Position Title: Senior Chemist, Mass Spectrometry, Molecular Structure and Trace Analysis
Location: Clark, NJ
Department: Analytical Chemistry
For more than one hundred years, L’Oréal believes that beauty needs Science. In a world now transformed by digital technology and the emergence of new scientific domains, we are confident in our ability to turn these opportunities into major innovations, closely linked to the new consumer expectations all over the world. Science & Technology are allowing us to invent safe, trustable, sustainable & responsible beauty products and experiences that will change people’s lives.
L’Oréal Research & Innovation (R&I) has continuously invested upstream in its research with a high level of ambition. Our 4,100 L'Oréal R&I people are talented and highly skilled, located in major markets, working in a cooperative way, open to the world. L’Oréal, Research & Innovation is a vast, multidisciplinary, scientific community working in more than 30 specialized fields, spread out across the world in 21 research centers across 6 regional hubs, 14 evaluation centers, and 49 scientific and regulatory departments. Our employees represent over 60 nationalities and are united for one passion: to invent and perfect innovative, high-performance products for the well-being of all across the world.
To discover more on our scientific and technical functions at L'Oréal Research & Innovation, please check out our website
We are seeking a Senior Chemist to join our Analytical team in our Clark, NJ Research facility. We are looking for a talented and highly motivated scientist that is passionate about problem-solving and investigating the chemistry behind our products, can use data to support conclusions and claims, and has a deep drive to ensure beauty products are held to the highest standards in quality and safety. The successful candidate for the mass spectrometry (MS), molecular structure and trace analysis position must have expertise and hands on experience developing, validating, evaluating, and implementing state-of-the-art mass spectrometry-based methods for small and large molecules using LC-MS/MS, GC-MS/MS, others.
As an Senior Chemist in our Analytical team, your main responsibilities are:
- Design and conduct research to develop, validate, and implement novel MS based methods and assays (small & large molecules) that are technically relevant to the groups supported and that will help us further grow our analytical toolkit
- Perform mass spectrometry experimentation for a wide range of samples utilizing a variety of instrumentation including QTrap LC-MS/MS, TripleTOF LC-MS/MS, GC-MSD, GC x GC-TOF, others.
- Serve as a subject matter expert in mass spectrometry and molecular structure characterization, guiding research efforts and mentoring junior staff
- Collaborate closely with our brand partners in support of product development, to drive company strategy and technical initiatives
- Collect, process and interpret mass spectral data, derive conclusions based on sound science, and prepare reports to effectively communicate results and findings to key stakeholders (audience with and without technical backgrounds)
- Continually develop knowledge in new areas of product technology to improve efficiency and effectiveness in project delivery and research
- Adhere to written procedures and practices to ensure good quality, compliance, and safety
- Quickly adapt to changes, delays, unexpected events, and manage multiple projects, prioritizing work to ensure on time delivery of results to meet critical project milestones.
- Maintain awareness of consumer trends, as well as evolving capabilities in the analytical chemistry field, with emphasis on mass spectrometry
- Develop working relationships with cross-functional teams, labs, and international colleagues to ensure breadth and depth of expertise
- Perform general troubleshooting and maintenance for LC/GC MS-based instrumentation
- Plan and direct research for projects involving advanced analysis for known and unknown compounds in various matrices
- Actively participate in L’Oréal’s international analytical technical communities
To Succeed in this Position, You Have:
- Ph.D. in Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, or related discipline. Mass Spectrometry focus preferred.
- Have a strong experimental background and skills using mass spectrometry to solve challenging technical problems and develop novel methods/assays
- Experience with LC/GC MS-based systems (QTrap LC-MS/MS, TripleTOF LC-MS/MS, GC-MSD, GC x GC-TOF, others)
- 5-7 years of demonstrated hands-on experience with mass spectrometry (preferably LC-MS/MS and GC-MS/MS)
- Experience in the field of analytical chemistry including method development, validation, troubleshooting and experimental design desired
- Strong written and verbal communication skills required
- Demonstrated ability to work in a diverse environment, to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet timelines
- Strong attention to detail, high level of motivation, initiative, and sense of urgency
- Experience in the cosmetics, personal care or consumer goods industries is a plus but not required
- Strong analytical thinking and problem-solving skills ranging from conceptualization to implementation
- Ability to take calculated risks, be proactive and self-directed
- Visionary - Help shape the short & long-term strategy and technology choices for the analytical team, particularly in the area of mass spectrometry
- Committed to delivering high quality results and overcoming challenges
- Knowledge of ICH guidelines, GMPs, and regulations is a plus but not required
- Excellent knowledge of computer systems and software
- Self-motivated to learn, hardworking and curious with the ability to think innovatively to solve difficult research problems
- Be a good coach and have passion to develop self and others within the organization
What's In It For You:
- Corporate Short-Term Incentives (Corporate Profit-Sharing Bonus, Individual Performance Bonuses based on level)
- Competitive Benefit Package (Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K, Pension Plan)
- Flexible Time Off (Paid Company Holidays, Paid Vacation, Vacation Buy Program, Volunteer Time, Summer Fridays & More!)
- Access to Company Perks (VIP Access to L’Oréal’s Internal Shop for Discounted Products)
- Learning & Development Opportunities (Unlimited Access to E-learnings, Lunch & Learn Sessions, Mentorship Programs, & More!)
- Employee Resource Groups (Think Tanks and Innovation Squads)
- Access to Mental Health & Wellness Programs
Don’t meet every single requirement? At L'Oréal, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and innovative workplace. If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with the qualifications listed in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways! You may just be the right candidate for this or other roles!
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application for a recognized disability under applicable law, please email [email protected]. Please note this email will only respond to specific requests for assistance completing the application as a request for accommodation for a disability. All others will not be considered.
Our Safe Together Plan: Your safety is our highest priority. We will proceed with caution and adhere to enhanced protection standards to ensure our sites are safe for all employees. We must all operate with the shared responsibility for each other’s health & safety in mind.