Head of Communications and Engagement in Corporate Affairs and Engagement Team
When you look at L’Oréal, what do you see? If all you see is lipstick, look again and experience the Freedom to go Beyond the ordinary. That’s the beauty of L’Oréal. We operate in 150 countries on 5 continents. With 36 international brands and 86,000 employees worldwide, we’re well on our way to fulfilling our common purpose: to create beauty that moves the world.
By 2030 we want to capture over another 1 billion consumers around the world. How? By creating products which meet the infinite diversity of consumers beauty needs and desires, and always through digital innovation. Not only that, but taking our sustainability goals seriously; moving us to a more inclusive and sustainable society, for every generation.
Our brands, dynamic culture, and always being our own challenger mean that we offer freedom and opportunity you won’t get anywhere else.
If you want the Freedom to go Beyond, we’ll see you at L’Oréal.
Our Corporate Division supports the 4000+ strong workforce in L’Oréal UK & Ireland. It’s a fast-paced and dynamic environment when you’ll have visibility over our 4 Divisions and play an integral role in moving our business forward.
We embrace our entrepreneurial spirit in everything we do, always challenging ourselves to new ways of doing things. That means looking for innovative solutions, sustainable developments, and having the freedom to go beyond the ordinary.
Our founder Eugène Schueller once said that “a company is not walls and machines, it’s people, people, people”. Joining our corporate teams means joining the world leader in beauty, at the cutting edge of innovation. But above all, it means becoming part of a team of talented and inspiring people.
Reporting to the Director, Communication & Engagement, the Head of Communications & Engagement is responsible for protecting and promoting the reputation of the L’Oréal Groupe and its brands in the UK and Ireland.
• You’ll be a multi-faceted professional, a brilliant organiser and communicator, natural problem solver and relationship builder. You’re proactive and hands-on, with a drive and determination to succeed. You’re confident building relationships at all levels, with the project skills and resilience to deliver.
• You’re calm under pressure, act with integrity and discretion, and appreciate how integral reputation is to growth. Your bias for action means you thrive in fast-paced, high-pressure environment.
Your key job accountabilities:
• Protect & secure the Group´s reputation by anticipating, mitigating, and managing reputational risk
• Proactively identify and anticipate issues, establishing robust procedures, policies and positions to ensure best in class preparedness and management
• Lead issues listening, horizon scanning, mapping and the development of response strategies for all key audience groups, drafting position papers, FAQs and reactive statements as required
• Provide strategic counsel across the business, working in partnership with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders as appropriate
• Contribute to the development, evolution and operational oversight of internal practices and policies that protect brand and Group reputation
• Review brand advertising and marketing activities to ensure adherence with relevant internal and external codes and provide a reputational risk assessment as required
• Manage reactive press office activity for the Group and provide support to brands as required
• In-house expert in crisis communication management, contribute to training and simulations
• Build L’Oréal’s reputation on key themes by securing impactful media coverage in tier one titles
• Contribute to the identification and development of local stories and content aligned with focus areas to secure engagement across key audiences. Maximise Group content and stories as relevant to local priorities and audiences.
• Contribute to the development of corporate narrative and messaging for proactive activity, leading the development of associated collateral and content
• Provide counsel to senior management on aspects of communications, support senior business leaders through briefings and coaching
• Review corporate reporting carried out by finance, HR, legal and DEI teams, preparing communications materials as required
• Build collaborative relationships with key stakeholders, represent the Group on industry committees as required
• Minimum 8-10 years corporate communications experience, with a media relations and issue management background in a consumer-facing sector
• Experience as a credible and capable adviser at multiple levels on both external and internal communications
• First hand issues and crisis management experience for a consumer brand, proven ability to provide strong communications advice in crisis situations. Experience working with multiple external stakeholders on complex topics.
• Strong writing skills with the ability to adapt messaging and style for diverse audiences and channels
• Ability to rapidly digest and distil complex issues, formulate strategy and execute to a high standard
• Strong media relations skills. Ability to establish, leverage and influence effective networks at all levels - excellent relationship building skills.
• Experience engaging and partnering with c-suite executives on a variety of communications topics, acting as a discreet, trusted advisor
• Strong prioritisation skills, able to balance multiple projects at any one time and move effortlessly between strategy, implementation and tactical opportunities. Capable of achieving results in a face pace, dynamic environment, often to short deadlines
• Proven self-starter with the ability to work independently, think ahead, engage proactively and take initiative, while also working collaboratively as a team player
• Highly motivated with a bias for action, strong team player with positive, collaborative, problem-solving approach
Ambition: You anticipate, think and dream big, demonstrating a high level of aspiration. You are self-driven and show proactivity, especially when seeing problems as challenges. You thrive for exceptional performance.
Judgement: You can balance operational and strategic thinking, challenging the status quo and managing confrontation effectively. You cut quickly through complexity and ambiguity whilst also thinking sustainably and are future-oriented. You reduce complexity to get things done.
Resilience: You always demonstrate purpose and ownership mindset but manage your own energy well. You uphold positivity for others and persist, bouncing back when faced with obstacles. You step back at times and accept limits.
Empathy: You cooperate and network effectively, creating genuine and trustful relationships with diverse people. You are sensitive to beauty and related emotions, always supporting others and showing benevolence. You understand and respect others’ feelings and motives.
Learning Agility: You are a self-motivated learner, showing self-awareness and demonstrating openness and curiosity. You experiment and learn from mistakes and past experiences, always showing courage and stepping out of your comfort zone. You support the development of a learning culture.
We put people development and learning at the heart of our business; we’ll help you master your role, develop your technical expertise and you’ll benefit from exceptional management and leadership programmes. From face-to-face workshops to our global online learning resources, you’re actively encouraged to embed learning into your daily life and are rewarded for continuous improvement. Don’t forget that every employee gets 3 Coursera credits; that means you can get qualifications from over 1000 universities from around the world, with thousands of courses to choose from.
Looking for a good work/life balance? With our new hybrid working scheme, you can take a flexible approach to work as well as benefit from early finishes on Fridays during the summer...so you can enjoy more time with your friends and family.
As any great employer should do, we make sure we look after your financial wellbeing. That’s why we have a great pension plan, profit share scheme and many more incentives to give you the security you deserve. We also put employee health and wellbeing at the front of everything we do; fully training employees as mental health ambassadors to support and educate ourselves further. There’s also the chance to enrol in medical and dental insurance, gym discounts, health check-ups and even yoga and Pilates classes to employees in all of our locations.
Oh, did we mention that as an employee you also get discount sales of up to 70% off throughout the year on our 36 brands? Plus, you also get the option to share that in our Friends and Family sales as well!
How we recruit
At L’Oréal, we take pride in creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment where everyone is welcome and their contributions are valued. When we recruit, hire, train, promote or engage in any other employment practice, we are committed to being an inclusive employer regardless of race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, socioeconomic status, medical condition or disability, or any other protected status. When we look for talent, we welcome difference - different backgrounds, experiences, personalities and perspectives. The beauty we find in our differences gives us the freedom to go beyond. That’s the beauty of L’Oréal.