For more than a hundred years, L’Oréal believes that beauty needs Science. In a world now transformed by digital technology and the emergence of new scientific Domains, we are confident in our ability to turn these opportunities into major innovations, closely linked to the new consumer expectations all over the world. Science & Technology are allowing us to invent safe, trustable, sustainable & responsible beauty products and experiences that will change people’s lives.
L’Oréal R&I has continuously invested upstream in its research with a high level of ambition. Our 3800 L'Oréal R&I people are talented and highly skilled, located in major markets, working in a cooperative way, opened to the world.
As part of the R&I organization, the Intellectual Property department works on protecting new L’Oreal technologies and clearing products for global launches.
We are looking for a motivated Patents Engineer to take on a critical role in the product clearance process in our Clark, New Jersey facility.
You Will . . .
- APPLY STRATEGIC THINKING TO IMPROVE PATENT SCREENING PROCESS PERFORMANCE
- MASTER PROCESSING AND TRACKING OF RTM (“RIGHT TO MARKET” OR FREEDOM TO OPERATE) REQUESTS FROM THE LABS, INTERACTING EFFICIENCTLY WITH THE LABS TO STREAMLINE SUBMISSIONS AND APPROVALS.
- CONDUCT PRELIMINARY SCREENING OF FORMULAS, RETRIEVE AND REVIEW RELEVANT PATENT INFORMATION IN INTERNAL DATABASES.
- SEARCH FOR PATENTS (COMPETITOR AND L’OREAL PATENTS) ON INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL DATABASES
- WORK WITH EXTERNAL VENDORS AND PATENT ATTORNEYS ON PATENT SEARCH REQUESTS AND RTM STUDIES
- DEVELOP AND APPLY PATENT ANALYSIS SKILLS (CLAIM ANALYSIS, PATENT FAMILY, LEGAL STATUS) TO IDENTIFY RELEVANT PATENTS AND REVIEW THEM WITH PATENT ATTORNEYS.
- FINALIZE RTM CLEARANCE REPORTS FOR NEW PRODUCTS.
- TRAIN PATENT LIAISON PERSONNEL ON VARIOUS RTM PROCESSES AND ADMINISTRATIVE MATTERS.
- WORK WITH SCIENTISTS AND ATTORNEYS/AGENTS TO ENHANCE OUTCOME OF PATENT PROSECUTION & ENFORCEMENT ACTVITIES, LITIGATION, AND OPPOSITIONS
- BE INVOLVED WITH COMPETITIVE INTELLIGENCE ACTIVITIES
- ATTEND LAB OFFICE HOURS WITH PATENT ATTORNEYS/AGENTS.
- ASSIST AND TRAIN LABS ON RTM CONCEPTS AND WELL-CRAFTED RTM SUBMISSIONS - INCLUDING VIA FORMAL PRESENTATIONS
You Have . . .
- BS/MS IN CHEMISTRY, MATERIALS SCIENCE, CHEMICAL ENGINEERING, POLYMER SCIENCE, BIOCHEMISTRY OR RELATED FIELD WITH COURSES IN ORGANIC CHEMISTRY REQUIRED
- 5-10 YEARS OF RELEVANT INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- LAB EXPERIENCE, PREFERABLY IN FORMULATION AND KNOWLEDGE IN THE USE OF CHEMICAL/PERSONAL CARE INGREDIENTS
- FAMILIARITY WITH AND INTEREST IN PATENTS (SEARCH, ANALYSIS, CLEARANCE), WITH POSSIBLE PATENT AGENT DESIGNATION
- EXPERIENCE WITH COMPLEX BUSINESS PROCESSES
- WORKED INDEPENDENTLY WITH MINIMAL SUPERVISION
- EXCELLENT COMPUTER SKILLS INCLUDING EXPERIENCE W/ MICROSOFT APPLICATIONS (WORD, EXCEL AND POWER POINT, OUTLOOK E-MAIL) & SEARCHING ON THE INTERNET AND WEB-BASED DATABASES
- AUTHORIZATION TO WORK IN THE US ON A PERMENENT, ONGOING BASIS WITHOUT THE NEED FOR SPONSORSHIP NOW OR IN THE FUTURE
You Are . . .
- WELL-ORGANIZED AND ANALYTICAL
- AN EFFICIENT COMMUNICATOR AND WRITER
- EAGER TO APPLY KNOWLEDGE OF SCIENCE, PATENTS AND FORMULATION RAW MATERIALS TO ACHIEVE STRONG BUSINESS PROCESS RESULTS
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application for a recognized disability under applicable law, please email [email protected]. Please note this email will only respond to specific requests for assistance completing the application as a request for accommodation for a disability. All others will not be considered.