Manager, Research & Innovation Product Open Development
L’Oréal, the world leader in cosmetics, is synonymous with beauty, innovation and scientific excellence in more than 130 countries and 30+ International Brands. As the leader in the beauty industry, our success is a direct result of our unequaled employees. L’Oréal is always looking for talented and ambitious minds to help build our beauty into something even better. Leadership also means innovation and quality. We offer the most technologically advanced products to our customers and a portfolio of brands in every product category such as Maybelline, Kiehl’s, Lancôme, Urban Decay, Carol’s Daughter, IT Cosmetics, NYX and CeraVe. L’Oréal USA fully encompasses all aspects of beauty for everyone, everywhere.
In the last 3 years, we have created a unique team in Research & Innovation called Open Development. This specialized group was established to enable L’Oreal to continue to be the first in the fast moving and ever evolving competitive marketplace of Beauty. Today we are looking for an ambitious and entrepreneurial Manager in Open Product Development
To deliver consumer centric, vendor innovation into pipeline to drive overall Global makeup and skincare sales specifically to improve speed to market and grow respective category.
As a Manager in Open [Product] Development (OD) you’ll partner with the VP to identify, define and align with brand teams & Research & Innovation (R&I) Category Heads (métiers) on potential vendor innovations contributing to respective category pipeline. Partner closely with R&I partners to align resources and capacity against biggest areas of opportunity. Be the objective voice of the consumer: identify vendor opportunities based on her/his needs, but exceeding her/his expectation on trend innovation with opportunity to become a long term opportunity. Work with Direction Innovation (DI) teams to focus on further out opportunities with potential to pre-develop innovation with key external partners. Ongoing communication with matrix team members (i.e. Marketing, Package Innovation, Purchasing/Sourcing, R&I OD Metier, Open Manufacturing (OMA), Safety/Regulatory/Claims and Legal) to progress and track the development of all pre-development OD product initiatives ensuring timely development.
What you’ll be doing:
- Maintain constant contact with Americas based vendors (Regular meetings, Exhibition participation)
- Help manage vendors by category, establish strategy aligned with key stakeholder/brand needs, become best partner of key ones
- Support the identification of key innovation and opportunities for exclusivities and co/pre-development
- Capture short term/quick win as well as Mid to Long Term Strategic Focus Opportunities
- Identification/Definition/Alignment of 2-3 Big Bets/Year – for Makeup and Skin Care
- Re-establishment and/or creation of new relationship with at least 3 new skin care vendors
- Ensure well versed and on top of trends and movements in Makeup and Skin care for creative and technical inspiration from marketplace including competitive and adjacent industries, R&I technology, non-beauty industries.
SETTING OPERATIONAL CONDITIONS/WAYS OF WORKING
- Support the establishment of appropriate framework contracts
- Help align the most relevant TTM (time to market) improvement and risk management
- Support the evolution into establishing appropriate ways of working and R&R with Métiers, Corporate Chief Product Accelerator, Brands, OMA, Package Innovation, DI and Purchasing/Sourcing.
- Contribute to relevant panier (pipeline calendars) in partnership with Métier strategy and needs.
- Help build OD Corporate Global strategic portfolio inclusive of Americas requirements and opportunities
- Participate in Key Métiers meeting, Brand Fiche and Management Meetings - help build evaluation and mapping of performance of key strategic innovation
- Ensure transparency and constant update with management in Americas, Corporate OD, DI, and Packaging Innovation
- Be actively involved in complex Development Projects
- Creation of strategic and trend focused presentations to DMI’s for alignment of innovation opportunities
- Prepare vendor innovation opportunities within PIPE meetings
Competitive & Industry/Market Intelligence
- Track new product introductions, macro level consumer trends and industry product trends to inform all phases of the Consumer Product Design from Ideation to Product Execution.
- Review and understand global/local trends as they relate to lifestyle, social changes, attitudes, fashion, dermatology to help identify opportunities in makeup and skincare innovation that support strategies for the Americas.
What you’ll need:
- A Bachelor’s Degree with Minimum of 7 years’ in the Beauty industry, preferably Makeup & Skincare experience, with a fragrance understanding.
- Passion and high level of understanding of beauty markets on a Global basis, especially in Skin Care, Makeup and Personal Care/Wellness.
- A solid understanding of the beauty/skincare industry and continue to analyze new introductions and trends; Using this knowledge to identify innovation that fit with appropriate brand strategy.
- Excellent organizational and influencing skills specifically while working with internal matrix teams and vendors as part of the development process.
- Understanding of package functionality, marketing skills like brand positioning, strategy and portfolio management in order to create new and unique offerings for L’Oréal Group.
- Creative writing skills and knowledge of basic components of a "concept outline".
- Strong attention to detail with ability to distinguish/develop high quality, aesthetic products.
- Strong Interpersonal skills
- Excellent work ethic
- Ability and passion for the consumer and delivering innovation that delights and delivers on her/his needs
- Drive for accuracy, organization and a proactive approach to work are a must
- Consistency in keeping leadership team (Americas & Worldwide Partners) updated on all key product status
- Great organizational skills to maintain product sample submissions history
If you are a Passionate Product Junkie who has developed consumer centric, innovative products with vendors from initiation to launch, we want you!
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.