Position Title: Assistant Vice President, Skin Cleansing, Makeup Removal, & Body Hygiene Development
Location: Clark, New Jersey
Department: Skin Cleansing, Makeup Removal, & Body Hygiene Development
Reports Into: Vice President, Skin Cleansing, Makeup Removal, & Body Hygiene Development
For more than hundred years, L’Oréal believes that beauty needs Science. In a world now transformed by digital technology and the emergence of new scientific domains, we are confident in our ability to turn these opportunities into major innovations, closely linked to the new consumer expectations all over the world. Science & Technology are allowing us to invent safe, trustable, sustainable & responsible beauty products and experiences that will change people’s lives.
L’Oréal Research & Innovation (R&I) has continuously invested upstream in its research with a high level of ambition. Our 4 100 L'Oréal R&I people are talented and highly skilled, located in major markets, working in a cooperative way, open to the world.
The Assistant Vice President in Skin Cleansing, Makeup Removal, & Body Hygiene Development is responsible for providing the overall managerial, technical, and operational administration for the Skin Cleansing, Makeup Removal and Hygiene Products category across our divisions. They provide leadership, direction, development and strategic planning for initiatives for the global category/department and staff.
As an Assistant Vice President in Skin Cleansing, Makeup Removal, & Body Hygiene Development, your main responsibilities are:
- Leads the departmental efforts to identify, recommend, and utilize new product technology across categories and brand. Responsibility of 5+ brands across divisions.
- Approves and issues as final all formulas, either of US or French origin, to manufacturing with all accompanying ingredient and product specifications and clearances as required for general safety, microbiology, claim support, processing, and product/package interaction.
- Ensures team performs under the proper activities, practices, and processes (team of 5) with a people-first leadership mindset
- Tracks the progress of all ongoing projects, verifies schedules, launch dates, and other requirements, and acts as needed to maintain direction and timing, consistent with business plans.
- Develops and maintains a compatible and open working relationship with all other departments including Marketing, CIQ, Manufacturing, Open Manufacturing, Product Safety, Claims etc.
- Plans and executes all departmental system requirements whose objective is to save time through minimization of error, elimination of redundant or repetitive tasks and the assurance of clarity of purpose of all departmental actions.
- Leads all elements of departmental activity focused to identify, screen, and quickly produce prototype products utilizing new technology including visits to the French R&D laboratories, attendance at meetings and seminars worldwide, review of patents and contracts as needed with legal.
- Recommends training and developmental activities for staff, identifies new educational opportunities and assures that all recommended activities occurs and are followed up to measure impact.
- Serves as the technical resource in skin cleansing, makeup removal and hygiene products.
- Develops, issues, and updates semi-annually generic/formulation guidelines in all skin rinse-off product categories for face and body
- Leads the department L'Oreal For The Future activity across divisions to meet the 2030 sustainability objectives
To Succeed In This Position, you have:
- A completed advanced Degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering, or related science is required
- 10+ years of relevant experience in skin R&D and Product Development in either Pharmaceutical or Consumer Products industries is required
- Experience with luxury products, consumer and dermatological skincare products, preferred
- Strong technical background in formulation with an emphasis on surfactant science
- Viewed as a leading innovator and leader in the industry for skin
- Must have good people management skills, leading and developing a team of scientific professionals
- Must be able to articulate and implement a vision and motivate team members to achieve department goals & objectives.
- Must be able to think and plan strategically, with the ability to be creative and think “outside the box”.
- Has a solid knowledge of the competition and well as consumer perceptions and desires to create innovative products across divisions and products.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to work cross-functionally as well as internationally.
- Familiarity with testing methodology and procedures across categories.
- Has solid presentation skills to communicate effectively to top management
- Fluency is French is a plus.
- Must have authorization to work in the United States on a full-time, permanent, ongoing basis, without the need for legal sponsorship now or in the future
What's In It For You:
- Corporate Short Term Incentives (Corporate Profit Sharing Bonus, Individual Performance Bonus)
- Competitive Benefit Package (Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K, Pension Plan)
- Hybrid Work Policy (Up to 2 Days Work from Home for eligible positions)
- Flexible Time Off (Paid Company Holidays, Paid Vacation, Vacation Buy Program, Volunteer Time, Summer Fridays & More!)
- Access to Company Perks (VIP Access to L’Oréal’s Internal Shop for Discounted Products)
- Learning & Development Opportunities (Unlimited Access to E-learnings, Lunch & Learn Sessions, Mentorship Programs, & More!)
- Employee Resource Groups (Think Tanks and Innovation Squads)
- Access to Mental Health & Wellness Programs
Don’t meet every single requirement? At L'Oréal, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and innovative workplace. If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with the qualifications listed in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways! You may just be the right candidate for this or other roles!
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application for a recognized disability under applicable law, please email [email protected]. Please note this email will only respond to specific requests for assistance completing the application as a request for accommodation for a disability. All others will not be considered.
Our Safe Together Plan: Your safety is our highest priority. We will proceed with caution and adhere to enhanced protection standards to ensure our sites are safe for all employees. We must all operate with the shared responsibility for each other’s health & safety in mind.