L’Oréal, the world leader in cosmetics, is synonymous with beauty, innovation and scientific excellence in more than 130 countries. As the leader in the beauty industry, our success is a direct result of our unequaled employees. L’Oréal is always looking for talented and ambitious minds to help build our beauty into something even better. Leadership also means innovation and quality. We offer the most technologically advanced products to our customers and a portfolio of brands in every product category. L’Oréal USA fully encompasses all aspects of beauty for everyone, everywhere.
Physical Chemistry and Transversal – APPLIED RESEARCH
Working in a team-oriented environment to identify new technology with potential benefits and translate the technology into cosmetic products. Understand the physical structure/property/function relationships of raw materials and their interaction in complex formulations as well as physical properties of their deposits on skin, nails, and hair. Develop innovative technology platforms for cosmetic applications in make-up, skin and hair with clear consumer perceivable benefits.
II. PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Have a good understanding of the structure-property relationship of the selective materials in simple and complex systems to fully explore the potential applications and benefits of the raw materials.
- Utilize physical characterization to understand the interaction mechanism of complex fluids and their deposits on relevant substrates (Hair fibers, Skin, Nails) from formulations.
- Work closely with Innovative Raw Materials and Open Innovation Department and suppliers to identify new raw materials and new technology with potential benefits for cosmetic applications.
- Put in place a patent strategy that will safeguard the formula and technology invented.
- Support applied research, pre-development and development labs for understanding and solving technical problems.
- Serve as internal expert on data interpretation, applications and instrumentation
- Communicate and present the technology and new prototypes to senior managers.
- Propose and demonstrate new technology concepts for Hair/Skin/Make-Up benefits
- Manage all the instruments in the Applied Research lab.
- DESIRABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- A Ph.D. in Physics, Polymer Physics, Surface and Colloid Science, Materials Science, or Physical Chemistry, with 1-2 years postdoc experience or work experience (Formulation experience is a plus).
- Experience designing experiments with advanced characterization by DSC, DMA, TGA, FTIR, SEM, XPS, AFM, and TOF-SIMS for thin films.
- Experience characterizing the complex fluids by Rheology and surface /interface phenomena by contact angles/ surface tension and interfacial tension measurements is a plus.
- Good conceptual, analytical, problem solving, and organizational skills.
- Creative and self-motivated. Be able to think out of the box and willing to take an extra step to get job done.
- Strong communication skills and demonstrated track record of working in a cross-functional team environment
- Must be legally eligible to work in the US on an on-going basis.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.