Are you looking to work with leading color scientists on the development of new and exciting color trends across a variety of product categories?
Then L'Oréal Research & Innovation (R&I) might be exactly the place you have always been looking for!
For more than one hundred years, L’Oréal believes that Beauty needs Science. In a world now transformed by digital technology and the emergence of new scientific Domains, we are confident in our ability to turn these opportunities into major innovations, closely linked to the new consumer expectations all over the world. Science & Technology are allowing us to invent safe, dependable, sustainable & responsible beauty products and experiences that will change people’s lives. L’Oréal Research and Innovation has continuously invested upstream in its research with a high level of ambition. Our 3800+ L'Oréal R&I people are talented and highly skilled, located in major markets, working in a cooperative way, opened to the world.
Inside L’Oréal’s Research & Innovation Division, Development is responsible for working closely with our over 35 brands to adapt and innovate formulations into new and exciting products based on consumer and marketing insights. Development of great products requires building strong, international collaborations across different functions to ensure that products are seen from inception to officialization for our local and global launch deadlines.
We are currently seeking a talented and innovative Senior Chemist to join our Development department located at our Clark, New Jersey facility for Research and Innovation. As a part of our Color Laboratory you will be a part of a team that leads the expansion of transversal color expertise in the US in Makeup.
You Will . . .
- Lead the co-creation of new color trends by catching and creating transversal color trends for makeup in collaboration with all relevant partners (Brand Marketing Research Teams, Trend Agencies, Color Community, Fast Beauty Innovation).
- Develop the strategy for Color in the US aligned with local (development labs including Multi-Cultural Beauty and Fast Beauty) and global objectives.
- Lead the creation and ensure the best performing and most relevant color ranges for all launched products based upon the analysis and understanding of the US market.
- Understand our main competitor’s strategy in Color. Synthesize the competitive landscape surrounding all categories and identify areas of opportunity.
- Analyze the shade offer of Maybelline and other US lead brands in order to be able to propose ideal shade ranges in collaboration with the makeup category labs and the global Color Experts.
- Partner with the global color experts to assess shade range relevancy across multiple zones as needed.
- Follow competition in collaboration and connection with the makeup categories labs.
- Collaborate actively in the trend detection process (ie scouting of the emerging trends - fashion, opinion leaders, professional cosmetics exhibitions, & via the web, blogs, Instagram, etc).
- Participate in the collaboration with trends agencies (ex. BeautyStream).
- Follow and listen to our brands (from NY or LA) for creative inspiration and concept development.
- Innovate by bringing new colors and effects performances in collaboration with our raw material suppliers and the International Raw Materials Team.
- Participate in upstream collaborations with vendors.
- Attend supplier / International Raw Materials Team presentations and identify raw materials and technologies suitable for product development
You Have . . .
- A minimum of a completed Bachelor's degree in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Biochemistry or related field, is required.
- A strong technical color expertise with the ability to distinguish and recognize differences in shade - Must be able to pass the Munsell test and understand L*a*b values.
- 3-5 years’ of progressive, scientific experience in the cosmetics industry, with a focus in formulation and/or creation of color cosmetics required. Preference for someone with a hybrid R&D/Product Development background.
- An established self-awareness, in terms of understanding your own culture, identity, biases, prejudices, power privilege, and stereotypes
You Are . . .
- Someone with a keen understanding of the cosmetic market and the evolution of shade trends.
- Someone with both scientific and artistic sensibilities.
- Someone who can prioritize, handle multiple projects, and work with various groups within a matrix organization.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application for a recognized disability under applicable law, please email [email protected]
. Please note this email will only respond to specific requests for assistance completing the application as a request for accommodation for a disability. All others will not be considered.