Background of L’Oreal Research and Innovation
L’Oreal, the #1 global beauty company, has a strong focus on Research and Innovation rooted in its fundamental belief that beauty needs Science. Globally, L’Oreal invests over $1 Billion USD annually in Research and Innovation, files ~500 patents, and employs over 4,000 scientists and engineers. The breadth of research includes 30 disciplines such as Chemistry (Physical, Organic, Inorganic), Biochemistry, Biology (Skin, Synthetic, Molecular), Materials Science and Engineering (Chemical, Mechanical, Electronics), Artificial Intelligence, Beauty Devices, just to name a few.
In a world transformed by digital technology and emergence of L’Oréal’s new scientific Domains, we are confident in our ability to turn these opportunities into major innovations, closely linked to new consumer expectations all over the world. Science & technologies allow us to invent safe, trustable, sustainable & responsible beauty products and experiences that will delight consumers and change people’s lives. L’Oréal’s Research and Innovation is rooted in its practices of Diversity and Inclusion (e.g. perfect score on the 2021 Disability Equality Index (DEI) for the fourth consecutive year), Environmental responsibility, Empowerment of Women in Science and Ethics.
Americas Open Innovation Scout Role
A key necessity to launch the most superior products is to incorporate world-class disruptive technologies developed internally or accessed externally. The Open Innovation Americas Scout’s main role is to collaborate with external partners in the Americas ecosystem across a variety of industries (Pharmaceutical, Materials, Biotech, Agriculture, Food, etc.), identify, learn, triage and adapt the best technologies for L’Oréal’s needs. This role requires the Scout to have scientific breadth, strong personal networks, curiosity, creativity and desire to learn.
What’s in it for the Scout
- Learning cutting-edge technologies across many industries in the world’s most technologically advanced region while utilizing strategic business skills.
- Assuming an influential leadership role between the external world (startups, academia, accelerators, venture capital firms, SMEs) and L’Oréal’s internal R&I teams.
- Acting as a key contributor to L’Oréal’s superior product portfolio pipeline and having a meaningful impact on consumer’s lives throughout the world.
- Some examples of Open Innovation products are: Gjosa water saving device in hair salons, Clue App for tracking menstrual health, My Skin Track UV for monitoring UV exposure, etc.
- Identify, analyze, and prioritize relevant open (external) innovation opportunities and ensure cross-functional feedback and internal alignment.
- Link selected targets to company objectives, strategy, and vision. Become recognized as the key interface between L'Oréal Research & Innovation (R&I) and the open innovation partner upon initial contact and due diligence.
- Build and maintain a robust network of startups, academics, accelerators, incubators and KOL’s operating in the relevant scientific fields and industries in the Americas.
- Add value to the R&I Open Innovation and Business Development teams both within the US and globally.
Search & Evaluate:
- Identify, analyze, classify and segment potential opportunities (targets).
- Manage deal life cycle in accordance with defined milestones.
- Identify, prioritize and synthesize information about targets based on given criteria.
- Clearly articulate financial and nonfinancial deal rationale including value proposition, technology and culture.
- Summarize background research and analysis, and aggregate data to recommend a partner management strategy.
- Maintain external relationships and focuses on market conditions to ensure ability to pursue appropriate targets.
- Assemble publicly available information to drive the due diligence process with internal and external stakeholders.
- Determine decision factors early in the deal cycle and take responsibility for the process.
- Manage data room content and ensure stakeholders (cross-functional team) have all relevant information.
- Pursue “Know Your Business” philosophy and dive deep into details to understand how and where the business operates.
- Communicate key findings and recommendations to internal stakeholders to drive due diligence process forward effectively.
- Build relationships with counterparties to efficiently obtain relevant information and subsequently define deal milestones.
- PhD in Materials, Chemical, Computational or Physical sciences from a leading academic institution (preferred).
- 7+ years of relevant experience managing the technical and scientific identification and evaluation of Business Development innovation projects in a R&D setting.
- Sound scientific knowledge and ability to gauge a broad range of technological and scientific fields, ideally in a Beauty and/or Consumer Products setting.
- Strong communication, analytical, and negotiation skills, coupled with strategic awareness of products, consumers, customers, and channels.
- Track record of producing high quality assessments of scientific partnering opportunities.
- Experience working with international partners highly preferred.
- Team Player - works well both independently and with cross-functional teams, with demonstrated project management and leadership skills.
- Desire to learn and be flexible as needs change and/or new information is uncovered.
- Self-Starter and dependable with strong interpersonal, collaboration and presentation skills.
- Must be able to travel domestically and internationally. Frequent travel between Clark, NJ and Boston, MA required.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status. If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application for a recognized disability under applicable law, please email [email protected]. Please note this email will only respond to specific requests for assistance completing the application as a request for accommodation for a disability. All others will not be considered. #DDIR
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application for a recognized disability under applicable law, please email [email protected]. Please note this email will only respond to specific requests for assistance completing the application as a request for accommodation for a disability. All others will not be considered.