Position Title: Senior Scientist I, Clinical & Instrumental Evaluation Intelligence, Makeup
Location: Clark, NJ
Department: Research & Innovation Evaluation Intelligence
For more than one hundred years, L’Oréal believes that beauty needs Science. In a world now transformed by digital technology and the emergence of new scientific domains, we are confident in our ability to turn these opportunities into major innovations, closely linked to the new consumer expectations all over the world. Science & Technology are allowing us to invent safe, trustable, sustainable & responsible beauty products and experiences that will change people’s lives.
L’Oréal Research & Innovation (R&I) has continuously invested upstream in its research with a high level of ambition. Our 4,100 L'Oréal R&I people are talented and highly skilled, located in major markets, working in a cooperative way, open to the world. L’Oréal, Research & Innovation is a vast, multidisciplinary, scientific community working in more than 30 specialized fields, spread out across the world in 21 research centers across 6 regional hubs, 14 evaluation centers, and 49 scientific and regulatory departments. Our employees represent over 60 nationalities and are united for one passion: to invent and perfect innovative, high-performance products for the well-being of all across the world.
To discover more on our scientific and technical functions at L'Oréal Research & Innovation, please check out our website
We are seeking a Senior Scientist I to join our Makeup Clinical & Instrumental Evaluation Intelligence team in our Clark, NJ Research facility. As a key member of the team, you will coordinate and execute instrumental and clinical studies on makeup products to ensure testing is conducted in accordance with applicable local and global regulatory compliance while also maintaining certain standard L’Oréal global practices. In addition, you will be responsible to design the appropriate test from a claims substantiation perspective with the ambition to use the test results for labeling and communication of product launches.
In this role you will be working cross-functionally with the Development Labs from multiple brands in all Makeup categories (face, eye, lip, and nail), as well as safety, regulatory, and claims legal teams.
As a Senior Scientist in our Makeup Clinical and Instrumental Evaluation Intelligence Team your main responsibilities are:
- Organize, plan, and effectively execute clinical and instrumental testing for claims substantiation to support product launches in the makeup category;
- Drive projects from inception to completion with quality, timeliness, and professionalism with excellent attention to detail;
- Demonstrate leadership and build strong relationships with cross functional teams; collaborate with the team and leverage expertise and industry point-of-view to seamlessly design and coordinate testing, including study design, recommendation of new methodologies, and data interpretation for product launches;
- Work closely and independently with Clinical Research Organizations (CRO’s) to design, coordinate, and execute appropriate studies to support claims substantiation; build strong relationships with CRO partners to ensure successful study completion and adherence to study protocol and claims requirements;
- Knowledge of good clinical practices (GCP) and ability to implement GCP into day-to-day work by reviewing study documentation critically and ensure CRO’s are in compliance with GCP; mitigate risks in testing with CRO by maintaining strong relationship and clear lines of communication to address issues promptly and collaboratively;
- Support new, forward thinking evaluation techniques, methodologies and strategies for the future of evaluation, provide recommendations on the test design based on project objectives; may include identifying and onboarding new potential CRO’s for instrumental and clinical testing and/or work with existing CRO network to identify new evaluation techniques for claims substantiation;
- Interpret test results from claims studies to ensure the data analysis and outputs comply with claims requirements; conduct deep dive into specific targets and attribute understanding as applicable; succinctly synthesize the information and review reports to meet business and claims objectives;
- Link research and claims objectives to study design, results, and intended market communication; clearly present results to relevant stakeholders and translate data/key insights into actionable recommendations by using a story-telling approach;
- Independently perform project tracking and scheduling; work is under general supervision with manager to prioritize project workload;
To Succeed in this Position, You Have:
- Bachelors with 4-6 years of relevant working experience; OR Masters with 2-4 years of relevant working experience; preferred areas of study include Biological, Physical or Material Sciences, Chemical Engineering or Bio-Engineering, Bioinformatics or related fields;
- 2-3 years of experience designing, planning and managing instrumental or clinical studies for product testing within cosmetics, chemicals, or pharmaceutical industries preferred;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication (written/oral), and organizational skills a must;
- Knowledge of US/ international cosmetics and OTC regulations a plus;
- Experience coordinating product testing with 3rd party vendors a must;
- Capable of working in a matrix organization, including strong teamwork skills a must;
- Statistical analysis/interpretation experience a must;
- Scientific writing/report writing skills a must;
- Knowledge of makeup, cosmetic properties, and substrate – product relationship a plus;
- Engagement with the makeup category and keep a pulse on new trends, claims, or product formats a plus;
- Must be able to work on several complex and/or high-profile projects at the same time with flexibility and organization;
- Must be proficient in Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook; strong ability to learn new programs/systems and apply to day-to-day work;
- Authorization to work in the United States on a full-time, permanent, ongoing basis without the need for legal sponsorship now or in the future (required).
To Succeed in this Position, You Are:
- Someone with strong interpersonal skills. You must be able to interact successfully with all levels of personnel within R&I and with other divisions and departments, both written and verbal
- Capable of working in a matrixed organization, including strong teamwork skills a must.
- Someone with strong organizational skills and an analytical mindset to provide clear and summarized information to stakeholders and drive complex projects to timely completion.
- Willing to take initiative.
What's In It For You:
- Corporate Short-Term Incentives (Corporate Profit-Sharing Bonus, Individual Performance Bonuses based on level)
- Competitive Benefit Package (Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K, Pension Plan)
- Hybrid Work Policy (Up to 2 Days per week work from home for eligible roles, subject to manager approval)
- Flexible Time Off (Paid Company Holidays, Paid Vacation, Vacation Buy Program, Volunteer Time, Summer Fridays & More!)
- Access to Company Perks (VIP Access to L’Oréal’s Internal Shop for Discounted Products)
- Learning & Development Opportunities (Unlimited Access to E-learnings, Lunch & Learn Sessions, Mentorship Programs, & More!)
- Employee Resource Groups (Think Tanks and Innovation Squads)
- Access to Mental Health & Wellness Programs
Don’t meet every single requirement? At L'Oréal, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and innovative workplace. If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with the qualifications listed in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways! You may just be the right candidate for this or other roles!
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application for a recognized disability under applicable law, please email [email protected]. Please note this email will only respond to specific requests for assistance completing the application as a request for accommodation for a disability. All others will not be considered.
Our Safe Together Plan: Your safety is our highest priority. We will proceed with caution and adhere to enhanced protection standards to ensure our sites are safe for all employees. We must all operate with the shared responsibility for each other’s health & safety in mind.