Position Title: Principal Scientist, Biotechnology & Biomanufacturing Ingredients Innovation Advanced Research
Location: Clark, New Jersey (Hybrid)
Department: Advanced Research, Ingredients Innovation
"Do you like working in Advanced Research team, engage with global raw material suppliers, and contribute to innovation and new product development?”
Then L'Oréal Research & Innovation might be exactly the place you have always been looking for!
For more than one hundred years, L’Oréal believes that beauty needs Science. In a world now transformed by digital technology and the emergence of new scientific domains, we are confident in our ability to turn these opportunities into major innovations, closely linked to the new consumer expectations all over the world. Science & Technology are allowing us to invent safe, trustable, sustainable & responsible beauty products and experiences that will change people’s lives.
L’Oréal Research & Innovation (R&I) has continuously invested upstream in its research with a high level of ambition. Our 4,100 L'Oréal R&I people are talented and highly skilled, located in major markets, working in a cooperative way, open to the world. L’Oréal, Research & Innovation is a vast, multidisciplinary, scientific community working in more than 30 specialized fields, spread out across the world in 21 research centers across 6 regional hubs, 14 evaluation centers, and 49 scientific and regulatory departments. Our employees represent over 60 nationalities and are united for one passion: to invent and perfect innovative, high-performance products for the well-being of all across the world.
To discover more on our scientific and technical functions at L'Oréal Research & Innovation, please check out our website
The Advanced Research Ingredients Innovation team works with global team and companies to lead scouting efforts of new innovative ingredients with disruptive performance. They support L’Oreal for the Future objectives of improving the environmental and social impact of L’Oreal Portfolio of raw materials.
We are looking for Principal Scientist to onboard on this thrilling adventure.
As a Principal Scientist in our Ingredients Innovation team, your main responsibilities are:
- Build and grow America-based Green Science external partners ecosystem strategically, to continuously improve the L’Oréal raw materials portfolio.
- Lead the Green Science frontier to deliver disruptive innovation and support L’Oreal for the Future objective.
- Lead as key technical contact and relationship owner of America-based Green Science partners to introduce new technology to Research and Development community for evaluation and collaboration.
- Lead and manage collaborative projects between external partners and internal laboratories to support concepts development and transformation.
- Function as project leader to build project timelines, milestones, and deliverables, and put contracts in place through coordination with legal and business development team.
- Cultivate partnerships and exchanges with internal and external innovation partners by compiling meeting minutes, and technical reports
- Lead efforts to map, scout, identify and assess new technology and Green Science partners to support R&I innovation needs of disruptive performance.
- Perform intellectual properties scanning, analysis and technical due diligence to identify relevant external partners supporting Green Science ingredients innovation needs
- Collaborate with local and global team as a technical expert in matters pertaining to Synthetic Biology and Green Science Transformation.
- Perform technical risk assessment of potential partners with business development team.
- Lead the due diligence activities of scouting, identification, evaluation, and valorization to introduce novel ingredients and technologies to the L’Oreal research labs and other functional team.
- Lead and manage collaborative projects between collaboration partners and internal R&I team to support concepts development and evaluation.
- Strategically develop relationships with internal and external partners to enrich Green Science partners ecosystem.
- Develop and lead platform/project roadmaps with technical pathways, milestones, timelines, and deliverable.
- Lead a multidisciplinary team of professionals, including other biologists, engineers, and chemists, across scientific and technical pursuits, to effectively drive the project forward with tangible milestones and deliverables.
- Manage multiple project tasks and priorities concurrently
- Critical thinking and decision making skills to navigate complexed network and successfully drive projects forward.
- Effectively work with business development team to provide technical risk assessment of partnership opportunity.
- Represent the firm externally at academic and industry conferences as well as speaking engagements.
- Approximately 5% travel.
To Succeed in this Position, You Have:
- Advanced technical degree (M.S. or Ph.D) in Biology, Molecular Biology, Biomedical Engineering, Chemistry, Material Sciences/ Engineering, Chemical Engineering is required
- 10+ years industry experience required, preferably in biotech, pharma, food, chemical, or consumer products sectors.
- Experience in performing technology scouting, IP mapping, research, innovation, benchmarking is a plus
- Proven track record of creativity combined with the ability to develop novel technologies, high throughput assays and screening methods.
- Strong passion, awareness, and familiarity with emerging technology paradigms (ex: synthetic biology and biomanufacturing)
- Strong experience in project management and filing USPTO patents.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills, and ability to manage multiple projects and priorities concurrently, detail-oriented, proactive and self-motivated
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, highly matrixed environment while meeting established deadlines
- Strong aptitude for learning and working with a broad range of scientific and innovative disciplines
- Experience in the personal care industry is a plus.
- Knowledge of French is a plus.
- Authorization to work in the United States on a full-time, permanent, ongoing basis without the need for legal sponsorship now or in the future (required)
What's In It For You:
- Corporate Short Term Incentives (Corporate Profit Sharing Bonus, Individual Performance Bonus)
- Competitive Benefit Package (Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K, Pension Plan)
- Hybrid Work Policy (Up to 2 Days per week Work from Home)
- Flexible Time Off (Paid Company Holidays, Paid Vacation, Vacation Buy Program, Volunteer Time, Summer Fridays & More!)
- Access to Company Perks (VIP Access to L’Oréal’s Internal Shop for Discounted Products)
- Learning & Development Opportunities (Unlimited Access to E-learnings, Lunch & Learn Sessions, Mentorship Programs, & More!)
- Employee Resource Groups (Think Tanks and Innovation Squads)
- Access to Mental Health & Wellness Programs
Don’t meet every single requirement? At L'Oréal, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and innovative workplace. If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with the qualifications listed in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways! You may just be the right candidate for this or other roles!
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application for a recognized disability under applicable law, please email [email protected]. Please note this email will only respond to specific requests for assistance completing the application as a request for accommodation for a disability. All others will not be considered.