I. MAJOR FUNCTION
Product Safety is responsible for the safety evaluation, testing and documentation of raw materials and finished formulations developed by, or acquired by L’Oreal USA, in compliance with global regulations and guidelines. The safety testing program consists of in-vitro as well as clinical test methodologies. This is a highly technical position that will require in-depth working knowledge of toxicology and safety risk assessment principles and practices with experience in problem solving and execution of tasks related to approval of raw materials and finished formulations prior to market launch.
II. PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Conduct robust safety assessments that meet global regulations on raw materials and finished formulations for a category of products (e.g. Skin, Hair, Make-up or Fragrance) including OTC products
- Evaluation of raw materials and formulations for internal and external labs based on risk assessments conducted and communicate safety approvals through product specific meetings
- Assist with compiling and reviewing of Cosmetic Safety Reports for compliance with EU and other global regulations
- Interact with various groups within Safety, Regulatory and Claims (SRC), to ensure sufficient supporting data (in vitro and/or clinical safety studies) is developed and executed to substantiate safety of raw materials and finished formulations
- Conduct literature searches as needed to generate robust safety assessments of raw materials
- Proactively participate in discussions on internal safety positions
- Represent Product Safety at product development meetings to provide safety support of new and existing product development
- Expected to be an effective communicator across the organization to provide clear recommendations on various safety issues to both scientific and non-scientific audiences
III. JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Ph.D. in Pharmacology/Toxicology or closely related field
- > 3 years of experience in cosmetics/personal care/consumer healthcare industries
- D.A.B.T. certification is preferred
- Expertise in general toxicology concepts, especially skin/eye irritation, skin sensitization, genotoxicity as and phototoxicity
- Extensive knowledge and proficiency in risk assessment principles and practices are essential
- Excellent communication (verbal, written) and interpersonal skills required
- Well organized and flexible with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced highly matrixed environment while meeting established deadlines
- Demonstrated skills in analyzing, reporting and documenting information with attention to detail
- Ability to work independently in a matrix environment both as a team member and as a leader
Appropriate and commensurate with the increasing safety demands of the Americas Region (North America, Central America and South America).
Operates under general supervision with the ability to make decisions independently and assess when escalation is appropriate. Responsible for the product evaluation for the Americas Region and will collaborate with international colleagues to ensure global consistency, efficiency, and harmonization.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application for a recognized disability under applicable law, please email USApplicationAccommodation@support.lorealusa.com
. Please note this email will only respond to specific requests for assistance completing the application as a request for accommodation for a disability. All others will not be considered.