To weigh and mix components (raw materials) according to manufacturing procedure efficiently and safely within the established quality and production standards.
Educational, Mental, or Certification Requirements
- Complete high school education or a GED equivalency required;
- Qualify to wear respirators;
- Complete forklift certification;
- Demonstrate basic essential mathematical skills of addition and subtraction;
- Must be able to read and understand scales calibrated in metric format and be able to use the metric system in all aspects of this position.
- Basic computer skills and experience with Microsoft Word and Excel is required.
- Must be able to work in a team environment.
General Job Duties
- Mix ingredients, according to formula;
- Weigh raw materials according to the formula, using the Flexnet system;
- Retrieve supplies from warehouse/storage area;
- Open valves to start pumps to transfer specified amounts and types of liquids from storage tanks into mixing tanks;
- Activate mixing tank agitators and set timers to mix ingredients for a specific period of time;
- Observe gauge readings on mixing tanks and adjust temperature and flow meter controls when readings vary from established norms;
- Obtain samples of solutions throughout the process to be analyzed for color, viscosity, pH balance, and gravity;
- Maintain knowledge and practice of Quality and Safety Policies, Line Manual Book Procedures, Good Manufacturing Procedures, and Reject Percent (refer to specific department duties);
- Open valves and pump finished formulas into storage tanks/drums or one-handled buckets;
- Operate milling machine when directed by the manufacturing procedure;
- Maintain cordial, professional relationship with supervisor and co-workers;
- Practice teamwork, relieve others for breaks/lunches, and assist others as time permits;
- Be able to track downtime, waiting time and breakdown time correctly and remain productive during these times.
- Complete paperwork and minimal computer work;
- Report machine and equipment malfunctions to mechanical personnel and use Maintenance Connection to enter equipment malfunctions electronically.
- Coordinate “changeovers” in production, clean equipment, and perform other custodial responsibilities;
- Perform other duties as directed.
Tools and Equipment Used In Job
- Occasionally use safety scissors, safety knife, wrench, spatula, hoses, metal clamps, pliers, and screwdrivers.
- Occasionally use large equipment such as E-Z lifts, pallet jacks (electronic and manual), Power Worker (Tugger), and forklift.
- Machinery may produce noise levels that exceed OSHA’s action level: Employees are provided with and required to wear personal hearing protection devises in these areas;
- Tanks may be hot, therefore creating a potential burn hazard: Protective sleeves may be provided;
- Raw materials and cleaning products may produce potential respiratory hazards: Employees are provided with and may/must wear particulate respirators or other respirators when appropriate;
- Employees are required to operate forklifts: Chemist Helpers must successfully complete forklift operator training;
- The processing of liquids and powders may create slippery surfaces;
- Chemist Helpers are provided with and required to wear safety glasses, steel-toed shoes and safety gloves.
- All employees are properly trained in use of adjunct lifting/moving equipment and on proper body mechanics.
MANIPULATION REQUIREMENTS: (HANDS OR FEET) This position requires an individual to constantly perform one and/or all of the following movements/functions: Handle, reach, feel, perform fine motor manipulations with their hands, and performing gross motor manipulations involved in assembly, loading components, and moving equipment/supplies.
Marginal Job Duties
- May substitute or fill-in for Service Worker or other positions;
- Lifting in excess of 50 lbs.
- Read, understand, follow, and document the specific instructions listed on the manufacturing procedure;
- Perform mathematical calculations;
- Work independently and as a team member, make decisions, and use adequate organizational and time management skills;
- Work well as a team member;
- Do the physical demands required for the job (lifting, moving, etc.) using safe ergonomic techniques;
- Have visual/auditory acuity required to read weights on product labels and hear warning alarms;
- Have working knowledge of the production process, items produced, and equipment utilized in maintaining production/processing within specific industrial norms and standards;
- Maintain a safe work environment and follow all safety procedures;
- Ensure a high standard of quality and follow all quality and GMP procedures;
- Communicate well with other employees and supervisors;
- Plan in advance for a “change over” and coordinate services with the next shift to efficiently minimize downtime;
- Work flexible hours/shifts, including overtime;
- Demonstrate good attendance.
- Must produce World Class Results through teamwork.
- Must selflessly develop others.
- Must thrive within a changing organization.
- Efficiently produce quality cosmetics in the right quality at the right time for L’Oreal USA customers.
- Must create and provide an environment in which employees can work safely and thrive.
- Must act as a responsible citizen in our company and community.
- Must manage the plant’s assets to maximize our stockholders return.
- Must demonstrate a 100% responsibility and not make excuses or cast blame.
- Must implement and utilize the NLR L’Oreal USA communication model.
- Resolve conflicts directly.
- Must listen for understanding.
- Must have a positive attitude.
- Must be committed to team decisions.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application for a recognized disability under applicable law, please email [email protected]
. Please note this email will only respond to specific requests for assistance completing the application as a request for accommodation for a disability. All others will not be considered.