Do you want to work at the bench on the formulation of new and innovative products related to consumers' hair care & styling routines across the globe?
Then L'Oréal Research & Innovation (R&I) might be exactly the place you have always been looking for!
For more than one hundred years, L’Oréal believes that Beauty needs Science. In a world now transformed by digital technology and the emergence of new scientific Domains, we are confident in our ability to turn these opportunities into major innovations, closely linked to the new consumer expectations all over the world. Science & Technology are allowing us to invent safe, dependable, sustainable & responsible beauty products and experiences that will change people’s lives. L’Oréal Research and Innovation has continuously invested upstream in its research with a high level of ambition. Our 3800+ L'Oréal R&I people are talented and highly skilled, located in major markets, working in a cooperative way, opened to the world.
Inside L’Oréal’s Research & Innovation Division, Development is responsible for working closely with our over 35 brands to adapt and innovate formulations into new and exciting products based on consumer and marketing insights. Development of great products requires building strong, international collaborations across different functions to ensure that products are seen from inception to officialization for our local and global launch deadlines.
We are currently seeking a talented and innovative Hair Care & Styling Development Chemist to join our Development department located at our Clark, New Jersey facility for Research and Innovation. In this role, you are responsible for the creative and technical aspects of specific product development categories. You'll maintain awareness of scientific literature, patents, raw material technology, processing methodology, and marketing/consumer trends required to perform innovative product development assignments in an efficient manner. You'll also be overseeing a safe and orderly laboratory environment.
- In our Consumer Products Division (CPD), you will help lead and develop innovative hair care and styling products.
- Develop technically robust solutions that are breakthroughs in product innovation
- Identify breakthrough technologies.
- Transfer and/or develop in vitro evaluation methods to speed up the screening of hair care and styling oriented technologies
- Work in a matrix reporting organization in a team environment with local and international research and innovation teams.
- Develop and refine product formulas at the bench
- Perform product stability testing on all formulas and resolve any issues that may arise
- Ensure smooth transition of products and technologies to other development laboratories
- Propose new technical concepts in the field of hair care and styling
- Grow and develop your expertise in hair care and styling chemistry
- Work closely with Innovative Raw Materials Department, suppliers, and universities to identify new raw materials and new technologies with potential benefits for hair care and styling applications.
- Develop defined patent strategies that will safeguard the formula and technology invented.
- Work closely with the labs and scale-up/pilot plants to ensure smooth transition of new products and technologies.
- Communicate and present the technology of new products to the strategic committee and colleagues from different geographic locations and different categories within the company.
- Maintain good and current knowledge of competitor’s patent environments and close awareness of consumer need gap and marketing trends.
- A minimum of a Bachelor's Degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering or related science is required.
- 1-3 years of experience in a laboratory environment is required. Experience in hair care, hair styling, hair color, makeup, or personal care products a plus.
- Expertise in chemistry, understanding surface-interface properties and surface characterization a plus.
- Strong communication, presentation and project management skills.
- An established self-awareness, in terms of understanding your own culture, identity, biases, prejudices, power privilege, and stereotypes.
- Ability to work independently and to drive the project forward with minimum supervision.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to share and teach in the area of expertise with experts and non-experts alike.
- Someone who is innovative and resourceful in problem solving technical challenges
- Someone who can achieve results without compromising integrity
- Someone who has a scientific curiosity and passion for consumer products
- Creative and self-motivated.
- Someone who values innovating and pushing boundaries with an entrepreneurial spirit
- In tune with or interested in hair care and styling product trends and attributes
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application for a recognized disability under applicable law, please email USApplicationAccommodation@support.lorealusa.com
. Please note this email will only respond to specific requests for assistance completing the application as a request for accommodation for a disability. All others will not be considered.