I. MAJOR FUNCTION
In our newly redesigned organization, the role of Invention Domain is to identify and develop disruptive technologies that will address future consumer needs and transform the beauty industry in more sustainable and disruptive ways. The function is responsible for early identification, evaluation and development of new Actives, materials and formulations, including anti-oxidants, bioactives, Smart Materials, composites etc. in partnership with other domains such as Application Domains and Product Development Domains. As a Global organization, the Invention Domain is a Global function operating from many countries including France, Japan, India, China and the L’Oréal USA is embedded in various strategic projects and leads many of them. A key measure of success for the Domain is to create high performing materials, actives, formulations and prototypes that are protected by strong, strategic and holistic intellectual property for the group. Working closely with cross functional teams, this position requires high technical skills as well as a strong attitude for working in multi-expertize, multi-cultural teams with agility. This is a highly technical position will require continuous learning and in-depth working knowledge in Material Sciences, Chemistry, and experience with problem definition, experimental design/execution, and problem solving. This key technical position will allow one to express oneself with in the entrepreneurial culture of the L’Oréal group and be part of the creation of beauty of the future.
II. PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Translate consumer needs into technical problem statements, identify right material technologies to address the needs and beauty aspirations to deliver various consumer perceivable benefits for both skin (anti-ageing) and hair (styling, coloring, repair).
- Design and conduct experiments individually as well as with team, to validate hypothesis and performance targets
- Interact with various groups within Domains of Invention, Domains of Application and Development, Safety, Regulatory and Claims (SRC), to ensure new materials and composite are meeting the needs of the broader priorities.
- Maintain a healthy external focus on new technology developments and Conduct literature searches, IP landscaping as needed by oneself and through partnership with the IP and legal departments to ensure that the latest technologies are explored for relevant applications in creative ways and we create competitive advantage
- Participate in discussions on new technologies and materials and formulations and contribute to strengthening of projects
- Represent Domain of Invention to support new and existing product development and application goals as needed by projects
- Expected to be an effective communicator across the organization to provide clear recommendations on various new Materials, actives and formulations to both scientific and non-scientific audiences
III. JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Material Sciences, Bio-Physics, Bio-Materials, Chemical Engineering, Pharmacology, Bio-Chemistry or comparable Sciences with 0-5 years Experience
- Experience in cosmetics/personal care/consumer healthcare/ chemical industries is a plus
- Excellent communication (verbal, written) and interpersonal skills required with high sensitivity to a very diverse global culture
- Well organized and flexible with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced highly matrixed environment while meeting established deadlines
- Demonstrated skills in analyzing, reporting and documenting information with attention to detail
- Ability to work independently in a matrix environment both as a team member and as a leader
Appropriate and commensurate with the increasing safety demands of the Americas Region (North America, Central America and South America).
Operates under general supervision with the ability to make decisions independently and assess when escalation is appropriate. Collaborate with international colleagues to ensure global consistency, efficiency, and harmonization and potentially lead global projects.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application for a recognized disability under applicable law, please email USApplicationAccommodation@support.lorealusa.com
. Please note this email will only respond to specific requests for assistance completing the application as a request for accommodation for a disability. All others will not be considered.