of Director, Product Safety - APAC.
Reporting to the Vice President, Product Safety, Regulatory Affairs and
Claims Substantiation APAC, this position will be based in Shanghai, China
Role / Responsibilities:
will have full functional responsibilities, including managing and leading a
team of technical individuals responsible for the review and compliance of the
safety of raw materials and finished products, as well as the support of claims
related to safety and the review of consumer issues related to the Company's
products. S/he will lead and mentor a
group of highly technical professionals in Toxicology and Clinical Safety
functions. The Director, Product
Safety-APAC will report into the Vice President, Product Safety, Regulatory Affairs and Claims
Substantiation, whose remit covers Safety and Toxicology, Regulatory Affairs, Post
Market Surveillance and Claim Substantiation for the APAC region. This position offers the
successful candidate who possesses the ambition to grow the opportunity to be
groomed for successorship.
representative responsibilities will include, but not necessarily be limited
to, the following:
- Manage a team of highly skilled technical
professionals within the global Research & Innovation organization.
- Mentor and develop current product safety
- Work with senior management on issues related
to safety in terms of Company responses and positions on L'Oreal's
products and safety protocols.
- Manage the long term mission of the group in
evaluating raw materials and the clinical trials on the finished products
- Work towards the harmonization of testing
protocols and determinations of the necessary evaluations needed for raw
materials and finished products.
- Follow APAC toxicology issues to identify
those that may have legal and global regulatory impacts (CFDA guidelines, CHINA
NIFDC programs, ASEAN Cosmetic Directives, KFMDS, etc).
- Participate as a L'Oreal representative and
product safety expert on EUCCC, CAFCCI, ACA and other external liaison
task forces to monitor and address any safety-related issues as they
- Assure raw materials approved for use comply
with regulations in various countries and in compliance with corporate
policies and guidelines.
- Ensure the safety attestations and claims
certificates are completed by the group to support launches and
- Partner with APAC Regulatory Affairs and
Government Affairs in lobbying on strategic regulatory issues and helping
shape the regulatory evolution in strategic countries for the Group in the
Experience / Qualifications:
- Ph.D. degree in Toxicology or related
discipline from a university in major Western countries, along with a
minimum of 10 years' industry experience is required; experience working
in the cosmetics industry would be preferred but not absolutely required
- DABT preferred
- Technical expertise and credibility in the
toxicology area combined with prior team leadership experience and the
demonstrated ability to be a strong and effective manager of people.
- Knowledge of industry testing standards
related to safety.
- Ability to do cutting edge, scientific work
and serve as purveyor over a large number of multiple programs.
- Ability and willingness to lead strategy
while also serving as a hands-on, roll-up-the-sleeves leader.
- Participation in various technical and liaison
organizations within the industry.
- Excellent organizational skills and the
ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Ability to interact successfully within a
Research & Innovation environment.
- Experience working in a Global organization.
- Ability to work in an exhilarating,
fast-paced, highly matrixed environment.
- Flexible and adaptable.
- Multi-lingual with fluency in both English
and Chinese (Mandarin)