L’Oréal, the world leader in cosmetics, is synonymous with beauty, innovation and scientific excellence in more than 130 countries. As the leader in the beauty industry, our success is a direct result of our unequaled employees. L’Oréal is always looking for talented and ambitious minds to help build our beauty into something even better. Leadership also means innovation and quality. We offer the most technologically advanced products to our customers and a portfolio of brands in every product category. L’Oréal USA fully encompasses all aspects of beauty for everyone, everywhere.
As a Sr. Formulation Chemist in the Hair Care Lab, you will be responsible for creative and technical aspects of specific product development categories or technologies for pre-development projects. You’ll maintain awareness of scientific literature, patents, raw material technology, processing methodology, and marketing/consumer trends required to perform innovative product development assignments in an efficient manner. Oversee a safe and orderly laboratory environment.
Key Job Accountabilities
- Under minimal supervision, completes tasks as directed. Adheres to set objectives and standards. Independently completes Development and Pre-development projects from inception to Officialization or to transfer to Development, meeting deadlines, with support from supervisor as needed. Investigates/researches problems/issues.
- Develops and refines formulas; performs product stability on all formulas and resolves stability issues.
- Monitors the quality and conformity of formulas.
- May handle multiple basic projects simultaneously.
- Identifies raw materials and technologies suitable for product development. For Pre-Development, under minimal supervision, works with Raw material vendors and internal Raw Materials department.
- Identifies raw materials and technologies suitable for product development.
- Demonstrates creativity and resourcefulness in proactively identifying and proposing solutions to issues that may arise during product development or in transfer to manufacturing.
- May interface with technical support groups including marketing, analytical, demi-grand and manufacturing.
- Plans and executes appropriate technology or raw material in-vitro or in-vivo validation, working with Supervisor as needed.
- Prepares reports/summaries/presentations summarizing the work.
- Shares information with Development team when project is ready for transfer, and helps troubleshoot if needed.
- Optimizes processes and formulation to address formulation, performance, or scale-up concerns.
- Intermediate knowledge in relevant scientific and technical field/métier
- Basic knowledge of product innovation and development processes
- Excellent communication skills (oral, written and presentation)
- Intermediate formulation, analytical, problem solving, and project management skills
- Knowledgeable of all applicable IT and R&I laboratory systems
- BS degree in science required plus 5+ years’ experience preferably in cosmetics/consumer product industry.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Must be legally eligible to work in the US on a long-term basis.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.