Research & Innovation
Clark, New Jersey
Manager in Lip Formulation Development
For L'Oréal, beauty is above all a scientific adventure. This conviction is reflected in the central role of its Research & Innovation (R&I), which deploys its teams around the world to imagine and create the products of tomorrow. The Research and Innovation teams, whose number has increased eight-fold in 20 years, constantly strive to be at the forefront of scientific advances, working in collaboration with the world's leading experts in each field. The results of their work are subject each year to several hundred patent applications and give rise to thousands of formulas. Research and Innovation is today more than 3,800 researchers in thirty disciplines, from basic to applied research, through product development.
What we'll do together:
As a Manager in the Lip Formulation Development Lab within the Research & Innovation Organization at L'Oreal, you will lead technical Development for some of our most Iconic Brands! You'll liaise with our Application Domain to understand new technical innovations for lip products and transfer them to development. You'll lead the 2-3 year development plan for lip products collaborating closely with our Open Development, Pilot and Plant teams for successful launches.
What your day will look like:
- You'll be responsible for all elements of our lip category product development from negotiation of feasibility with Marketing (Product Development) to commercialization and including assistance in post-communication issue resolution.
- Plan and assure execution of all departmental operations and personnel evaluation/development. Initiate, coordinate, and analyze new product development programs
- Monitor and control all work against departmental project goals and objectives.
- Evaluate technical staff based upon performance compared to the above goals and objectives.
- Supervise Sr. Chemist and Chemist level staff including priority setting, performance appraisals, and training/development.
- Identify issues with new/existing products for R&D management.
- Manage resource allocation and priority setting depending on marketing requests and business needs.
- Create prototype formulae that answer consumers’ needs for the different brands he/she is in charge of.
- Stay aware of the makeup market and generate new ideas to keep his/her brand ahead of competition.
- Solve any problems that may arise during development to meet all Officialization dates of projects.
- Provide updates with progress of Projects on a timely and regular manner. Documents should be precise and accurate.
- Serve as a creative facilitator in the Marketing/R&D interface
- Identify issues with new and existing products for R&D management.
- Issue technical dossiers for new products or modifications of existing products.
- Coordinate scale up and initial successful commercial manufacture of new products either in-house or with contract manufacturers.
- Maintain awareness of new technical or marketing opportunities from scientific and technical literature and publications.
- Establish departmental goals and objectives. Monitor and control all work with these projects while evaluating technical staff based upon performance compared to the objectives.
- Assure motivation, growth, and development of staff. Manage performance appraisals, and training development.
- Ensure fluid communication with International counterparts.
- Identify opportunities to achieve efficiency in plant manufacturing with innovative processing/filling technology and/or alternate raw material sources.
What you'll need:
- BS in Chemistry or related science, Master's or Ph.D. a plus.
- Minimum 5+ years’ experience in the cosmetics industry, specifically in formulation of lip products. Experience formulating with active ingredients for lip products is also desired.
- Management experience required.
- Must be able to prioritize, handle multiple projects, and work with various groups within a matrix organization.
- Must be adept at giving technical presentations to large groups of professionals.
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal skills
- Authorization to work long-term in the U.S.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status. If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application for a recognized disability under applicable law, please email USApplicationAccommodation@support.lorealusa.com. Please note this email will only respond to specific requests for assistance completing the application as a request for accommodation for a disability. All others will not be considered.