeit matters and Brand Protection
·Deliver clear and tailored legal training to different levels of the business across a variety of topics
·Maintaining the existing high profile of the legal team throughout the business and encouraging active legal involvement in operational decision making
·Developing strong relationships with key internal and external stakeholders at all levels of the business, and effectively using those networks to work as a trusted business partner to achieve pragmatic and commercially viable solutions
Essential Qualifications and Skills required
• Lawyer qualified (significant and relevant PQE) in England & Wales (or equivalent common law jurisdiction)
• Experience gained in private practice ideally in a commercial department and in-house in an FMCG business
• You will have expert knowledge across the areas of Consumer Law, Contract Law, Competition Law, Intellectual Property and general corporate/commercial matters.
• Experience working with digital, social media, e-commerce and CRM including contracts with influencers
• Strong demonstrable and relevant track record of advising on legal issues in a clear, commercial way
• Excellent communication (written and spoken), negotiation and presentational skills
• Strategic thinker with ability to move effortlessly between strategy, implementation and tactical opportunities
• Ability to rapidly digest and distil complex issues and formulate strategy / responses
• Ability to establish, exploit and influence effective networks at all levels
• A focus on service excellence and ability to deliver consistent results under pressure
• An open mind set when it comes to delivering legal services differently and experience implementing innovative legal solutions
• Confident, persuasive individual capable of managing and resolving difficult situations Knowledge of operating a selective distribution network and free standing stores is an advantage
• You set yourself demanding goals and demolish obstacles to achieve them. Focused on quality and attention to detail, you will not compromise standards. You probably think of yourself as an entrepreneur.
• You define your own roles and constantly look for ways to exceed what has been asked. A passion for exciting projects gives you the energy to succeed in a flexible, high octane, company.
• You value innovation as a business strategy. You also try to keep up to the minute with current trends. Ultimately, you share our belief in flexibility as a way of life.
• You are a real leader, creating a compelling vision and then communicating it with style and charisma. You’ve always been comfortable defending a point of view. You’ll thrive on the challenges that an international environment brings.
• You feel that you have an aptitude for our profession through a true sensitivity to our products & our market.
• If you would like the opportunity to further your career in the UK and Ireland hub of a global, brand-focused organisation, please apply.
• Salary bracket - £58,000-£65,000 per annum
• £6200 car allowance
• Profit share related bonus
• Date posted - 16.03.2018
• Closing date - 12.04.2018