The role of Legal Counsel is a key role within the North Asia Zone of the L’Oréal Group, the world number one beauty company. Working at the heart of a busy and well respected legal team, you will liaise with the international legal function based in Paris as well as the local legal teams across the zone. You will be responsible for providing timely, accurate and legally compliant advice to L’Oréal operations for the zone in line with business objectives.
The Legal Counsel will work on all aspects of the business, including the commercial, scientific and technical-regulatory, marketing, purchasing, finance, market research, consumer advisory, communications, information technology and data privacy.
The role reports to the Legal Director for L’Oréal North Asia Zone.
Based in Shanghai, China, the role promises a varied, fast-paced commercial law experience with the opportunity to develop a wide range of legal experience and develop rapidly.
Key job accountabilities
· Negotiating, reviewing and drafting all types of contracts and legal documents
· Advising the operational and functional departments in all areas of law (commercial, competition, charity, corporate, communications, IP, and property)
· Increasing operational and functional departments’ awareness of Group best practices
· Advising on competition law and supporting the team l in ensuring compliance.
· Training the business on relevant aspects of the law
· Maintaining the existing high profile of the legal team throughout the business and encouraging active legal involvement in operational decision making;
· For projects, providing a high level of commercial input and overall project management in particular of the other central functions and external advisers.
· Liaising with counterparts in the Paris based corporate centre and local legal teams across the zone
This is a great opportunity for a mid-level legal professional already working in-house or still in private practice ideally in a corporate or commercial department to strengthen their IT and data privacy expertise and develop their knowledge and experience in a broad and varied in-house role presenting a wide range of challenges. In a legal function which is seen as a real partner to the business, this is a great chance to gain exposure to practical challenges requiring both legal knowledge and commercial acumen.
The network you would work with
Internally in Shanghai, HQ of North Asia Zone, you will work closely with the commercial, scientific and technical-regulatory, marketing, purchasing, finance, market research, consumer advisory and communications and PR teams. Externally you will have close relationship with L’Oréal’s International legal function and local legal teams in North Asia.
Essential Qualifications and Skills required
· Admitted to practice law (preferably in any North Asia jurisdictions) with bachelor’s degree in law
· 6+ years of counsel experience (in-house counsel experience with an MNC is an advantage)
· Strong demonstrable and relevant track record of advising on legal issues
· Excellent communication (written and spoken), negotiation and presentational skills
· Strategic thinker with ability to move effortlessly between strategy, implementation and tactical opportunities
· Ability to rapidly digest and distil complex issues and formulate strategy / responses
· Ability to establish, exploit and influence effective networks at all levels
· Confident, persuasive individual capable of managing and resolving difficult situations
· Fluency in both written and spoken Mandarin and English. Knowledge or fluency in any Japanese, Korean or French is an advantage