For more than a hundred years, L’Oréal believes that beauty needs Science. In a world now transformed by digital technology and the emergence of new scientific Domains, we are confident in our ability to turn these opportunities into major innovations, closely linked to the new consumer expectations all over the world. Science & Technology are allowing us to invent safe, trustable, sustainable & responsible beauty products and experiences that will change people’s lives.
L’Oréal R&I has continuously invested upstream in its research with a high level of ambition. Our 3800 L'Oréal R&I people are talented and highly skilled, located in major markets, working in a cooperative way, opened to the world.
As the Manager for the Analytical Chemistry division you will provide strategic leadership to ensure we provide the business with the highest quality data and insights needed to further the Hair business. You will be responsible for management and development of the Hair analytical team to support the attainment of corporate goals.
We are looking for a talented individual to lead our analytical Hair team in Clark, New Jersey!
You Will . . .
- Provides strategic leadership in support and execution of testing strategies across all brands for Hair (Hair Care, Hair Color, and Styling).
- Manage the daily functional work of a team of analytical chemists; assess teams needs and review with supervisor; defines and target specific and measurable goals for the team; assign work in accordance with business priority and individual capability.
- Be a positive role model for the team and provide guidance, coaching, and mentorship to less experienced team members.
- Champion innovation and leads the way to take the analytical Hair program to the next level. Identify innovation opportunity areas and creates a plan on how to implement, bring those to live, and promote/communicates benefits with our business partners.
- Manage multiple priorities and work under tight deadlines.
- Plan, supervise, and assist analytical chemists in conducting analyses of new and existing products/materials.
- Represents the voice of the analytical department when engaged in product development activities. Collaborate closely with our brand partners in support of product development, to drive company strategy and initiatives to completion.
- Ability to manage, motivate and develop individual team members. Track’s individuals career development and progress toward goals, continuously thriving to raise the skills of the staff members.
- Create an open & collaborative environment fostering team communication.
- Identify new consumer trends, technologies, and capabilities to provide unsurpassed support to our Hair partners.
- Review and prioritize projects and associated work that support Hair objectives.
- Ability to convey ideas, and design experiments to test them to confirm project technical feasibility.
- Provides information to partners and upper management by preparing analyses, reports, and recommendations.
- Maintains knowledge, understanding, and adheres to safety policies, local/international regulations & practices, and company policies.
- Lead internal projects and modules within complex, cross-functional initiatives. Drives problem-solving and provides technically sound recommendations for management consideration.
- Actively participate in L’Oréal’s international analytical technical communities
You Have . . .
- A Ph.D. in Chemistry with a focus on Analytical Chemistry is required.
- 6+ years of experience as an analytical lab manager/team leader
- Experience and experimental background in using mass spectrometry (LC-MS, GC-MS) to solve challenging, technical problems and develop novel methods/assays preferred
- Experience in hair, fibers, fabrics, or textiles is preferred
- Experience in the cosmetics/personal care industry is preferred
- Experience using GC-FID, LC-UV, GPC, and Amino Acid Analyzers desired
- Hair product development, claims support, and knowledge around Hair analytical testing methodologies are a plus.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States on a permanent, ongoing basis, without the need for sponsorship now or in the future
- Experience managing large projects within a complex matrixed organization. Highly effective organizational planning skills and project management of multiple initiatives is required.
- Familiarity with testing methodology and procedures and how these can be creatively utilized to develop tangible results to support our business partner's needs.
- Experience in managing interactions with brand, safety, and regulatory functions.
- Ability to act decisively and effectively deal with change
- Experience working in a fast-paced and high intensity environment.
- Ability to collaborate with cross-functional stakeholders to gather consensus and alignment.
- Strong problem-solving skills ranging from conceptualization to implementation.
- Strong leadership and decision-making skills.
- Ability to take calculated risks, be proactive and self-directed.
- Strong analytical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Ability to motivate others and work collaboratively with multiple internal and external stakeholders
- Track record of Hair/Fiber/Textile innovation and capability building within an analytical laboratory setting.
- Visionary - Helps shape the short & long-term strategy and technology choices for the hair analytical department.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with an emphasis on presenting scientific data to technical and non-technical audiences
- Excellent knowledge of computer systems and software.
You Are . . .
- A strong leader and a team player
- Someone who is innovative and resourceful in problem solving technical challenges
- Someone who can achieve results without compromising integrity
- Someone who has a scientific curiosity and passion for consumer products
- Someone with passion to lead a highly skilled team
- Creative and self-motivated
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application for a recognized disability under applicable law, please email [email protected]. Please note this email will only respond to specific requests for assistance completing the application as a request for accommodation for a disability. All others will not be considered.