Position Title: Senior Chemist II, Makeup Development, Fast Beauty Innovation
Location: Clark, New Jersey
Department: Makeup Development
Reports Into: Assistant Vice President, Makeup Development
For more than one hundred years, L’Oréal believes that beauty needs Science. In a world now transformed by digital technology and the emergence of new scientific domains, we are confident in our ability to turn these opportunities into major innovations, closely linked to the new consumer expectations all over the world. Science & Technology are allowing us to invent safe, trustable, sustainable & responsible beauty products and experiences that will change people’s lives.
L’Oréal Research & Innovation (R&I) has continuously invested upstream in its research with a high level of ambition. Our 4,100 L'Oréal R&I people are talented and highly skilled, located in major markets, working in a cooperative way, open to the world. L’Oréal, Research & Innovation is a vast, multidisciplinary, scientific community working in more than 30 specialized fields, spread out across the world in 21 research centers across 6 regional hubs, 14 evaluation centers, and 49 scientific and regulatory departments. Our employees represent over 60 nationalities and are united for one passion: to invent and perfect innovative, high-performance products for the well-being of all across the world.
To discover more on our scientific and technical functions at L'Oréal Research & Innovation, please check out our website
We are seeking a Senior Chemist II to join Fast Beauty Innovation Makeup Development in our Clark, NJ facility for Research & Innovation. This role is responsible for hands on creation of cross-category fast beauty innovations applying the concepts of Assembly, Integration, and Fine Tuning to formulate smartly to create innovation with a Time to Market obsession.
As a Senior Chemist II in our Fast Beauty Innovation Makeup Development Team, your main responsibilities are:
- Anticipating and mitigating project risk
- Securing the ‘ready to go’ status and fast transformation of our launches
- Monitor and ensure the quality of all new products in terms of: Stability, Compatibility, Microbiology, Safety, Regulatory, and Right to Market
- Perform all relevant formula related testing.
- Ensure product performance is at the level or superior to key competition and is answering to market and consumer insights. Build testing plans and create demos to help demonstrate formula relevance and performance.
- Collaborate actively in the trend detection process (ie scouting and detecting of the emerging trends - fashion, opinion leader and competition / professional cosmetics exhibition - & via the web, via the blogs, Instagram, etc). Participate in the collaboration with trends agencies (such as BeautyStreams, WGSN, etc). Follow and listen to our brands (from NY or LA) for creative inspiration and concept development.
- Follow competition in collaboration and connection with the Makeup category labs. Understand the competitive landscape surrounding all categories and identify areas of opportunity in terms of: Performance, Color & Effect, New Textures/Sensorial Cues, and Packaging
- Have an awareness of the category roadmaps and pipeline innovations. Be able to position and map them vs our own portfolio.
- Collaborate strongly with category labs: work side by side in the creation process, taking advantage of their knowledge and expertise.
- In partnership with our cross-functional partners in Operations, associate fast beauty innovations with a full picture of timing, PRI and quantities.
To Succeed in this Position, You Have:
- A completed Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry or related field is required. Masters or PhD is a plus.
- Minimum of 5+ years’ experience in the cosmetics industry is required. Candidate must have strong expertise of cross-category makeup/color cosmetic formulation (Eye, Lip, & Face) - ideally with vendor experience.
- Color cosmetics experience including pigmented formulas and shade matching strongly preferred. May be assessed via a Munsell Color Test.
- Ideal candidate will display creativity but also be pragmatic and will know how to transfer an idea / a vision into a product.
- Must be able to prioritize, handle multiple projects, and work with various groups within a matrix organization. Must have strong organizational and coordination skills.
- Must be adept at giving technical presentations to large groups of professionals.
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal skills
- Must be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time, permanent, ongoing basis, without the need for legal sponsorship now or in the future.
What's In It For You:
- Corporate Short-Term Incentives (Corporate Profit-Sharing Bonus, Individual Performance Bonuses based on level)
- Competitive Benefit Package (Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K, Pension Plan)
- Flexible Time Off (Paid Company Holidays, Paid Vacation, Vacation Buy Program, Volunteer Time, Summer Fridays & More!)
- Access to Company Perks (VIP Access to L’Oréal’s Internal Shop for Discounted Products)
- Learning & Development Opportunities (Unlimited Access to E-learnings, Lunch & Learn Sessions, Mentorship Programs, & More!)
- Employee Resource Groups (Think Tanks and Innovation Squads)
- Access to Mental Health & Wellness Programs
Don’t meet every single requirement? At L'Oréal, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and innovative workplace. If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with the qualifications listed in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways! You may just be the right candidate for this or other roles!
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application for a recognized disability under applicable law, please ema. Please note this email will only respond to specific requests for assistance completing the application as a request for accommodation for a disability. All others will not be considered.
Our Safe Together Plan: Your safety is our highest priority. We will proceed with caution and adhere to enhanced protection standards to ensure our sites are safe for all employees. We must all operate with the shared responsibility for each other’s health & safety in mind.