For more than a hundred years, L’Oréal believes that beauty needs Science. In a world now transformed by digital technology and the emergence of new scientific Domains, we are confident in our ability to turn these opportunities into major innovations, closely linked to the new consumer expectations all over the world. Science & Technology are allowing us to invent safe, trustable, sustainable & responsible beauty products and experiences that will change people’s lives.
L’Oréal R&I has continuously invested upstream in its research with a high level of ambition. Our 3800 L'Oréal R&I people are talented and highly skilled, located in major markets, working in a cooperative way, opened to the world.
We are looking for a talented individual to lead a team of analytical chemists, provide guidance, and ensure compliance with applicable guidelines and regulations related to OTC products. You will work with a broad range of analytical techniques including those outside of your expertise. You will aid the innovation process through the supervision of a team providing accurate and timely analysis of cosmetics and OTC formulations. You will lead a wide range of activities including method development and validation, stability testing, substrate deposition/penetration studies and contribute to the resolution of complex problems within tight time constraints. You will work closely with a team of chemists prioritizing testing, reviewing data and writing technical reports for both routine and non-routine work. You will also be responsible for the team’s professional development.
- Independently design and conduct research to improve current and implement new capabilities in analytical chemistry that are technically relevant to the groups supported.
- Plan, supervise, and assist analytical chemists in conducting analyses of new and existing products/materials. These activities include method development and validation, stability testing, formula troubleshooting, substrate deposition & penetration studies, and general laboratory testing.
- Manage the procurement, development, implementation, and training of new validated quantitative methods for the laboratory.
- Review experimental design, protocols, and analytical data generated in the laboratory prior to their release to ensure completeness and accuracy.
- Write technical reports and present project information to stakeholders and upper management as necessary
- Maintain necessary documentation in accordance with company SOPs and GMP guidelines
- Review, revise, and maintain laboratory quality systems on an ongoing basis.
- Actively participate in L’Oréal’s international analytical technical communities
- Lead staff members, helping them to develop their skills and experience by providing performance appraisals, appropriate training activities and opportunities and implementing development plans.
- Oversees analytical work occurring at contract organizations to ensure accuracy and compliance with applicable guidelines & regulations.
- Manage OTC stability testing and ensures data is accurate and reported to meet timelines.
- Prioritize and coordinate physical and chemical testing activities to meet timeline and budgetary commitments.
- Contributes to the completion of milestones associated with specific projects.
- Remains current with ICH guidelines, GMPs, and regulations related to OTC products, as applicable.
- Maintain awareness of consumer trends, as well as evolving capabilities in the analytical chemistry field.
- Develop working relationships with cross-functional teams, labs, and international colleagues to ensure breadth and depth of the teams’ knowledge. Act as a technical mentor to more junior scientists.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry; Master's Degree or PhD in Chemistry is preferred; with a focus on Analytical Chemistry (preferred)
- 7+ years progressive technical experience required
- Experience in the cosmetics, personal care or consumer goods industries
- 3+ years in a supervisory or management role. Preferably in an analytical laboratory
- Strong working knowledge of analytical techniques including chromatography, spectroscopy and wet chemistry.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly adapt to changes and to work in a diverse environment to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet timelines.
- Experience in the field of analytical chemistry including method development, troubleshooting and experimental design desired.
- Strong knowledge of ICH guidelines, GMPs, and FDA regulations related to OTC products
- Experience with stability testing and expiration dating of OTC products
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with an emphasis on presenting scientific data to technical and non-technical audiences
- Highly organized, detail-oriented with excellent time management skills to simultaneously lead multiple projects to completion in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent knowledge of computer systems and software.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- A team player
- Someone who is innovative and resourceful in problem solving technical challenges
- Someone who can achieve results without compromising integrity
- Someone who has a scientific curiosity and passion for consumer products
- Creative and self-motivated
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application for a recognized disability under applicable law, please email [email protected]
. Please note this email will only respond to specific requests for assistance completing the application as a request for accommodation for a disability. All others will not be considered.