Junior Legal Counsel, UK & Ireland Legal Department (Hammersmith)
Competitive salary and benefits package (listed below)
The Legal Department’s mission is: Be a trusted legal advisor to help grow, run, protect and defend the business, acting with integrity, courage and agility to enable the company’s objectives. Our KPIs are: offer cutting edge legal expertise whilst business partnering, high business satisfaction and effective protection of the company’s assets and reputation.
Junior Legal Counsel is a key role within a dynamic, well-established and respected Legal Department within the UK subsidiary of the L’Oréal Group. This is a sought after generalist in-house position with the opportunity to rapidly build a wide range of legal/technical, commercial and interpersonal skills. Under the supervision of the Deputy General Counsel, you will be responsible for partnering with 3 different areas of the UK and Ireland business:
1) selected brands within our Professional Products Division offering professional hair colour, hair care, skin & body care products and services to salon/spa/department store/pharmacy/etailer clients
2) selected functions within our Corporate Division such as CMO, IT & Digital, Purchasing and Operations, with the support of the Senior Legal Counsel who is responsible for all Corporate functions; and
3) our Active Cosmetics Division servicing dermatologist/department store/pharmacy/high street retail/etailer clients with dermo-cosmetic skin care, body care, makeup as well as fragrance products.
The role will include:
• Drafting, reviewing, amending and negotiating varied types of agreements and business communications.
• Advisory work across a broad range of legal topics (i.e. disputes, consumer, advertising, employment, digital, commercial, privacy, IP and brand protection, property, competition, IT, charity sponsorship etc.) with resources such as PLC to refer to and external legal advice to support where necessary.
• Taking ownership for the business units you partner with, which involves other UK & Ireland sites.
• Building good relations with your brands by supporting, in particular, sales, marketing, finance, PR and digital teams to facilitate the execution of marketing assets, commercial negotiations, social influencer and digital campaigns.
• Working closely with the other 7 members of the UK & Ireland legal department on team projects and objectives as well as ensuring the team continues to be aligned to advise all business units with “one voice”.
• Delivering contracts, advisory work, team tools such as templates and guidance, formal and informal training; all in a timely manner to maximize achievement of business strategies.
• Animating and activating your ideas as appropriate, contributing and adhering to the legal department’s plan to drive efficiencies in the delivery of its services and in its value proposition.
• Working closely with other Corporate Functions such as Scientific on regulatory matters relating to products and Corporate Communications on matters with potential impact on the company’s reputation.
• Consulting with our European Legal Department and liaising with our legal counterparts globally as necessary, notably within Europe and the US, by email, phone and attending legal conferences.
• Maintaining the high profile of the legal department throughout the business and encouraging early legal involvement in projects and decision making.
Organised: You love a list and have strong planning and organisation skills – with the ability to re-prioritise as required.
Measured: We want to track the success of our campaigns and initiatives so projects must be able to show ROI.
Accurate: You have the ability to work to a high degree of accuracy and meet deadlines.
Entrepreneurial. Every day, you spot opportunities to drive growth for our brand and our customers, making sure the good name of our brand is always protected.
Creative: Whether it be in overcoming challenges or creating artwork for your channel, creativity is our back bone, and we love new ideas.
Proactive and Open: L’Oreal is for the pioneers, which means embracing new ideas, challenges and change with positivity and a hands on approach.
Teams are the new heroes: There is no better feeling than being part of a successful and dynamic team, so even if you are Superman or Wonder Woman, you recognise that teams are the real heroes.
Only Human: we all make mistakes, but you are not afraid of failure. You learn and show how the experience has helped the business learn for the future and benefitted all.
Ambitious: You crave success and L’Oréal is the ultimate place to achieve your dreams. We will support you all the way and make sure you have the support and development in place to help you succeed.
You. You are real. And you’re true to yourself. We cherish and celebrate diversity so you will feel right at home whoever you are.
• 2 - 4 years post qualification experience, admitted to practice as a UK solicitor (or other similar common law jurisdiction).
• High quality, relevant experience in private practice and/or in-house.
• Track record of striving for professional excellence with robust attention to detail essential.
• Ability to quickly digest information and apply knowledge in a practical and pragmatic way.
• Solid, clear and concise (written & verbal) communication skills (including presentation skills appropriate to PQE level) with the ability to distil complexity into simplicity essential.
• Extremely organised with excellent problem solving and prioritisation skills to resolve issues/questions efficiently.
• Resilient and calm under pressure to manage competing needs in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
• Expertise in IT & Digital law sought after and strongly preferred.
• User experience and implementation of legal technology solutions (contract management systems, data metrics trackers, chatbots, etc.) an advantage.
• Keen interest in digital marketing and/or legal tech developments an advantage.
• Active networker by participating in expert/industry groups would make a candidate stand out.
• Ability to think ‘big’, of solutions outside the box, of new concepts and drive projects forward to completion desired.
• Good generalist understanding and expertise across at least some of the different legal topics called out in the ‘You Will’ section above required.
• Commercial acumen, motivated by objectives, thrive with cultural changes .
• A positive ‘can do’, collaborative mind set.
• Interest in the beauty industry, consumer focus, product appreciation and an eye for aesthetics helpful.
• Good working knowledge or fluency in French (or other language) may be helpful
• 25 day holiday with the option to buy and sell days
• Private Medical Cover
• Work Smart – ability to work from home and flex hours when needed
• Free weekly yoga class in our Head Office
• Discounted Gym Memberships
• Subsidised Restaurants
• Summer Fridays – 3pm finish during the summer months
• Giving Back – one paid volunteer day
• Discounted onsite hair and beauty treatments