For more than a hundred years, L’Oréal believes that beauty needs Science. In a world now transformed by digital technology and the emergence of new scientific Domains, we are confident in our ability to turn these opportunities into major innovations, closely linked to the new consumer expectations all over the world. Science & Technology are allowing us to invent safe, trustworthy, sustainable & responsible beauty products and experiences that will change people’s lives.
L’Oréal R&I has continuously invested upstream in its research with a high level of ambition. Our 3800 L'Oréal R&I people are talented and highly skilled, located in major markets, working in a cooperative way, opened to the world.
We are looking for a Manager to join our Makeup Development Team. This position will be responsible for providing leadership and direction for multiple projects within a formulation development group in our Research and Innovation laboratory. This person will be responsible for the leadership of the laboratory team as well as the management of multiple internal and external development projects. This person is expected to provide both technical input and a strategic manner of working in a highly collaborative environment. A high degree of initiative is required to assess new areas and directions critical for product development and future success. Strong personal management skills to lead, direct, and provide success of projects is a key requirement for this position.
This position is at the L’Oreal USA Research & Innovation facility in Clark, New Jersey.
- Lead the laboratory efforts to identify, recommend, and utilize new product technologies (both internal and external) based on your brand’s launch plan. Frame the long-term and short-term strategy to establish market winning position.
- Track the progress and associated risk of all ongoing projects, verifies schedules, develops mitigation plans, ensures launch dates, and other requirements, and acts as needed to maintain direction and timing, consistent with plans.
- Monitors the quality and conformity of formulas.
- Demonstrates creativity and resourcefulness in proactively identifying and proposing solutions to issues that may arise during product development.
- Serves as the technical resource in all Make Up product categories.
- Partner with Application Domain leaders to transform strategic innovations in the zones with key consumer need gaps/opportunities.
- Develop and transform innovation with a SBWA (Sharing Beauty with All) ambition
- Establish strong connection with PD, marketing, operations, packaging, and product valorization team. Collaborate to bring consumer relevant and competitive products in the market, involving deeper understanding of competition w.r.t. performance, claims and market positioning
- Partner with support teams to provide information regarding statuses of projects, and product information, as well coordinate and follow up on general requests.
- Create consumer knowledge maps of our portfolio with the help of CMI/Competition intelligence and Product Performance Evaluation to identify white space
- Market and consumer deep dive
- Technology differentiation
- Provide management to the development teams ensuring the right people in the right jobs and ensure their development and upskilling.
- Recommend training and developmental activities for all department staff, identifies new educational opportunities and assures that all recommended activities occurs and are followed up to measure impact.
- Retain talent and further strengthen the succession plan
- Support portfolio maintenance and expansion via acquisition with technical due diligence, integration of existing products and development of new products.
- Continue to strengthen Safety Culture across R&I; meet mandatory safety training requirement.
- Approve and issue all formulas as final, either of US or French origin, to manufacturing with all accompanying ingredient and product specifications and clearances as required for general safety, microbiology, claim support, processing, and product/package interaction.
- Plan and execute all departmental system requirements whose objective is to save time through minimization of error, elimination of redundant or repetitive tasks and the assurance of clarity of purpose of all departmental actions.
- Lead the implementation of all elements of departmental activity focused to identify, screen, and quickly produce prototype products utilizing new technology including visits to the French R&D laboratories, attendance at meetings and seminars, review of patents and contracts with universities and testing organizations.
- Work closely with designated vendors to obtain the information needed in order to homologate new products. Initiate formula framework and formula entry. Maintain good relationships to insure product quality in a timely fashion.
- Bachelor's level degree in science or engineering is required
- Masters / PhD in a natural science (Biology, Chemistry, etc.) or engineering (Chemical, Biomedical, Material Science) is preferred
- Managerial experience in a makeup formulation laboratory, leading and developing a team of scientific professionals.
- 5+ years’ experience in cosmetic/makeup formulation
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Must have authorization to work in the United States on a permanent, ongoing basis without sponsorship
- Possesses high level of technical curiosity and keen sense of problem solving with solid root cause analysis.
- Possesses strong collaboration and communication skills to build relationships with key partner groups such as Pilot, Packaging, and Marketing etc.
- Strong technical background in color cosmetic formulation
- Familiarity with testing methodology and procedures from a global perspective.
- Excellent problem solving and decision making skills
- Fluency is French is a plus.
- Authorization to work in the US on a permanent, ongoing basis without the need for sponsorship now or in the future.
- A Group Leader
- Able to work under pressure and at a fast pace
- Display a sense of urgency and initiative with creativity and flexibility
- Viewed as an innovator and leader in the industry.
- Able to articulate and implement a vision and motivate team members to achieve department goals & objectives.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application for a recognized disability under applicable law, please email [email protected]
. Please note this email will only respond to specific requests for assistance completing the application as a request for accommodation for a disability. All others will not be considered.