Clark NJ 80% (home office) NYC 20%
Research & Innovation
Director, Consumer & Market Insights
The Consumer, Market Insight & Foresight team within Research and Innovation (R&I) provides consumer and market intelligence, insights, trend tacking and forecasting to facilitate the identification of “disruptive innovation” across the full L’Oreal portfolio, feeding into a Design Thinking process.
The team uses a wide variety of insights/research and trend analytics tools and mixed-methodologies: quantitative, qualitative, online, offline, primary and secondary data sources. From social listening, to ethnographies, to semiotics, to surveys, to focus groups to online communities.
The department works with brands, category managers and laboratories, partnering with scientists, inventors, creatives, makers, consumers, bloggers, professionals, experts, etc. In addition, the team collaborates with insights and foresight partners globally. The department steers and inspires disruptive innovation partnering (working side-by-side daily) with product designers, scientists and researchers.
We are seeking a new team member who thrives on “insights-to-innovation” (disruptive, game-changing innovation), and gets a thrill from seeing insights and foresights turned into tangible life-changing products, services and experiences.
- Responsible for designing and executing consumer and market research to: identify emerging consumer behaviors, wants and needs; new consumer segments (now, next and future); market trends (micro, macro and mega) and strategic points-of-view on topics such as “the Future of Makeup”, and then transforming those insights into actionable innovation roadmaps..
- Helping to develop new Innovation platforms that will feed different division and brand NPD pipelines, including: designing and moderating Innovation workshops (with external and internal participants), writing and testing new product concepts, and developing data-driven compelling arguments for ground-breaking innovation territories.
- Supporting the US R&I (Innovation Departments) efforts to support key strategic opportunities and business priorities.
- Co-lead and support strategy and projects with key R+I partners: Applied research , Pre-Development labs, Evaluation, Packaging Innovation, Open Innovation Lab, Connected Cosmetics Incubator, Consumer Market Intelligence, etc.
- Designing new research and Innovation workshop methodologies.
JOB EXPERIENCE AND REQUIREMENTS:
- BS Degree in Marketing, Business Admin, Commerce or Market Research equired; MBA optional
- 5-7 years research experience (agency or client side) – Classic CPG/beauty experience is preferable, HAIR experience is ideal
- Familiarity and comfort with traditional market/consumer research methods (e.g., sales data, House Hold Panel data, off take and shipment trends, etc.) and familiarity with analytics tools/programs (IRI, Symphony, IPSOS, DunHumby,etc)
- Technical mastery across ALL research methodologies (qualitative and quantitative, online and off line, primary and secondary data mining), with a preference for Semiotics and Behavioral Sciences
- Solid analytical skills and strategic thinking with the ability to solve problems and develop creative solutions in complex environment
- Experience with “insights-to-innovation” processes (preferably Design Thinking), and an ability to take complex data and synthesize it into easy to understand and actionable insights
- Exceptional consumer sensitivity, empathy and intuition, combined with understanding of market dynamics and trends (technological, socio-economic, environmental, etc.)
- Strong team player, collaborative and strong leadership skills to lead multi-disciplinary teams.
- Curious, creative and conceptual: strong in ideation processes.
- Excellent written, presentation and oral communication skills (from public speaking to producing a beautiful and clear deck)
- Entrepreneurial start up mindset, self-motivated, confident and out-going.
- Organized and good with time management
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.