When you look at L’Oréal, what do you see? If all you see is lipstick, look again and experience the Freedom to go Beyond the ordinary. That’s the beauty of L’Oréal. We operate in 150 countries on 5 continents. With 36 international brands and 86,000 employees worldwide, we’re well on our way to fulfilling our common purpose: to create beauty that moves the world.
By 2030 we want to capture over another 1 billion consumers around the world. How? By creating cosmetic products which meet the infinite diversity of consumers beauty needs and desires, and always through digital innovation. Not only that, but taking our sustainability goals seriously; moving us to a more inclusive and sustainable society, for every generation.
Our brands, dynamic culture, and always being our own challenger mean that we offer freedom and opportunity you won’t get anywhere else.
If you want the Freedom to go Beyond, we’ll see you at L’Oréal.
Our Corporate Division supports the 4000+ strong workforce in L’Oréal UK & Ireland. It’s a fast-paced and dynamic environment when you’ll have visibility over our 4 Divisions and play an integral role in moving our business forward. The Ecommerce Acceleration Team exists to make L’Oreal UKI a digital first business by 2024 and drive market share across all our brands and divisions.
We embrace our entrepreneurial spirit in everything we do, always challenging ourselves to new ways of doing things. That means looking for innovative solutions, sustainable developments, and having the freedom to go beyond the ordinary.
Our founder Eugène Schueller once said that “a company is not walls and machines, it’s people, people, people”. Joining our corporate teams means joining the world leader in beauty, at the cutting edge of innovation. But above all, it means becoming part of a team of talented and inspiring people.
The Head of Data Protection and Data Protection Officer is responsible for supervising L’Oréal UK Limited’s (UK and Ireland) compliance with data protection and privacy laws and ensuring consistency and alignment with Group data protection and privacy policies and guidelines.
• Report to General Counsel, L’Oréal UK and Ireland.
• Junior Privacy and Digital Legal Counsel
• Lead the Data Privacy Programme for L’Oréal, provide expert advice and support across all business areas on data protection and privacy laws, compliance, and best practice.
• Oversee and support the development and maintenance of training & awareness activities, data protection policies and guidance.
• Ensure effectiveness of Group and local data protection policies and procedures (including assisting in data subject requests, personal data breaches and vendors management), and recommending amendments as applicable.
• Liaise with IT Security to ensure that appropriate security measures/controls are implemented.
• Prepare, adapt and negotiate standard data protection contractual clauses and processes (including outsourcing and data transfer agreements where applicable) with consumers, customers, employees, and suppliers.
• Animate a Data Privacy Committee with key local Executive Leadership Team stakeholders (e.g. Legal, IT, Digital, Marketing, HR), and provide updates on business areas impacted by changing laws and guidance.
• Animate a Privacy Working Group with key peers across IT Security and IT.
• Oversee the management of the Data Privacy Champions comprised of employees across business divisions (with day-to-day
• management led by the Junior Privacy and Digital Legal Counsel).
• Implement, monitor and report on Group and local Governance Programmes.
• Liaise and co-ordinate with the Group DPO, Head of Data Privacy Zone, and Group Data Privacy stakeholders.
• Report regularly to Country Management Committee on the Data Privacy Programme, evolution of regulations and risk exposure.
• Manage and support the Junior Privacy and Digital Legal Counsel.
• Provide operational guidance to the business on data protection law, compliance, and best practice, including in relation to data sharing/ transfers, privacy by design, data breaches, data subject rights, and marketing.
• Monitor documentation of processing activities (with day-to-day management led by the Junior Privacy and Digital Legal Counsel).
• Cooperate with Data Protection Authority and be its registered main point of contact.
• Review and negotiate any data protection contractual clauses with customers and providers.
• Review and assess local projects for data protection risk(s), and make appropriate and pragmatic recommendations to ensure compliance (including supporting on data protection impact assessments).
• Handle personal data breaches in coordination with relevant functions and Group DPO (where applicable).
• Monitor that data subjects’ requests are handled adequately and in a timely manner (including reviewing and updating existing processes).
• 6+ PQE qualified lawyer with substantial experience advising on privacy and data protection in a fast-paced, in-house environment, preferably within a digital/technology/FMCG environment.
• Expert knowledge of UK and EU data protection laws, regulations and practices, as well as experience with practical implementation within a business.
• Confidence and experience to make complex decisions at pace and working with autonomy.
• Good understanding of IT and Digital challenges.
• Strong project management skills.
• Solid communication skills to work in multi-national and lingual environments.
• Ability to influence key stakeholders and manage relationships.
• Build strong networks with, and gain the trust of, colleagues across local and global business by bringing a confident, commercial and solutions-focused mindset.
• CIPP/E or similar certification would be beneficial.
Ambition: You anticipate, think and dream big, demonstrating a high level of aspiration. You are self-driven and show proactivity, especially when seeing problems as challenges. You thrive for exceptional performance.
Judgement: You can balance operational and strategic thinking, challenging the status quo and managing confrontation effectively. You cut quickly through complexity and ambiguity whilst also thinking sustainably and are future-oriented. You reduce complexity to get things done.
Resilience: You always demonstrate purpose and ownership mindset but manage your own energy well. You uphold positivity for others and persist, bouncing back when faced with obstacles. You step back at times and accept limits.
Empathy: You cooperate and network effectively, creating genuine and trustful relationships with diverse people. You are sensitive to beauty and related emotions, always supporting others and showing benevolence. You understand and respect others’ feelings and motives.
Learning Agility: You are a self-motivated learner, showing self-awareness and demonstrating openness and curiosity. You experiment and learn from mistakes and past experiences, always showing courage and stepping out of your comfort zone. You support the development of a learning culture.
We put people development and learning at the heart of our business; we’ll help you master your role, develop your technical expertise and you’ll benefit from exceptional management and leadership programmes. From face-to-face workshops to our global online learning resources, you’re actively encouraged to embed learning into your daily life and are rewarded for continuous improvement. Don’t forget that every employee gets 3 Coursera credits; that means you can get qualifications from over 1000 universities from around the world, with thousands of courses to choose from.
Looking for a good work/life balance? With our new hybrid working scheme, you can take a flexible approach to work as well as benefit from early finishes on Fridays during the summer...so you can enjoy more time with your friends and family.
As any great employer should do, we make sure we look after your financial wellbeing. That’s why we have a great pension plan, profit share scheme and many more incentives to give you the security you deserve. We also put employee health and wellbeing at the front of everything we do; fully training employees as mental health ambassadors to support and educate ourselves further. There’s also the chance to enrol in medical and dental insurance, gym discounts, health check-ups and even yoga and Pilates classes to employees in all of our locations.
Oh, did we mention that as an employee you also get discount sales of up to 70% off throughout the year on our 36 brands? Plus, you also get the option to share that in our Friends and Family sales as well!
How we recruit:
At L’Oréal, we take pride in creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment where everyone is welcome and their contributions are valued. When we recruit, hire, train, promote or engage in any other employment practice, we are committed to being an inclusive employer regardless of race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, socioeconomic status, medical condition or disability, or any other protected status. When we look for talent, we welcome difference - different backgrounds, experiences, personalities and perspectives. The beauty we find in our differences gives us the freedom to go beyond. That’s the beauty of L’Oréal.