Do you like evaluating the safety of consumer products, as well as testing and documenting raw materials and developed finished products?
Then L'Oréal Research & Innovation might be exactly the place you have always been looking for!
For more than one hundred years, L’Oréal believes that beauty needs Science. In a world now transformed by digital technology and the emergence of new scientific Domains, we are confident in our ability to turn these opportunities into major innovations, closely linked to the new consumer expectations all over the world. Science & Technology are allowing us to invent safe, trustable, sustainable & responsible beauty products and experiences that will change people’s lives. L’Oréal R&I has continuously invested upstream in its research with a high level of ambition. Our 3800 L'Oréal R&I people are talented and highly skilled, located in major markets, working in a cooperative way, opened to the world.
Product Safety is responsible for the safety evaluation, testing and documentation of raw materials and finished products that are developed, or acquired by L’Oréal USA, in compliance with global regulations and guidelines. This position requires an in-depth working knowledge of toxicology and safety risk assessment principles for the review and compliance of the safety of raw materials and finished products as well as the support of claims related to product safety.
If you want to learn more about our commitment to Consumer Safety, take a look inside our products! https://inside-our-products.loreal.com/
L’Oreal USA is currently seeking a talented and innovative Senior Scientist II to join our Product Safety department located at our Clark, NJ facility.
- Conduct robust safety assessments that meet global regulations on raw materials and finished formulations for a category of products (e.g. Skin, Hair, Make-up or Fragrance) including OTC products
- Evaluate ingredients, raw materials and formulations for internal and external labs based on risk assessments conducted and communicate safety approvals through product specific meetings
- Assist with compiling and reviewing of Cosmetic Safety Reports for compliance with EU and other global regulations
- Interact with various groups within Safety, Regulatory and Claims (SRC), to ensure sufficient supporting data (in vitro and/or clinical safety studies) is developed and executed to substantiate safety of raw materials and finished formulations
- Conduct literature searches as needed to generate robust safety assessments
- Proactively participate in discussions on internal safety positions
- Represent Product Safety at product development meetings to provide safety support of new and existing product development
- Be expected to effectively communicate across the organization to provide clear recommendations on various safety issues to both scientific and non-scientific audiences
- Completed a Ph.D. in Pharmacology/Toxicology or closely related field with 3+ years of experience in cosmetics/personal care/consumer healthcare industries
- Experience in general toxicology concepts, especially skin/eye irritation, skin sensitization, genotoxicity and phototoxicity
- Extensive knowledge and proficiency in risk assessment principles/practices are essential
- Excellent communication (verbal, written) and interpersonal skills required
- Experience working with OTC products
- Solid organizational skills and flexibility to manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced highly matrixed environment while meeting established deadlines
- Demonstrated skills in analyzing, reporting and documenting information with attention to detail
- The ability to work independently in a matrix environment both as a team member and as a leader
- Able to make decisions independently and assess when escalation is appropriate.
- Able to analyze and summarize complex safety-related issues and initiatives for key business target audiences.
- Fully proficient in English, additional Spanish or French language skills a plus
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application for a recognized disability under applicable law, please email [email protected]
. Please note this email will only respond to specific requests for assistance completing the application as a request for accommodation for a disability. All others will not be considered.