Position Title: Manager, Hair Instrumental & Clinical Evaluation
Location: Clark, New Jersey
As a Manager -within the Evaluation Intelligence (EI) – Instrumental/Clinical Science Team, this position requires an experienced and proven leader equipped with the confidence and skills to manage high profile projects and a team of Technical instrumental/clinical researchers, complemented with the tools needed to negotiate timelines, budgets, and priorities. This Leader should have a background in Instrumental/clinical testing design, while also possessing excellent analytical, strategic thinking and collaboration skills which will be essential for leading studies and teams within the different L’Oreal US brands.
- Oversees practices and procedures carried out for Instrumental/Clinical/Claims for Hair Metier testing operation
- Partners with the formulators/Labs and Category Leaders (CLs) to determine the Instrumental/Clinical testing needs using Instrumental In-House and/or global capability testing, and/or Instrumental/Clinical tests with external vendors for claims substantiation and/or product performance; obtaining clear objectives and context for projects.
- Understands the strategy for the Hair métier categories and drives a strategic innovative and pragmatic Instrumental/Clinical product evaluation for any product technologies.
- Develop each team member by establishing and managing performance evaluations, development plans according to their position, experience, strengths and development needs.
- Develop the team by ensuring that each team member is aligned on their personal and team goals, values and vision by holding regular meetings, providing continuous and efficient feedback, encouraging feedback from team, promoting collaboration within the team and across function, and providing recognition.
- Develops and maintains strong relationships with other departments including EI Sciences, CLs, Labs, SRC, and Marketing in US and internationally.
- Leads the partnership with Global Instrumental/Clinical team across the Hair product categories to align on testing strategies and share results throughout the year
- Drives creative research approaches and strategic recommendations for product development including design of Hybrid Testing, partnering with consumer and/or sensory/expert teams.
- Support new, forward thinking evaluation techniques, methodologies and strategies for the future of Instrumental/Clinical evaluation, providing recommendation on the test design based on project objective
- Aid in implementation of creative and digital capabilities to enhance research learnings and communication of results
- Prioritize project workload with Hair Care and Hair color Lab and CLs
Key Challenges include:
- Management of conflicting priorities within designated projects.
- Delivery against established timelines.
- Development of team and team motivation.
- BS/BA degree in a related science with 10+ years’ experience, or MS degree in a related science and 6+ years’ experience in technical research and understanding of management within a fast paced consumer goods company; preferred areas of study include Biological, Physical or Material Sciences, Chemical or Biomedical/Bio-Engineering, Physics/Optics, Color Science or related fields (required)
- 5+ years of experience managing a team (required)
- Experience with Cosmetic industry is a plus
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to think strategically, develop tactics and measurable implementation plans and able to transform solid thinking into action.
- Results oriented, entrepreneurial and self-motivated, with solid planning and organizational capabilities, a bias for action, and the capability to define, evaluate, decide, and take risks.
- High level of passion for consumer centricity during the product development process.
- Able to translate evaluation plans into actionable recommendations to drive exceptional consumer satisfaction.
- Strong leadership and motivational skills to drive agile product design and develop teams.
- Previous project management experience; clear understanding of project set-up and timelines
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, presentation (written/oral) and organizational skills
- Confident engaging with and presenting to senior executives.
- Proficient in MS Office, data entry and knowledge of statistical software programs (such as Compusense, SIMS, Spotfire etc.).
- Must be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time, permanent, ongoing basis, without the need for sponsorship now or in the future
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application for a recognized disability under applicable law, please email [email protected]. Please note this email will only respond to specific requests for assistance completing the application as a request for accommodation for a disability. All others will not be considered.