Title: Sr I Chemist
Division: Analytical Chemistry, L’Oréal Research & Innovation
Location: Clark, NJ
Reports To: Manager, Analytical
Join our L’Oréal USA Research & Innovation Talent Community for Analytical Chemistry
Who We Are:
Inside L’Oréal’s Research & Innovation Division, Analytical Chemistry is responsible for working with our over 35 brands and partnering with development and manufacturing teams to design studies, generate analytical data, and summarize findings regarding our products using the latest instruments, methodologies, and techniques. We value the development of products that are backed by science to establish stability, performance, safety, and quality regardless of the brand or division.
We are looking for a talented and highly motivated scientist that is passionate about problem-solving and investigating the chemistry behind our products, can use data to support conclusions and claims, and has a deep drive to ensure beauty products are held to the highest standards in quality and safety. The successful candidate for this position must have expertise and hands on experience developing, validating, evaluating, and implementing methods for hair color, hair care and styling.
What You Will Learn:
As a member of our Analytical Chemistry team, you have a key role to play in the development of our products. Your responsibilities will include the following:
- Lead and assist in designing and executing analytical procedures for the analysis of active ingredients and formulation inerts in hair products
- Develop and validate analytical methods to advance the hair product development program and to ensure good quality, compliance, and safety.
- Liaise closely with stakeholders from sales, marketing, regulatory, operations and operations to understand business needs, and provide technical support for development and after-market product launches.
- Collects, process and interpret data accurately, derive conclusions based on sound science, and prepare reports to effectively communicate results and findings to key stakeholders (audience with and without scientific backgrounds).
· Continually develop knowledge in new areas of product technology to improve efficiency in assigned projects.
- Utilize existing and implement new analytical technologies within a development program to foster innovation across the analytical technical community
- Serve as a subject matter expert. Collaborate closely with our brand partners in support of product development, to drive company strategy and initiatives to completion
- Adhere to written procedures and practices to ensure good quality, compliance, and safety
- Ability to quickly adapt to changes, delays, unexpected events, and able to manage multiple projects prioritizing the work to ensure on time delivery of results and critical project milestones
- Maintain awareness of consumer trends, as well as evolving capabilities in the analytical chemistry field
- Develop working relationships with cross-functional teams, labs, and international colleagues to ensure breadth and depth
- Perform general troubleshooting and instrumentation maintenance
- Actively participate in L’Oréal’s international analytical technical communities
What We Are Looking For:
- Must be eligible to work on an ongoing and continuous basis without the need for sponsorship now or in the future.
- Bachelors (8+ years), or MS in chemistry (+5 years of relevant experience). Elemental testing focus required.
- Have a strong experimental background and skills using elemental testing instrumentation to solve challenging technical problems and develop novel methods/assays.
- Experienced with ICP-MS and ICP-OES based systems is a must.
- Experienced with Amino Acid Analyzer, GC, GC/MS, HPLC, and HPLC/MS is required.
- Strong analytical thinking and problem-solving skills, analytical development and product characterization experience in hair color, hair care and styling is preferred.
- Proven ability to lead, plan, coordinate, and complete challenging analytical projects while collaborating with cross-functional teams.
- Experienced working in a fast-paced/high intensity environment.
- Strong attention to details, decision-making skills, and adherence to safety procedures and practices.
- Strong communication skills.
- Proficient computer skills and experienced using various IT systems and databases relevant to analytical technology.
- Ability to take calculated risks, be proactive and self-directed.
- Committed to delivering high quality results and overcoming challenges.
- Knowledge of ICH guidelines, GMPs, and regulations is a plus but not required.
- Self-motivated to learn, hardworking and curious individual with the ability to think innovatively about difficult research problems.
- Be a good coach and have passion to develop self and others within the organization.
What’s In It For You:
- Competitive Benefit Package (Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K, Pension Plan)
- Flexible Time Off (Paid Company Holidays, Paid Vacation, Vacation Buy Program, Volunteer Time, Summer Fridays & More!)
- Access to Company Perks (VIP Access to L’Oréal’s Internal Shop for Discounted Products, Monthly Mobile Allowance)
- Learning & Development Opportunities for Career Progression (Unlimited Access to E-learnings, Lunch & Learn Sessions, Mentorship Programs, & More!)
- Employee Resource Groups (Think Tanks and Innovation Squads)
- Access to Mental Health & Wellness Programs
Don’t meet every single requirement? At L'Oréal, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and innovative workplace. If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with the qualifications listed in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways! You may just be the right candidate for this or other roles!
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We would love to find out more about you as a candidate and do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to access job openings or apply for a job on this site as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by contacting [email protected]. If you need assistance to accommodate a disability, you may request an accommodation at any time.
Our Safe Together Plan: Your safety is our highest priority. We will proceed with caution and adhere to enhanced protection standards to ensure our sites are safe for all employees. We must all operate with the shared responsibility for each other’s health & safety in mind.