L’Oréal, the world leader in cosmetics, is synonymous with beauty, innovation and scientific excellence in more than 130 countries. As the leader in the beauty industry, our success is a direct result of our unequaled employees. L’Oréal is always looking for talented and ambitious minds to help build our beauty into something even better. Leadership also means innovation and quality. We offer the most technologically advanced products to our customers and a portfolio of brands in every product category. L’Oréal USA fully encompasses all aspects of beauty for everyone, everywhere.
The individual will be responsible for preparing patent applications and other submissions to the US Patent Office as well as for overseeing the work of outside counsel. This individual will also be conducting art searches and making or assisting with patentability and freedom to market assessments. The individual will also be a key intermediary between the scientists, the patent attorneys and the DIPI International Department of Intellectual Property representatives in France and will keep track of patent disclosures and decisions regarding extensions outside the US and maintenance of US-originated applications.
- Independently prepares and prosecutes US patent applications through all stages to either issuance or abandonment. Oversees outside counsel handling US and foreign patent prosecution of US-based inventions.
- Conducts, reviews and analyzes state-of-the-art searches and assesses patentability of invention disclosures in view of search results, determines scope of inventions and with senior patent staff assists in development of a patent strategy.
- Interacts with the formulation laboratories, applied and advanced research groups, documentalist groups, ‘ingenieurs” in DIPI France, and senior patent staff in the US and coordinates and keeps track of exchanges between these groups regarding: a) technical submissions (e.g. Notes of Intent (NOI), Technical Notes (TN) and Diamond Evaluations (DM)); and b) decisions regarding extension/maintenance/national phase filing/abandonment of US-originated applications (US and foreign), in the assigned métiers
- Conducts, reviews and analyzes state-of-the-art searches, and together with senior patent staff, assesses freedom to use raw materials and market final formulas (“right to market assessments” (RTM)).
- Assists in preparing opinions on validity and infringement under the supervision of senior patent staff.
- Assists in due diligence searches and analysis.
- Independently trains scientists on IP legal principles, RTM assessments and procedures, as well as the various IP –related forms and processes
- Keeps abreast of the Company’s activities in those areas of technology assigned to this position.
- MS in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering or similar degree, with 3-5 year’s of experience as a practicing patent agent
- Experienced in searching scientific, including patent, literature
- Experienced in analyzing patents/applications
- Admitted to practice before the US Patent Office
- Background in consumer products a plus
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.