Director of Education Job Description
Job Title: Director of Education- Street
Job Grade: Director
Supervisor Title: Assistant Vice President of Field Education
Location: Field Education/Remote
Section 2: Job Summary
The Director of Education (DOE) is responsible for the strategic planning of all Brand education and experiences ensuring that activities are aligned with Brand priorities in their defined market. The DOE accomplishes these goals and objectives through the development and ongoing execution of a divisional plan. This plan identifies specific strategies and tactics, working within national guidelines, standards, resources, and programs.
The DOE serves as the technical expert and resource for the division and is focused on ensuring the adherence to education standards and aligning field sales, education and corporate initiatives, through increasing education resources, focusing & prioritizing education activities and developing the education strategy to support brand business plans including in-salon education, shows, new product introduction, and sales efforts.
Section 3: Job Requirements: (Typical years of experience, skills, certification and academic background to perform this job)
- High School graduate. College graduates a plus.
- Licensed cosmetologist with min. 5 years industry experience
- Superior technical hairdressing
- Superior sales and communication skills
- Ability to analyze client business objectives and propose a solution that benefits both the brand and the client
- Knowledge of business and educational aspects of Salon Centric / distributor organization
- An understanding of Salon Centric / Distributor educational planning as it relates to class policies, use of field, contract trainers and event P & L
- Ability to plan, develop, and adhere to budgets, for all field training activity and T&E
- Demonstrate excellent presentation skills to produce and model effective classes, programs, events and meetings.
- Demonstrate exceptional leadership skills to motivate Brand field and distributor staff.
- Demonstrate excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Display in all aspects of the position flexibility (openness to change), self-initiated career management (accountability for learning / acquiring skills needed to excel), embrace and believe in all elements of the Brand vision, values and objectives.
- Proactively manage time, taking into consideration both business and personal calendar responsibilities.
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Must live in designated geographical territory (Midwest & West Regions OH, MI, IN, WI, IL, IA, MN, NE, CO, UT, WA, OR, CA, AZ)
- Ability to travel extensively (minimum 50%)
- Ability to be flexible and accept change and be a team player
Key Understandings and Commitments:
- Understand and embrace the Brand Culture and Philosophy.
- Full comprehension of Brand Education Methodology and Training.
- Participate in all corporate events inclusive of Divisional Meetings and Sales meetings.
- Supports Brand events, special accounts and shows as directed.
- Upholds L’Oreal policies and procedures for all working relationships with salons.
- Attends and participates in Brand Artist Training as directed.
- Maintains technical competence under L’Oreal PPD standards.
- Attends divisional meetings and sales meetings as directed.
- Maintain the Brand Image as defined by the brand.
Section 4: Judgment and Decision Making: (Describe the nature and impact of decisions required for this position as well as the type of supervision required for this position from the following; Close, Moderate, Intermittent, Non
This position requires intermittent supervision as incumbent will be working independently the majority of the time in the field directly with our brand, distributor and account partners.
Section 5: Essential Physical Requirements (if applicable – i.e. lifting – exactly how much, bending, climbing, driving equipment):
Extensive travel within given territory (driving, flying, train, etc.), lifting of promotional materials and products up to 25 pound which may also require bending.
Section 6: Financial Scope (if applicable):
Annual Budget Responsibility: Per Brand
Annual Revenue Responsibility: By brand and territory
Section 7: Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Briefly describe 5-8 primary duties/responsibilities of the job. Please list these duties in order of importance and include the percentage of time spent or required for each activity
Tasks, Duties & Responsibilities
% of time spent.
Total should = 100%
- DIVISIONAL EDUCATION MANAGEMENT:
Achieve, exceed annual education objectives and key strategic metrics and management of individual and team Fuel, and T&E budget
EDUCATION MANAGEMENT OF EXISTING BUSINESS:
- Lead the discussions, planning and execution of the education and experience plans for Top salons to drive sales and increase in salon market share and loyalty.
- Regular meetings with Top Salon Customers and key market influencers in collaboration with VP of Sales to align on joint priorities and reinforce education support to drive results.
- Strategic planning with EMs of National education initiatives including Brand Programs and Brand Education Events.
- Strategic planning consultation with REs on learning experiences for salons and stylists to help increase market share and growth for both the salon and the brand.
- Plan and initiate the annual Education calendar, based on feedback from PPD Sales Team and Distributor Education Manager as well as knowledge and analysis of Brand education strategy.
- Collaborate store education calendar, based on feedback from PPD Sales Teams and VP of sales, Director of Stores/Chains/Schools as well as the distributor education manager to maximize on Brand priorities and education strategy.
- Evaluate the effectiveness and ROI of education classes, seminars, shows, workshops and events.
- Targeted contribution as the technical liaison at distributor quarterly action meetings, sales prep planning meetings and sales meetings.
NEW BUSINESS EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT:
- Orchestrate collaboration with VP of Sales, PPD Sales Team, RE, SalonCentric and SBP team to determine the appropriate education strategy to achieve conversion in the most productive manner for new salon partnerships.
- Implement and execute education plan for new partnership conversions for potential black level elite new partnerships.
- Participate in New Partnership Events as the education lead of the event and/or managing the event logistic as well as the artist support as needed.
- REGIONAL EDUCATOR MANAGEMENT / DEVELOPMENT
MANAGEMENT OF REGIONAL EDUCATORS
- Evaluate technical skills, presentation skills and product knowledge within the division education staff against benchmarks and standards established by the brand.
- Coach and develop Regional Educator in territory on required skills and education competencies to help REs grow in their career.
- Assess individual training opportunities of individual REs to ensure consistency in high levels of support and service to our customers and clients.
- Facilitate regular status calls with each team member as well as in person development & training.
- Manage G&Os, including annual development and mid-year reviews as well as reporting of G&O performance to AVP of Field Education and finance.
- Ensure RE compliance with company policies and procedures as well as adherence to fuel and T&E budgets.
- Liaison between field staff and Corporate Education, the DOE is responsible for disseminating a clear, concise Brand Education message. Ensure adherence to Brand guidelines, standards and programs. Ensure accuracy of product and technical information and the consistency of technical and product presentation within the division.
- Provide additional coaching and feedback during annual development plan calls with Level 1 - 4 artists in collaboration with the Brand Training Team.
- Work in collaboration with the Brand Training Team and the Academy Manager during annual development plan calls with Level 3 and 4 artists.
- Coach RE team to assess and analyze their regions to strategize on the needs of the market for recruitment of new artists.
- Actively participate in education / sales training as established by the Brand Director of Training, AVP of Field Education and AVP of Artist Training & Development.
- Create and maintain in conjunction with the Brand VP of Sales and PPD Sales teams an annual rolling territory plan.
- Monthly education status commentary for territory
- Weekly status calls with RE Team, AVP of Field Education and full education team
- Monthly budget review and analysis
- Monthly education activity review and analysis
- T&E submitted in a timely manner as per policy
- Complete necessary tracking as per request
Section 8: Required Competencies:
Briefly describe 5-8 primary competencies that are core requirements for this position, in order of importance. Different from job responsibilities, these are “soft skills” that are required for success. Please refer to the L’Oreal USA MAP competencies. Examples include managing complexity, interacts effectively, innovates, etc.
1. Sensitivity to Metier
2. Demonstrates Entrepreneurship
3. Achieves Results, with Integrity
4. Manages Complexity
5. Leads with Human Sensitivity
6. Interacts Effectively
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application for a recognized disability under applicable law, please email [email protected]
. Please note this email will only respond to specific requests for assistance completing the application as a request for accommodation for a disability. All others will not be considered.