Principal Engineer, Technology Evaluation & Development
The Principal Engineer is a senior technical role for the Pre-Development innovation function for high volume consumer beauty devices. Pre-Development is charged with internal and external ideation with broad, systematic sourcing of innovation, technical and business analysis of identified product opportunities, down-selection, proof of performance, and functional requirement specification. The team collaborates globally (Paris, New York, Tokyo, Seoul, and other locations) with upstream partners (Advanced Research, Applied Research, and Product Development Marketing) and with downstream partners (Product Development Engineering, Operations, and Brand Marketing) to ensure a robust, high market potential pipeline ready to transfer to development.
The Principal Engineer supplies technical expertise at a systems level, including application areas of cleansing, skincare, anti-aging, haircare, make-up, and others. Additionally, they supply business acumen required to analyze and evaluate product opportunities, and they have a solid understanding of intellectual property, medical / regulatory and other issues that may contribute to or detract from a potential product’s success.
The ideal candidate will have a broad technical background, able to converse knowledgably on subjects from human physiology and microbiology to principles of engineering to applied physics. They will demonstrate a deep technical and intellectual curiosity and a passion for advancing the problem in front of them. They will be motivated to stand up for their thoughts and beliefs, and to constructively and aggressively challenge assumptions as a means of arriving at stronger, more successful products. They will demonstrate a passion for agile development and prototyping, while understanding that an hour at the library can save a month in the laboratory. They will be flexible and adaptable, entrepreneurial in spirit, and will value results over circumstances.
Reports to the Assistant Vice President for Pre-Development Systems Engineering.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Contribute to the creation of strong pipeline of new devices, product extensions, and corresponding formulations and applicators ready for development.
- Lead exploratory initiatives to critically evaluate and modify product opportunities, maintaining a high bar through aggressive down-selection.
- Collaboratively execute the product innovation agenda, including leading efforts to translate market needs to product concepts, identifying suitable technologies, and defining and testing critical parameters for successful products.
- Foster open innovation with academia, start-ups, and other industry.
- Evaluate and transform Applied Research ideas into proven concepts ready for development and commercialization.
- Support technology road mapping through regular communication and collaboration with Advanced and Applied Research.
- Move technology from applied research state to development state, including specifying key technical parameters, defining system requirements, developing viable product concepts, and ensuring in vivo proof-of-concept under realistic conditions.
- Actively contribute to invention and intellectual property creation.
- Evaluate patents and intellectual property IP landscape in devices to find unique opportunity areas and ensure our right to practice.
- Degree in Mechanical, Electrical, or Systems Engineering, or related fields. Advanced degree highly desirable.
- Technical expertise and experience in product evaluation, innovation and development. Expertise in entrepreneurial evaluation of opportunities a strong plus. 10+ years’ experience post undergraduate education.
- Demonstrated capability in innovation, including ideation, patents, and bring-to-market success.
- Excellent communication (verbal, written) and interpersonal relationship-building skills for collaboration with senior marketing and R&D collaborators and vendors.
- Desirable to have competency in engineering, analytic, and project management software tools and methodologies.
- Ability and desire to travel 10-20% of the time.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.