Responsible for the pre-development innovation function for aesthetic devices, applicators, and formulations. Drives innovation processes and capabilities and leads a team for internal and external ideation with broad, systematic sourcing of innovation, technical analysis of engineering and scientific aspects of identified technology, down-selection, proof of performance, and functional requirements specifications. Collaborates with upstream partners (Advanced Research, Applied Research, and Product Development Marketing) and with downstream partners (Product Development Engineering, Operations, and Brand Marketing) to ensure a robust, high market potential pipeline ready to transfer to development. Supplies technical expertise for beauty devices at a systems level, including application areas of cleansing, skincare, haircare, make-up, and others.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure strong pipeline of new devices, product extensions, and corresponding formulations and applicators ready for development
- Collaboratively lead the product innovation agenda, including translating market needs to product concepts, identifying suitable technologies, and defining and testing critical parameters for successful products.
- Maintain and grow the innovation-based success of the #1 brand in beauty devices based upon best-in-world performance and quality
- Foster open innovation with academia, start-ups, and other industry
- Transform advanced research ideas into proven concepts ready for development and commercialization
- Collaborate with advanced and applied research to define roadmap for promising technologies
- Move technology from applied research state to development state, including specifying key technical parameters of the therapy, defining system requirements, developing viable product concepts, and ensure in vivo proof-of-concept under realistic conditions
- Grow the company’s portfolio with meaningful intellectual property that provides competitive advantage and barriers to entry
- IP landscape in devices to find unique opportunity areas and ensure our right to practice
Management and Organizational Development
- Effectively accomplish work using exemplary management, capitalizing on and maturing an entrepreneurial and dynamic environment
- Lead, develop, and motivate a small team focused on pre-development
- Expand systems engineering capability in core cleansing expertise and expanding into other energy-based systems.
- Manage group budget and oversee the department administration
- Master's degree (PhD preferred) in Mechanical, Electrical, or Systems Engineering, or related fields.
- Technical expertise and experience in personal care, asthetic medical, and/or relevant consumer electronics. 10+ years required.
- Demonstrated capability in innovation in these or related fields, including ideation and bring-to-market success.
- Senior engineering management roles with 10+ years required.
- Excellent communication (verbal, written) and interpersonal skills for collaboration with senior marketing and R&D collaborators and vendors
- Ideally, proven track record across large companies and start-up environments.
- Ability and desire to travel 10-20% of the time
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.