Position Title: Chemist , Hair Care, Manageability & Styling Development, L'Oreal Paris
Location: Clark, New Jersey
Department: Hair Care, Manageability & Styling Development Labs
For more than one hundred years, L’Oréal believes that beauty needs Science. In a world now transformed by digital technology and the emergence of new scientific domains, we are confident in our ability to turn these opportunities into major innovations, closely linked to the new consumer expectations all over the world. Science & Technology are allowing us to invent safe, trustable, sustainable & responsible beauty products and experiences that will change people’s lives.
L’Oréal Research & Innovation (R&I) has continuously invested upstream in its research with a high level of ambition. Our 4,100 L'Oréal R&I people are talented and highly skilled, located in major markets, working in a cooperative way, open to the world. L’Oréal, Research & Innovation is a vast, multidisciplinary, scientific community working in more than 30 specialized fields, spread out across the world in 21 research centers across 6 regional hubs, 14 evaluation centers, and 49 scientific and regulatory departments. Our employees represent over 60 nationalities and are united for one passion: to invent and perfect innovative, high-performance products for the well-being of all across the world.
To discover more on our scientific and technical functions at L'Oréal Research & Innovation, please check out our website
We are seeking a Chemist to join Hair Care, Manageability & Styling Development in our Clark, NJ facility for Research & Innovation. This role is responsible for creating, coordinating, and implementing innovative hair care & style product development programs to support Consumer brand/category innovation strategies for the L'Oreal Paris brand. In this role you will develop technically robust formulation solutions that adhere to safety, regulatory and quality best practices/requirements. You will initiate lab scale experimentation, evaluation, compatibility and stability studies to ensure smooth transition of innovative products through the product develop process culminating in transfer to manufacturing. This role requires the ability to work in a matrix reporting organization and function in a team consensus environment with both local R&I and International Teams.
As a Chemist in our Hair Care, Manageability & Styling Development, your main responsibilities are:
- Develop and implement new Hair Care & Hair Style innovations. Assist in the proposal of technical concepts in the field of Hair Care & Style
- Work closely with the scale-up (DG/Pilot), Marketing (DMI) Claims, Safety, Regulatory and Evaluation Centers to ensure smooth transition of new products and technologies through the product development process
- Communicate on the technology of new products to colleagues from different geographic locations, functions and stakeholders within the company
- Maintain good knowledge of competitor’s patent environments, consumer insights, need gaps as well as emerging marketing trends
To Succeed in this Position, You Have:
- A completed Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, biology or related field with 1-3 years of laboratory experience required
- 1-3 years formulation experience (hair) preferred
- Formulation, analytical and project management skills preferred
- Experience implementing digital tools & data visualization preferred
- Experience with skin/hair biology including but not limited to the skin/scalp microbiome preferred
- A self-starter with a passion for the industry
- Demonstrated creativity and resourcefulness in solving technical problems that may arise during product development or in the transfer of the technology to manufacturing
- Knowledge of applicable IT and R&I laboratory systems
- Must be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time, permanent, ongoing basis, without the need for legal sponsorship now or in the future.
To Succeed in this Position, You Are:
- Able to think creatively to find new & unique solutions to complex product development problems
- Well organized and a hard-working team player
- A good communicator (verbal and written), interpersonal and computer skills
- Achieve results with integrity
What's In It For You:
- Corporate Short-Term Incentives (Corporate Profit-Sharing Bonus, Individual Performance Bonuses based on level)
- Competitive Benefit Package (Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K, Pension Plan)
- Flexible Time Off (Paid Company Holidays, Paid Vacation, Vacation Buy Program, Volunteer Time, Summer Fridays & More!)
- Access to Company Perks (VIP Access to L’Oréal’s Internal Shop for Discounted Products)
- Learning & Development Opportunities (Unlimited Access to E-learnings, Lunch & Learn Sessions, Mentorship Programs, & More!)
- Employee Resource Groups (Think Tanks and Innovation Squads)
- Access to Mental Health & Wellness Programs
Don’t meet every single requirement? At L'Oréal, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and innovative workplace. If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with the qualifications listed in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways! You may just be the right candidate for this or other roles!
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application for a recognized disability under applicable law, please ema. Please note this email will only respond to specific requests for assistance completing the application as a request for accommodation for a disability. All others will not be considered.
Our Safe Together Plan: Your safety is our highest priority. We will proceed with caution and adhere to enhanced protection standards to ensure our sites are safe for all employees. We must all operate with the shared responsibility for each other’s health & safety in mind.