Position Title: Director, Analytical Chemistry Innovation & Expertise
Position Location: Clark, New Jersey
For more than a hundred years, L’Oréal believes that beauty needs Science. In a world now transformed by digital technology and the emergence of new scientific Domains, we are confident in our ability to turn these opportunities into major innovations, closely linked to the new consumer expectations all over the world. Science & Technology are allowing us to invent safe, trustable, sustainable & responsible beauty products and experiences that will change people’s lives.
L’Oréal R&I has continuously invested upstream in its research with a high level of ambition. Our 3800 L'Oréal R&I people are talented and highly skilled, located in major markets, working in a cooperative way, opened to the world.
We are looking for a talented individual to lead our Analytical Innovation & Expertise Team!
As the Director for the Analytical Chemistry Innovation & Expertise team you will provide strategic leadership to ensure we provide the business with the highest quality data and insights needed to further our beauty care business. You will be responsible for management and development of the Innovation & Expertise analytical team to support the attainment of corporate goals.
You Will . . .
- Be a creative and strategic leader with passion for innovation and show ability to build a forward-thinking outlook, remove barriers, develop people, and continuously thrive to raise the technical skills/expertise of the staff members.
- Champion innovation and leads the way to take the analytical Innovation & Expertise program to the next level. Identify innovation opportunity areas and creates a plan on how to implement, bring those to live, and promote/communicate benefits with our business partners.
- Show ability to convey ideas, and design experiments to test them to confirm project technical feasibility.
- Oversee initiatives to bring new products to market on schedule and within department budget.
- Identify new consumer trends, technologies, and capabilities to provide unsurpassed support to our business partners.
- Represents the voice of the analytical department when engaged in product development activities. Provides strategic leadership in support and execution of testing strategies across brands to meet project timelines.
- Create an open & collaborative environment fostering team communication, enabling people to perform at their best.
- Manage the daily functional work of a team of analytical chemists with diverse expertise. Will assess teams needs, define and target specific and measurable goals for the team, and assign work in accordance with business priority and individual capability.
- Assist analytical chemists in conducting analyses of new and existing products/materials as needed.
- Provide information to partners and upper management by preparing analyses, reports, and recommendations.
- Maintain knowledge, understanding, and adhere to safety policies, local/international regulations & practices, and company policies.
- Lead internal projects and modules within complex, cross-functional initiatives.
- Work effectively with other department leaders to drive company strategy and initiatives to completion.
- Drives problem-solving and provides technically sound recommendations.
- Manage multiple priorities and work under tight deadlines.
- Actively participate in L’Oréal’s international analytical technical communities.
You Have . . .
- Completed a Ph.D. in Chemistry with a focus on Analytical Chemistry or related fields (required).
- 8+ years of relevant, industry, analytical chemistry experience is required. Experience in an analytical lab manager role in the cosmetics or beauty industry is a plus.
- 3+ years of experience in a people managing role with direct reports required
- Track record of innovation and capability building within a laboratory setting.
- Have a strong experimental background and skills using mass spectrometry to solve challenging technical problems and develop novel methods/assays.
- Experience with LC/GC MS-based systems (QTrap LC-MS/MS, TripleTOF LC-MS/MS, GC-MSD, GC x GC-TOF, others) required
- Knowledge around automation in the analytical laboratory and its implementation (liquid handlers, robots, others) preferred
- General knowledge across multiple analytical disciplines, specifically surface science (AFM, SEM,..), mass spectrometry, and chromatography (LC & GC) is a plus.
- Visionary - Helps shape the short & long-term strategy and technology choices for the Innovation & Expertise analytical team.
- Experience managing large projects within a complex matrixed organization.
- Highly effective organizational planning skills and project management of multiple initiatives is required.
- Ability to act decisively and effectively deal with change.
- Ability to take calculated risks, be proactive and self-directed.
- Strong analytical thinking and problem-solving skills ranging from conceptualization to implementation.
- Ability to motivate others and work collaboratively with cross-functional internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with an emphasis on presenting scientific data to technical and non-technical audiences
- Excellent knowledge of computer systems and software.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time, permanent, ongoing basis, without the need for sponsorship now or in the future.
You Are . . .
- A strong leader and a great team player
- Someone who is innovative and resourceful in problem solving technical challenges
- Someone who can achieve results without compromising integrity
- Someone who has a scientific curiosity and passion for consumer products
- Someone with passion to lead a highly skilled team
- Creative and self-motivated
What’s In It For You:
- Competitive Benefits Package (Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K, Pension Plan)
- Flexible Time Off (Paid Company Holidays, Paid Vacation, Vacation Buy Program, Volunteer Time, Summer Fridays & More!)
- Access to Company Perks (VIP Access to L’Oréal’s Internal Company Store for Discounted Products)
- Learning & Development Opportunities (Unlimited Access to E-learnings, Lunch & Learn Sessions, Mentorship Programs, & More!)
- Employee Resource Groups (Think Tanks and Innovation Squads)
- Access to Mental Health & Wellness Programs
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application for a recognized disability under applicable law, please email [email protected]. Please note this email will only respond to specific requests for assistance completing the application as a request for accommodation for a disability. All others will not be considered.