Do you want to work at the bench on the formulation of new and innovative products related to hair care & styling products for professionals in the hair care & styling industry?
Then L'Oréal Research & Innovation (R&I) might be exactly the place you have always been looking for!
For more than one hundred years, L’Oréal believes that Beauty needs Science. In a world now transformed by digital technology and the emergence of new scientific Domains, we are confident in our ability to turn these opportunities into major innovations, closely linked to the new consumer expectations all over the world. Science & Technology are allowing us to invent safe, dependable, sustainable & responsible beauty products and experiences that will change people’s lives. L’Oréal Research and Innovation has continuously invested upstream in its research with a high level of ambition. Our 3800+ L'Oréal R&I people are talented and highly skilled, located in major markets, working in a cooperative way, opened to the world.
Inside L’Oréal’s Research & Innovation Division, Development is responsible for working closely with our over 35 brands to adapt and innovate formulations into new and exciting products based on consumer and marketing insights. Development of great products requires building strong, international collaborations across different functions to ensure that products are seen from inception to officialization for our local and global launch deadlines.
We are currently seeking a talented and innovative Hair Care & Styling Development Chemist to join our Development department located at our Clark, New Jersey facility for Research and Innovation. In this role, you are responsible for the creative and technical aspects of specific product development categories. You'll maintain awareness of scientific literature, patents, raw material technology, processing methodology, and marketing/consumer trends required to perform innovative product development assignments in an efficient manner. You'll develop in vitro evaluation methods to speed up the screening of Hair Care & Styling oriented technologies for our Professional Products Division, which focuses on products for salons and Hair Care & Styling Professionals. You'll also be overseeing a safe and orderly laboratory environment.
You Will . . .
- Develop new Hair Care & Styling innovations, technical concepts and breakthrough technologies.
- Develop expertise in the Chemistry of Hair Care & Styling Products
- Work closely with Innovative Raw Materials Department, suppliers, and universities to identify new raw materials and new technologies with potential benefits for Hair Care & Styling applications.
- Define patent strategy that will safeguard the formula and technology invented.
- Work closely with the labs and scale-up (DG/Pilot) to ensure smooth transition of new products and technologies.
- Communicate and present the technology of new products to the strategic committee and colleagues from different geographic locations and different categories within the company.
- Maintain knowledge of competitor’s patent environments and close awareness of consumer need gap and marketing trends.
You Have . . .
You Are . . .
- A minimum of a Bachelor's Degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering or related science is required. Engineering degree preferred.
- Strong communication, presentation and project management skills.
- Ability to work independently and to drive the project forward with minimum supervision. Sensitive to various cosmetic products attributes.
- 1-3 years of experience in a laboratory environment is required. Experience in hair care, hair styling, hair color, makeup, or personal care products a plus.
- Experience and understanding of formulation of, surfactant and emulsion systems.
- Be able to think out of the box and willing to take an extra step to get job done.
- Expertise in chemistry, understanding surface-interface properties and surface characterization.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to share and teach in the area of expertise with experts and non-experts alike.
- An established self-awareness, in terms of understanding your own culture, identity, biases, prejudices, power privilege, and stereotypes.
- Someone who is innovative and resourceful in problem solving technical challenges
- Someone who can achieve results without compromising integrity
- Someone who has a scientific curiosity and passion for consumer products
- Creative and self-motivated.
- Someone who values innovating and pushing boundaries with an entrepreneurial spirit
- In tune with or interested in hair care and styling product trends and attributes
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application for a recognized disability under applicable law, please email USApplicationAccommodation@support.lorealusa.com
. Please note this email will only respond to specific requests for assistance completing the application as a request for accommodation for a disability. All others will not be considered.