Within our Open Innovation Department, the Business Development team is responsible for developing external innovation strategies and negotiating relevant partnerships (e.g., Start-ups / Companies / Universities / Research Centers), to provide access to disruptive innovations for our Research & Innovation.
As a Junior Business Developer, you will support the Business Development Team to ensure the transformation of strategic initiatives with our external partners into business opportunities. You evaluate opportunities with other colleagues in Open Innovation Department, ensure the quality of the relationship with our external partners in a well-balanced "technical/business" equilibrium.
Type of contract : permanent contract
Location : Saint-Ouen, Ile de France
1) Support in Open Innovation activities
- Work closely with Application Research Laboratories on identifying potential needs and supporting transformation of external technologies into business opportunities.
- Work with the sourcing/mapping teams and experts who are in charge of identifying external actors capable of responding to our R&D technological challenges.
- Accompany teams in partnership commitment decision making: prepare support documents for the steering committees and/or relative decision bodies, and be the preferred point of contact with external partners
- Support Open Innovation actions dedicated to a specific domain: Hackathon, inspirational days, challenges…
2) Partnership negotiation and alliance management (for Europe based external partners)
- Provide support to the deal team lead by the Senior Business Developer who will conduct the negotiation of the proper business model and appropriate agreement structure.
- Prepare and review deal contracts and terms with the dedicated deal team (type of agreement, work plan, deliverable, milestones)
- Coordinate the negotiation of the deal terms with partners (term sheet).
- Support the partnership negotiation with the Senior Business Developer until agreement execution.
- Ensure alliance management of strategic partnerships once agreement executed.
3) External opportunities management:
- Manage evaluation/due diligence life cycle in accordance with approval milestones.
- Update internal monitoring databases. Track open items and drive their closure.
- Identify, prioritize and synthesize information on external partners based on given criteria.
- Summarize fact based background research and analysis, and aggregate data to recommend a contact strategy (who, timing, medium, method, etc.).
- Anticipate contact scenarios and prepare planned responses, making adjustments as required.
- Manage the contact and follow-up with the potential external partner, in close collaboration with the scouts, edit the summary of information and their circulation.
4) R&I Due Diligence:
- Collect publicly available information about investments including the organization, mission, vision, strategy, etc. and leverage this to drive the due diligence process with internal and external stakeholders.
- Set up and coordinate with the deal team internally necessary to conduct the due diligence of the opportunity, including the representatives of the scientific team, legal, IP, purchasing, SRC, finance, division/brands, etc.
- Coordinate with due diligence team to ensure meetings and report-outs are coordinated and timely.
- Communicate key findings to internal stakeholders to drive due diligence process forward effectively.
- Verify accuracy of factual data received from external partner, elevating due diligence issues with counterparty to confirm classification and define resolution.
You have :
- Scientific background with a Master’s degree or PhD, preferably in digital, chemistry or physic, ideally + a MBA / Master in innovation management.
- First experience through an internship or apprenticeship in an international environment in R&D or start-up, ideally in technology transfer (licensing in/out, R&D agreement).
- Knowledge in intellectual property, finance and legal is required.
You are :
- Curious, analytical with excellent communication and negotiation skills in an innovating setting.
- Hands-on, reliable and rigorous.
- A team player, collaborative with strong interpersonal skills, works well both independently and with teams.
- Demonstrated project management and leadership skills to coordinate with cross-functional teams in evaluating partnering opportunities and producing high quality assessments of scientific concepts.
- Fluent in English (French is an asset).