Responsible for high level project management & technical support of external collaboration projects in the area of material science. This will include both support with monitoring on-going external collaboration projects and also carrying out necessary formulation and experimental characterization support utilizing both internal and external experimental capability. Experimental results will be analyzed and presented to internal stakeholders and next steps identified and implemented. External publications and presentation of selected results will be encouraged.
The senior scientist will additionally carry out technology scouting of smart and performance material technologies which will address key strategic challenges as identified by the AXIS, GPS, Poles etc. These will include both start-up technologies as well as academic technologies. Additionally, technology triage of identified technologies based on strong alignment with internal prioritized needs and technical value proposition will need to be carried out. Key deliverable is expected to be a steady pipeline of innovative smart and performance material technologies to the L’Oreal innovation pipeline.
II. PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Carry out necessary formulation and experimental activities to support the Advanced Research Materials Science program in the US.
- Coordinate projects between L’Oréal laboratories and external technology collaborators
- Together with relevant internal technical experts carry out technology triage/technical due diligence of identified technologies.
- Interface with Business Development, contract and patent attorneys to execute contracts and patents.
- Project manage evaluation projects with external partners.
- Structuring the project portfolio and project teams across R&I, leveraging the right ecosystem of scientific and technical expertise (internal & external; local & global) - implementing new ways of working (fast formulation, fast prototyping, agile innovation)
- Scout/Identify novel materials science technologies from Universities and Startups to address key challenge.
- Align and work with US formulation groups-RAP, Pre Dev to develop project evaluation programs to ensure fast formulation and rapid prototyping.
- Carry out alliance Management of Material Science Academic and Startup Projects.
- Lead global material science committee in L’Oreal to ensure proper coordination and alignment of projects.
- Provide physical chemistry/material science/rheology expertise to projects.
- Carry out technology due diligence of new material science opportunities.
- Align and work closely with IP/Legal/Business Development for contract initiation/negation and alliance management.
- Develop skills and line manage scientists in area of materials science.
- Maintain high external visibilitry through conference chairing, committee presence etc.
III. JOB REQUIREMENTS
• Ph.D. in physical chemistry, chemical engineering, or materials science.
• 10+ years prior experience in the area of colloids, soft matter, complex fluids & material characterization techniques (light scattering, rheology, neutron scattering, microscopy etc)
• Intermediate knowledge of product innovation and development processes
• Strong analytical, problem solving, and project management skills
• Excellent communication skills, interpersonal skills, and computer skills.
• Multi-lingual skills desirable
• Must be legally eligible to work in the US on an on-going basis
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.