L’Oreal Beauty Devices
AVP, Device Development
This position is the senior leadership role for device engineering at L’Oreal Beauty Devices, L’Oreal’s internal division that develops and launches high-technology devices globally for Clarisonic and across multiple beauty categories and company brands. The Device Development AVP, in concert with upstream, business, and management colleagues, defines the device launch roadmap and executes the device development projects for Research & Innovation. The primary responsibility is to lead device technical development including technical feasibility, architecture, industrial design, engineering, prototyping, verification and validation, transfer to manufacturing, and sustaining engineering. Critical other responsibilities include providing guidance to upstream exploratory projects to ensure a robust pipeline for development, ensuring high-performance cross-functional collaboration with other highly inter-related L’Oreal functions such as formulation and packaging, providing senior leader in the Seattle location as part of the management committee, and expanding the Company’s core capabilities as a leader transforming the beauty field with advanced technology.
REPORTING – Reports to the SVP of Research and Innovation for Device Development for L’Oreal
LOCATION – Redmond, WA with global interactions and product launches
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead an internal technical team of about 20 and a wide network of internal and external partnerships to develop products for launch
- Provide technical oversight to all development projects, through all key stages including
- Industrial design
- Transfer to Manufacturing
- Sustaining Engineering
- Lead portfolio development, resulting in
- Timely product launches
- Risk-managed development activities, including ensuring system technical performance
- Favorable project budget and product cost performance
- High quality product and project outcomes
- Guide innovation agenda and device pre-development activities by:
- Ensuring that product development requirements are incorporated in upstream roadmaps and concept exploration
- Developing and expanding strategic device core competencies
- Expanding intellectual property portfolio
- Sourcing innovation ideas from high-market awareness and expertise
- Developing functional prototypes to establish proof-of-concept
- Develop and execute long term strategic plans that support corporate objectives, including human resource planning for world-class teams and decisions on winning technology platforms.
- Provide project clarity and appropriate issue escalation (up and down).
- Leverage L’Oreal global R&I expertise for device development, including consumer insights and understanding, formulation packaging, performance evaluation, and formulation chemistry.
- Leverage L’Oreal global Operations expertise in low-cost, high-quality manufacturing for formula and formula packaging.
- Further develop and maintain a top-quality network of external partners for all phases of product development, including third-party experts to assist in consumer-centric product development, industrial design, prototyping, user testing, engineering, and specialty technical needs to supplement the internal team.
- Preserve the high-tech, nimble company culture of L’Oreal Beauty Devices, supporting appropriate risk-taking and device innovation, while expanding capabilities and business success with high internal partnership to L’Oreal’s relevant experts.
- Guide the enhancement of our culture and capabilities by empowering, mentoring, hiring, and retaining highly skilled and motivated employees who believe in the promise of high-technology beauty disruption, our corporate vision, and who help build and execute the LOBD plans and initiatives.
- Lead multiple project teams. Work with technical managers to ensure technical success and that the right resources are assigned to the various projects
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, with advanced degree desired
- 15+ years proven product development experience
- 10+ years consumer, electronics, and/or medical device experience
- Experience in strategic planning and collaboration with executive and key operational groups
- Progressive & proven record of leadership and managing device development projects
- Extensive experience with all phases of the product development lifecycle, including concept, design, implementation, verification and validation activities necessary for product commercialization
- High level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness with strong work ethic and the ability to work independently
- Excellent interpersonal/communications and presentation skills
- Ability to lead, influence, create and work within cross-functional team environments
- Assertive, take-charge, proven manager with a strong results orientation, positive “can do” attitude and a sense of urgency to get things done
- Authorization to work in the US on an on-going basis
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.