Job Function: Research & Innovation
Position type: Permanent
Employment type: Full - Time
Location: Washington - Redmond
L’Oréal Beauty Devices Research & Innovation – Job Description
Principal Engineer, Pre-Development
Want to work at the intersection of physics, chemistry and human physiology? Interested in inventing products in a company that really understands how to get them into the hands of millions of people, all around the world? Intrigued by the challenge of building the next generation of beauty devices for brands and products that people love? We’re looking for someone who believes that the best way to predict the future is to invent it. Join us in our vision for a more beautiful tomorrow!
The Principal Engineer is a senior technical role for the Pre-Development innovation function for high volume consumer beauty devices. Pre-Development is charged with internal and external ideation with broad, systematic sourcing of innovation, technical and business analysis of identified product opportunities, down-selection, proof of performance, and functional requirement specification. The team collaborates globally (Paris, New York, Tokyo, Seoul, and other locations) with upstream partners (Advanced Research, Applied Research, and Product Development Marketing) and with downstream partners (Product Development Engineering, Operations, and Brand Marketing) to ensure a robust, high market potential pipeline ready to transfer to development.
The Principal Engineer supplies technical expertise at a systems level, including application areas of cleansing, skincare, anti-aging, haircare, make-up, and others. Additionally, they supply business acumen required to analyze and evaluate product opportunities, and they have a solid understanding of intellectual property, Class 1 light medical / regulatory and other issues that may contribute to or detract from a potential product’s success.
The ideal candidate will have a broad technical background, able to converse knowledgably on subjects from human physiology and microbiology to principles of engineering to applied physics. They will demonstrate a deep technical and intellectual curiosity and a passion for advancing the problem in front of them. They will be motivated to stand up for their thoughts and beliefs, and to constructively and aggressively challenge assumptions as a means of arriving at stronger, more successful products. They will demonstrate a passion for agile development and prototyping, while understanding that an hour at the library can save a month in the laboratory. They will be flexible and adaptable, entrepreneurial in spirit, and will value results over circumstances.
Reports to the Assistant Vice President for Predevelopment Systems Engineering.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Degree in Mechanical, Electrical, or Systems Engineering, or related fields. Advanced degree highly desirable.
· Technical expertise and experience in product evaluation, innovation and development. Expertise in entrepreneurial evaluation of opportunities a strong plus. 10+ years’ experience post undergraduate education.
· Demonstrated capability in innovation, including ideation, patents, and bring-to-market success.
· Excellent communication (verbal, written) and interpersonal relationship-building skills for collaboration with senior marketing and R&D collaborators and vendors.
· Desirable to have competency in engineering, analytic, and project management software tools and methodologies.
· Ability and desire to travel 10-20% of the time.