Position Title: Scientist, Consumer Research Evaluation Intelligence, Makeup
Location: Clark, NJ
Department: Research & Innovation Evaluation Intelligence
For more than one hundred years, L’Oréal believes that beauty needs Science. In a world now transformed by digital technology and the emergence of new scientific domains, we are confident in our ability to turn these opportunities into major innovations, closely linked to the new consumer expectations all over the world. Science & Technology are allowing us to invent safe, trustable, sustainable & responsible beauty products and experiences that will change people’s lives.
L’Oréal Research & Innovation (R&I) has continuously invested upstream in its research with a high level of ambition. Our 4,100 L'Oréal R&I people are talented and highly skilled, located in major markets, working in a cooperative way, open to the world. L’Oréal, Research & Innovation is a vast, multidisciplinary, scientific community working in more than 30 specialized fields, spread out across the world in 21 research centers across 6 regional hubs, 14 evaluation centers, and 49 scientific and regulatory departments. Our employees represent over 60 nationalities and are united for one passion: to invent and perfect innovative, high-performance products for the well-being of all across the world.
To discover more on our scientific and technical functions at L'Oréal Research & Innovation, please check out our website
We are seeking a Scientist to join our Evaluation Intelligence, Consumer Science team in our Clark, NJ Research facility. As a Research Scientist within Research & Innovation, Evaluation Intelligence, Consumer Science, this position requires an experienced qualitative and quantitative researcher, possessing strategic thinking, excellent analytical, communication and collaboration skills, as well as vendor management skills, with a passion for consumer centricity, which will be responsible for leading studies for L’Oréal US Makeup (Complexion, Eye, Lip, and Nail categories).
As an Scientist in our Evaluation Intelligence, Consumer Science team, your main responsibilities are:
- Design and oversee execution of studies from inception to completion including study design, target volunteer selection, recruitment, development of questionnaires/discussion guides for the generation of outstanding product insights to guide product development.
- Initiate, develop, execute and analyze Qualitative and Quantitative consumer studies, and make actionable recommendations that impact product development for future launches and meet business strategies.
- Produce and create succinct reports highlighting key insights that can be translated into compelling actionable recommendations.
- Manage business partnerships with our external agencies, communicate effectively, provide guidance and oversee full project details, including opening purchase orders and working with Finance
- Utilize creative and digital capabilities to enhance research learnings and communication of results.
- Utilize existing tools to complement study results for comprehensive research learning.
- Possess flexible communication style to collaborate with multiple stakeholders from varying backgrounds. Able to effectively translate and present results and insights to business users at the Manager / Director / VP level
- Leadership within cross functional teams; collaborate with teams to seamlessly integrate and extract qualitative insights with quantitative findings
- Collaborate with Sensory, Expert, Instrumental and Clinical Evaluation teams to help integrate the output of research from these sciences into consumer learnings.
- Work with consumers, sensory/consumer scientists, formulators, global counterparts, instrumental and clinical scientists, outside vendors, academics and consultants
To Succeed in this Position, You Have:
- 2+ years of relevant experience in qualitative and quantitative product testing, including design, execution, analysis and reporting.
- Experience in Personal Care or the Cosmetic industry a plus
- BS or Master’s in Market Research, Psychology, Sensory Science, Integrated Innovation or related field.
- Able to translate consumer insights into actionable recommendations to drive exceptional consumer satisfaction a must.
- Proven ability to “connect the dots” and link learnings across tests to develop the bigger picture
- Adaptable leadership style with a high sense of curiosity and tenacity to ask the right questions and follow through with answers.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects, in a fast paced environment under short deadlines, tolerance for business ambiguity; the ability to thrive under quickly changing situations; adaptable, with ability to meet short turnaround times
- Methodological mindset to test new ideas and work towards valid results.
- Experience with managing external suppliers and ensure top value and performance for organization
- Self-motivated and able to operate independently, as well as work effectively with others
- Experience with management of online communication a plus
- Experience with innovative and creative methodologies and consumer centric approaches a plus.
- Have designed and led ethnographic research a plus
- Proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, data entry and statistical software programs (a plus)
- Authorization to work in the United States on a full-time, permanent, ongoing basis without the need for legal sponsorship now or in the future (required)
What's In It For You:
- Corporate Short-Term Incentives (Corporate Profit-Sharing Bonus, Individual Performance Bonuses based on level)
- Competitive Benefit Package (Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K, Pension Plan)
- Hybrid Work Policy (Up to 2 Days per week work from home for eligible roles, subject to manager approval)
- Flexible Time Off (Paid Company Holidays, Paid Vacation, Vacation Buy Program, Volunteer Time, Summer Fridays & More!)
- Access to Company Perks (VIP Access to L’Oréal’s Internal Shop for Discounted Products)
- Learning & Development Opportunities (Unlimited Access to E-learnings, Lunch & Learn Sessions, Mentorship Programs, & More!)
- Employee Resource Groups (Think Tanks and Innovation Squads)
- Access to Mental Health & Wellness Programs
Don’t meet every single requirement? At L'Oréal, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and innovative workplace. If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with the qualifications listed in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways! You may just be the right candidate for this or other roles!
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application for a recognized disability under applicable law, please email [email protected]. Please note this email will only respond to specific requests for assistance completing the application as a request for accommodation for a disability. All others will not be considered.
Our Safe Together Plan: Your safety is our highest priority. We will proceed with caution and adhere to enhanced protection standards to ensure our sites are safe for all employees. We must all operate with the shared responsibility for each other’s health & safety in mind.