Senior Scientist II- Fiber Research – L'Oreal Research & Innovation
Location: L’Oreal Research & Development – Clark, NJ 07066
I. MAJOR FUNCTION
- The role of the Hair Fiber Discovery Domain is to identify & develop disruptive technologies that will address future consumer needs & transform the beauty industry in more sustainable & disruptive ways. The function is responsible for developing mechanistic insights & hair fiber knowledge to enable identification of new Actives, materials & formulations, including anti-oxidants, bioactives, Smart Materials, composites etc. in partnership with other departments internally or outstanding academic labs and start-ups.
- As a Global organization, the Hair Fiber Discovery Domain is a Global function operating from many countries including France & L’Oréal USA is embedded in various strategic projects & leads many of them. A key measure of success for the Domain is to create knowledge based high performing materials & prototypes that are protected by strong, strategic & holistic intellectual property for the group. Working closely with cross functional teams, this position requires high technical as well as early prototyping skills & a strong attitude for working in multi-expertise, multi-cultural teams with agility.
- This is a highly technical lab position will require continuous learning & in-depth working knowledge in Material Sciences, Chemistry, Biophysics & experience with problem definition, experimental design/execution, & problem solving. This key technical position will allow one to express oneself with in the entrepreneurial culture of the L’Oréal group & be part of the creation of beauty of the future.
II. PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Translate consumer needs into technical problem statements, identify right material technologies to address the needs & beauty aspirations to deliver various consumer perceivable benefits for hair (styling, coloring, repair).
- Propose new green science driven actives, characterize & demonstrate relevant performance to address unmet consumer needs/benefits.
- Design & conduct experiments individually as well as with team, to validate hypothesis & performance targets
- Interact with various groups across all L’OREAL R&I organization, to ensure new materials & composite are meeting the needs of the broader priorities.
- Maintain a health external focus on new technology developments & Conduct literature searches, IP landscaping as needed by oneself & through partnership with the IP & legal departments to ensure that the latest technologies are explored for relevant applications in creative ways & we create competitive advantage
- Fuel discussions on new technologies, materials, formulations & contribute to strengthening of projects
- Support new & existing product development & application goals as needed by projects
- Expected to be a very effective communicator across the organization to provide clear recommendations on various new Materials, actives & formulations to both scientific & non-scientific audiences
III. JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Material Sciences, Bio-Physics, Bio-Materials, Textile Science, Chemical Engineering, Bio-Chemistry or comparable Sciences required
- 2-5 years of relevant, scientific experience in textiles, natural fibers, materials, or hair research required
- At least 2 years of experience in hair research (chemical treatments / biophysical characterization / structure-activity relationship) is desirable
- Excellent communication (verbal, written) & interpersonal skills required with high sensitivity to a very diverse global culture
- Well organized & flexible with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced highly matrixed environment while meeting established deadlines
- Demonstrated skills in analyzing, reporting & documenting information with attention to detail
- Ability to work independently in a matrix environment both as a team member & as a leader
- Must be authorized to work in the US on a permanent, ongoing basis, without the need for sponsorship now or in the future.
- Appropriate & commensurate with the increasing safety demands of the Americas Region (North America, Central America & South America).
- Operates under general supervision with the ability to make decisions independently & assess when escalation is appropriate.
- Collaborate with international colleagues to ensure global consistency, efficiency, & harmonization & potentially lead global projects.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application for a recognized disability under applicable law, please email [email protected]. Please note this email will only respond to specific requests for assistance completing the application as a request for accommodation for a disability. All others will not be considered.