Position Title: Manager, Curl Brands Hair Care & Styling
Location: Clark, New Jersey
Department: Hair Care & Styling Development
For more than one hundred years, L’Oréal believes that beauty needs Science. In a world now transformed by digital technology and the emergence of new scientific domains, we are confident in our ability to turn these opportunities into major innovations, closely linked to the new consumer expectations all over the world. Science & Technology are allowing us to invent safe, trustable, sustainable & responsible beauty products and experiences that will change people’s lives.
L’Oréal Research & Innovation (R&I) has continuously invested upstream in its research with a high level of ambition. Our 4,100 L'Oréal R&I people are talented and highly skilled, located in major markets, working in a cooperative way, open to the world. L’Oréal, Research & Innovation is a vast, multidisciplinary, scientific community working in more than 30 specialized fields, spread out across the world in 21 research centers across 6 regional hubs, 14 evaluation centers, and 49 scientific and regulatory departments. Our employees represent over 60 nationalities and are united for one passion: to invent and perfect innovative, high-performance products for the well-being of all across the world.
To discover more on our scientific and technical functions at L'Oréal Research & Innovation, please check out our website
We are seeking a Manager to join our Curl Brands Hair Care & Styling team in our Clark, NJ Research facility. This role is responsible for all elements of Hair product development from negotiation of feasibility with Marketing (Product Development) to commercialization, including assistance in post-commercialization issue resolution. This role will be supporting the development of products for Carol's Daugter, Mizani, and SoftSheen-Carson. In addition, this position plans and assures execution of all departmental operations and personnel evaluation/development. Also plans, initiates, coordinates, and analyzes new product development programs.
As a Manager in our Hair Care & Style Development team, your main responsibilities are:
- Establish departmental goals and objectives. Also, monitor and control all work against these projects. Evaluate technical staff based upon performance compared to the above goals and objectives.
- Supervise technical staff including priority setting, performance appraisals and training/development.
- Serve as a "creative catalyst" at the R&D/Marketing interface.
- Identify issues with new/existing products for R&D management.
- Coordinate scale-up and initial successful commercial manufacture of new products with L'Oreal or contract manufacturing personnel.
- Identify opportunities to achieve efficiency in plant manufacturing with innovative processing/filling technology and/or alternate raw material sources.
- Play a major role in the development of overall Photoprotection R&D goals, objectives, and strategies.
- Recommend strategies for implementation of group's goals and objectives.
To Succeed in this Position, You Have:
- Bachelor's, Master’s or PhD in Chemistry or related science, PhD preferred, along with 8+ years' experience in the skincare products, specifically in sun care formulation preferred.
- Supervisory experience required.
- Experience in leadership role is desirable
- Must be able to prioritize, handle multiple projects, and work with various groups within a matrix organization.
- Must be adept at giving technical presentations to large groups of professionals.
- Knowledgeable and willing to delve into emulsion theory, design, and processing.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills
- Previous experience in Hair formulations.
- Proven leadership skills with a strong results orientation, positive "hands on" attitude and a sense of urgency to get things done with demonstrated grace and even temperament under pressure.
- Authorization to work in the United States on a full-time, permanent, ongoing basis without the need for legal sponsorship now or in the future (required)
To Succeed in this Position, You Are:
- Achieves results, with integrity
- Interacts effectively
- Displays scientific curiosity and passion for haircare
- A self-starter with a passion for the industry and ability to operate independently
- Well organized and hard-working and a team-player.
- A people first leader
What's In It For You:
- Corporate Short-Term Incentives (Corporate Profit-Sharing Bonus, Individual Performance Bonuses based on level)
- Competitive Benefit Package (Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K, Pension Plan)
- Hybrid Work Policy (Up to 2 Days per week work from home for eligible roles, subject to manager approval)
- Flexible Time Off (Paid Company Holidays, Paid Vacation, Vacation Buy Program, Volunteer Time, Summer Fridays & More!)
- Access to Company Perks (VIP Access to L’Oréal’s Internal Shop for Discounted Products)
- Learning & Development Opportunities (Unlimited Access to E-learnings, Lunch & Learn Sessions, Mentorship Programs, & More!)
- Employee Resource Groups (Think Tanks and Innovation Squads)
- Access to Mental Health & Wellness Programs
Don’t meet every single requirement? At L'Oréal, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and innovative workplace. If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with the qualifications listed in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways! You may just be the right candidate for this or other roles!
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application for a recognized disability under applicable law, please email [email protected]. Please note this email will only respond to specific requests for assistance completing the application as a request for accommodation for a disability. All others will not be considered.
Our Safe Together Plan: Your safety is our highest priority. We will proceed with caution and adhere to enhanced protection standards to ensure our sites are safe for all employees. We must all operate with the shared responsibility for each other’s health & safety in mind.