The position of Director, Product Safety - APAC. Reporting to the Vice President, Product Safety, Regulatory Affairs and Claims Substantiation APAC, this position will be based in Shanghai, China
Role / Responsibilities:
This position will have full functional responsibilities, including managing and leading a team of technical individuals responsible for the review and compliance of the safety of raw materials and finished products, as well as the support of claims related to safety and the review of consumer issues related to the Company's products. S/he will lead and mentor a group of highly technical professionals in Toxicology and Clinical Safety functions. The Director, Product Safety-APAC will report into the Vice President, Product Safety, Regulatory Affairs and Claims Substantiation, whose remit covers Safety and Toxicology, Regulatory Affairs, Post Market Surveillance and Claim Substantiation for the APAC region. This position offers the successful candidate who possesses the ambition to grow the opportunity to be groomed for successorship.
Additional representative responsibilities will include, but not necessarily be limited to, the following:
- Manage a team of highly skilled technical professionals within the global Research & Innovation organization.
- Mentor and develop current product safety teams.
- Work with senior management on issues related to safety in terms of Company responses and positions on L'Oreal's products and safety protocols.
- Manage the long term mission of the group in evaluating raw materials and the clinical trials on the finished products
- Work towards the harmonization of testing protocols and determinations of the necessary evaluations needed for raw materials and finished products.
- Follow APAC toxicology issues to identify those that may have legal and global regulatory impacts (CFDA guidelines, CHINA NIFDC programs, ASEAN Cosmetic Directives, KFMDS, etc).
- Participate as a L'Oreal representative and product safety expert on EUCCC, CAFCCI, ACA and other external liaison task forces to monitor and address any safety-related issues as they arise.
- Assure raw materials approved for use comply with regulations in various countries and in compliance with corporate policies and guidelines.
- Ensure the safety attestations and claims certificates are completed by the group to support launches and registrations.
- Partner with APAC Regulatory Affairs and Government Affairs in lobbying on strategic regulatory issues and helping shape the regulatory evolution in strategic countries for the Group in the APAC region.
Experience / Qualifications:
- Ph.D. degree in Toxicology or related discipline from a university in major Western countries, along with a minimum of 10 years' industry experience is required; experience working in the cosmetics industry would be preferred but not absolutely required
- DABT preferred
- Technical expertise and credibility in the toxicology area combined with prior team leadership experience and the demonstrated ability to be a strong and effective manager of people.
- Knowledge of industry testing standards related to safety.
- Ability to do cutting edge, scientific work and serve as purveyor over a large number of multiple programs.
- Ability and willingness to lead strategy while also serving as a hands-on, roll-up-the-sleeves leader.
- Participation in various technical and liaison organizations within the industry.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Ability to interact successfully within a Research & Innovation environment.
- Experience working in a Global organization.
- Ability to work in an exhilarating, fast-paced, highly matrixed environment.
- Flexible and adaptable.
- Multi-lingual with fluency in both English and Chinese (Mandarin)