The Senior Counsel will play a key role within L’Oreal Vietnam, part of the L’Oréal Group, the world’s number one beauty company. You will be our first lawyer in L’Oreal Vietnam, responsible for providing timely, accurate and legally compliant advice and support in line with business objectives and serving as the entity’s Data Privacy officer. The Senior Counsel will work with all aspects of the business, including the commercial, marketing, digital, purchasing, finance, IT, HR, market research, consumer advisory, scientific and technical-regulatory, and corporate affairs and engagement teams.
The role reports to CFO and is based in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
Key job accountabilities
- Negotiate, review and draft all types of contracts, corporate governance and legal documents
- Advise in all areas of the law, including: commercial, corporate, marketing, competition, information technology, data analytics, data privacy, IP, tax, labor and employment, and real property
- Serve as the Data Privacy officer for L'Oréal Vietnam, responsible for promoting, coordinating, supporting and monitoring Data Privacy compliance throughout the business
- Monitor and coordinate on IP issues, counterfeiting matters and brand protection
- Support finance, internal control and ethics to maintain a strong ethical culture and deep compliance knowledge
- Learn and embed Group norms in all aspects of the business and increase awareness of Group best practices
- Devise and offer effective training for colleagues on aspects of the law and upcoming laws relevant to their business
- Assess, strategize and implement legal support systems
- Develop awareness within the business of the capabilities of the legal team and encourage active legal involvement in operational decision making
- Liaise with counterparts at the SAPMENA Zone, at Paris-based corporate centre and in countries across the Zone
Essential qualifications and skills
- Knows Vietnam’s laws and regulations
- Qualified to practice in Vietnam, France, a UK Commonwealth jurisdiction or a US state.
- Strong and relevant track record of advising on legal issues in an in-house setting
- Minimum of 7-10 years of legal experience
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in a data privacy-related role strongly preferred
- Strategic thinker with ability to move effortlessly between strategy, implementation and tactical opportunities
- Ability to establish, exploit and influence effective networks at all levels of an organization
- Ability to rapidly digest and distil complex issues and formulate strategy and responses
- Confident, persuasive individual capable of managing and resolving difficult situations
- Knowledge of selective distribution networks, free-standing stores and e-commerce strategies is an advantage
- Excellent communication skills (written and spoken), and negotiation and presentation skills
- Vietnamese and English fluency required
What we look for
You set yourself demanding goals and demolish obstacles to achieve them. Focused on quality and attention to detail, you will not compromise standards.
You define your own roles and constantly look for ways to exceed what has been asked. You approach questions with an understanding of commercial sensibilities and with good judgment.
You value innovation as a business strategy and exhibit curiosity as a habit. You also try to keep up to the minute with current trends. Ultimately, you share our belief in flexibility as a way of life.
You are a real leader, creating a compelling vision and then communicating it with style and charisma. You’ve always been comfortable defending a point of view. You’ll thrive on the challenges that an international environment brings.